Ninja H2 banner

$25,000 MSRP for the H2 Street. Price discusssion

33K views 113 replies 25 participants last post by  OKH2 
#1 ·
I LOVE the blower.
But, at $25,000 , I'm out.

I can't justify paying TWICE what I did for a brand new ZX10 ABS.
Especially when compared to what the base 1000cc bikes offer, and what can be had in the aftermarket for BIG power. (Turbo ZX14, etc)

2015 NINJA H2? Supersport Motorcycle by Kawasaki

Since these are street bikes that are subjected to all the issues/dangers/etc that we deal with on the street, I wish we could still buy bare bone versions of 1000cc bikes similar in spec and price to the 2006 GSX-R 1000 that was selling brand new for $9,500.

#2 ·
for $25K I was expecting easily 250 hp, I don't see why there needs to be 100 hp between the H2 and H2R. What I'm most curious about is how available those 'extra' 100 horses are. If its simply a state of tune that one can easily unlock from a competent tuner I think $25K will sound like a bargain, $25K + cost of tune= 300 bhp. OK deal...

As of now I'm leaning a bit towards 1k's side of the garage...

As for the 2006 GSX-R thing, its not 2006 and it will never be 2006 again. That was the golden age of disposable income (ok credit, but who's counting), Powersports got smacked in 08-09 and have never recovered. Used market is so robust, incremental gains yearly mean new purchases have become near superfluous.

#7 ·
for $25K I was expecting easily 250 hp, I don't see why there needs to be 100 hp between the H2 and H2R. What I'm most curious about is how available those 'extra' 100 horses are. If its simply a state of tune that one can easily unlock from a competent tuner I think $25K will sound like a bargain, $25K + cost of tune= 300 bhp. OK deal...
"H2/ENGINE & RIDER SUPPORT/
OVERVIEW

In order to be able to offer intense acceleration and a top speed in a range that most riders have never experienced, it was essential that the engine be able to produce big power. While a large displacement engine could easily provide a high engine output, to ensure a lightweight, compact overall package a compact engine was also desired. Using a supercharged engine enabled both of these engine design requirements to be met: the Ninja H2 has a maximum output of 200 PS and its engine size is on par with other supersport litre-class power units.

Aside from minor differences in the engine unit, and intake and exhaust systems tailored for street use to ensure it meets noise and emissions standards, the supercharged engine is essentially the same as the over 300 PS engine of the closed-course Ninja H2R, delivering an intense acceleration unlike anything you can experience on a naturally aspirated bike. Designed in-house, the immense potential of the highly compact, highly efficient engine is a testament to the technology possessed by the KHI Group." :nerd:

#3 · (Edited)
That's really unfortunate. Yea, I'm out as well. All of that hype.

Could not agree more about the need for bare bones bikes. I think people forget about bikes being $10k. I remember in 2009 there were overstock 2008 CBR1000RR's selling for like $8500.

It's been real, folks.

EDIT: I didn't even see the horsepower numbers...if 200hp is accurate, that is laughable for $25k. Come on, man.

#4 ·
Exactly over stock 08's, powersports (big bikes in particular) have just never ever recovered from that heavy smack. The CBR1000 is still laughably under contented, GSX-R is closer to 10 years unchanged than not, R1 was how long in the tooth before yesterday...

#5 · (Edited)
So I just came across their horsepower claim here

Designed to be the ultimate motorcycle, the street-going Ninja H2 is based closely on the closed-course Ninja H2R. Powered by a 200 PS supercharged engine, it offers intense acceleration, superb high-speed riding potential, supersport-level handling performance, and a sensory experience surpassing anything that riders can find today.
200 PS is ~ 197 hp. Let me get this straight. Kawasaki slapped a supercharger on a modern 1000cc sportbike motor, built up hype about it for at (at least) 3 months, and it has no more horsepower than the top contenders, weighs over 500 lbs (granted those are wet numbers), and they want 25 thousand dollars for it. Is this an April fool's joke?

EDIT: The new Panigale 1299 is 205 hp. At $25k, what else are they trying to compete with? I've gone from disappointed to just flat out confused. I kinda doubt the Panigale will even be $25k, and it has superior suspension :confused:

#6 ·
So I just came across their horsepower claim here

200 PS is ~ 197 hp. Let me get this straight. Kawasaki slapped a supercharger on a modern 1000cc sportbike motor, built up hype about it for at (at least) 3 months, and it has no more horsepower than the top contenders, weighs over 500 lbs (granted those are wet numbers), and they want 25 thousand dollars for it. Is this an April fool's joke?

EDIT: The new Panigale 1299 is 205 hp. At $25k, what else are they trying to compete with? I've gone from disappointed to just flat out confused.
Agreed, to a degree. The motor is clearly capable of 305 hp in the H2R, thats what has me most curious, what is the difference between the two engines? If its simply a state of tune then $25K + the cost of tune will ostensibly equal 300 bhp.

Thats becomes a much different conversation at that point IMO...

But yes otherwise, flat out baffling...

#8 ·
Aside from minor differences in the engine unit, and intake and exhaust systems tailored for street use to ensure it meets noise and emissions standards, the supercharged engine is essentially the same as the over 300 PS engine of the closed-course Ninja H2R, delivering an intense acceleration unlike anything you can experience on a naturally aspirated bike. Designed in-house, the immense potential of the highly compact, highly efficient engine is a testament to the technology possessed by the KHI Group."
This makes me think that the H2 at least deserves a test ride. I think Kawasaki may just be making it sound better than it is though. I'm not convinced that it is way better than its competitors, and it is quite a steep price point.

#14 ·
Its not about throwing money, its always about having the fastest bike out there, I was one of the first one to have the 2010 s1000rr, the bike was fast, then I wanted the 1199 panigale, the bike was okay, not that fast, if you consider 182 on a gps, so all I can say having the h2 reflashed and changing the gears on the super charger will definitely make me happy, keeping the throttle wide open, can wait to see the faces of people that owned worked stage 3 s1000 rr and zx10 as for having stupid money, money is only money, you have to do what makes you happy.Thanks OneArm

#16 ·
I sort of agree. I am a Zero to 100 Guy in both my Cars & Motorcycles or should I say Zero to the speed limit which is usually the case. I am not concerned about the top speed. Consequently, this is the bike for me. I am putting down a 2.5k deposit today in So Calif. I have been waiting for a Kawi that got me excited since I had a 1973 Z1 in 73. In fact I current have a 73 Z1 restored that I am probably going to sell.

#17 ·
congrats guy! You sounds EXACTLY like the target demo Kawasaki is seeking...

y'all remember a few years back when Camaro, Mustang and Challenger all went retro styling? The point then is the same as the point now, follow the money... (i.e who has it....)

#22 ·
I`m seeing here idiots who do not understand anything bike.H2 can not cost the price of two zx10!!!!!!!! I have money to buy this bike, but I`m not stupid for this to happen. People accepted the price very easily, not has least pride, milliners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 ·
It's not priced fairly. It's overpriced and overweight.
But, keep swallowing the Kawi Cool Aid.
I swear that if someone pulled the condescending crap about people not being able to afford the H2 in public, I would make a complete fool out of them.
How stupid and condescending some people can be while not having a clue!

#27 ·
so go...

If you need to sell your house to afford the H2 you're not in the target demographic. Are we supposed to feel bad you don't have the cash? The world is not fair...

#34 ·
Yup, it's all about what sort of value you're actually getting for whatever amount it is you're spending and that compared to other options out there.

Just found out how limited they will be, apparently they're producing 100 units of the H2 and H2R, with a limit like that it makes a price of $25k seem a slight bit better, still too high, but something i wanted to throw in.

#40 ·
As pissed as I am at the $25k price, I am as equally EXCITED and HAPPY for those stepping up to pay a premium for this game changing bike !!!!!

OneArmBandit-
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! Happy for you, man. Thank for posting the docs. Please keep us to date on your progress with your bike. I'm looking forward to living vicariously through you.
I'm hoping I don't regret skipping the H2 like I regret skipping the GTR when it was launched.

#51 ·
H2 bad joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#52 ·
Another for those wh do not know anything about the bike, the frame of which h2 and made of steel tubes ,and much , much cheaper than the delta box frame aluminum the zx10, r1, cbr1000 ,etc, etc !!!!!!!! therefore, do not justify the price of $ 25k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#55 ·
Trellis frames are actually more economical in small quantity applications...

Although construction of a trellis frame needs a more complicated process than, say, an alloy beam frame, it requires only a simple jig and a competent welder. No heavy capital outlay is required, so a trellis frame is ideal for a model that may be made in relatively small numbers, and for this reason, the trellis frame option has found favour with European manufacturers.
There were also packaging benefits to going Trellis over Delta (for example), they're stronger, lighter (delta would of been a much heavier bike for those already complaining about weight) and because of the more open design they're more conducive to cooling, especially with the absence of an intercooler...

Reactions: Fretka
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.