Ninja H2 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s funny how time’s arrow flies. Seems like only yesterday we were in a chill and rainy Milano for the big international motorcycle exposition, drooling over the showstopping new Ninja H2 SX SE with Sean Alexander and Brent J., knocking out non-award-winning videos and wondering what Kawasaki could possibly be thinking to produce such an outrageous motorcycle? Shirley it will be way expensive and unobtainable like the other H2s?
Read more 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE First Ride Review at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I see the SX has been reviewed in MCN and didn’t really improve over the ZZR1400 (ZX14) in terms of speed or power on the dyno. It would appear Kawasaki fought against themselves, charged more money for the new kid on the block and lost!

I assume the SX could be derestricted to more of an extent than the 14 but they’re is no way I’d pay a fairly hefty premium for something slower (and in my opinion far uglier) than the 14.

It’s not been as positively reviewed as the 2012- ZX14 or Ninja H2 did at their launch. The throttle has come in for some major criticism especially when power is shut off (to meet euro 4 I Think)

I’ve still not seen one in the flesh but I’m finding the hype versus results interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The SE isn't about all out speed. It is about eating miles of road efficiently, comfortably, and faster than other sport tourers. Put it up against the Concours and then compare. It has things the 14s don't have like a cruise control , quick shifter. TFT display, side lights, etc. To be a great sport tourer, it needs a shaft drive and then it would be unmatched. If it had a shaft and some form of adjustable windscreen, my Concours would be gone. But alas, the Concours stays for now and the new H2 replaces my 05 ZX10R.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see the SX has been reviewed in MCN and didn’t really improve over the ZZR1400 (ZX14) in terms of speed or power on the dyno. It would appear Kawasaki fought against themselves, charged more money for the new kid on the block and lost!

I assume the SX could be derestricted to more of an extent than the 14 but they’re is no way I’d pay a fairly hefty premium for something slower (and in my opinion far uglier) than the 14.

It’s not been as positively reviewed as the 2012- ZX14 or Ninja H2 did at their launch. The throttle has come in for some major criticism especially when power is shut off (to meet euro 4 I Think)

I’ve still not seen one in the flesh but I’m finding the hype versus results interesting.

I'd like to see a flashed zx14r compared to a flashed sx. Woolich racing is claiming a gain of 50hp to the wheels just by derestricting.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
The one bit that MCN misses is the impending Euro 5 emissions regulations for Europe which come into effect from 2020. The ZZR 1400 only just scraped through Euro 4 and, I suspect, won't be able to meet Euro 5. There is no doubt that the H2 SX will meet Euro 5 ............... So it is likely that, as far as Kawasaki Sports Tourers are concerned, the H2 SX is the future.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'd like to see a flashed zx14r compared to a flashed sx. Woolich racing is claiming a gain of 50hp to the wheels just by derestricting.
That would be interesting. My 2006 ZZR1400 was de-restricted with a Speedo Healer and fitted with a TiForce system. It ran 205.4mph through 1.25 miles at Woodbridge and a 9.84 quarter.
My 2012 ZZR1400 was flashed and fitted with a Brock's system and ran 203.1 in the mile at Elvington. Both bikes were otherwise stock apart from gearing.

I think Pebble is right about the future, better grab a 14 this year if you want one. Rumours about a new 'Busa are circulating and turbo's are being mentioned but I bet if Suzuki do this the capacity will be reduced.

It's like the old V8 muscle cars compared to the modern 2-litre turbo's.

·
Registered
427 Posts
"Rumours about a new 'Busa are circulating and turbo's are being mentioned " .....this has been a rumor for years, much to the frustration of the Busa community!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
"Rumours about a new 'Busa are circulating and turbo's are being mentioned " .....this has been a rumor for years, much to the frustration of the Busa community!
Yeah the Busa community. Those guys hung on to a magazine article that Suzuki had sent a "ringer" to, and no one ever got their bike to go anywhere near that fast. The ZX12 would hammer it. But the Busa guys wouldn't believe it. They are a dedicated lot.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That would be interesting. My 2006 ZZR1400 was de-restricted with a Speedo Healer and fitted with a TiForce system. It ran 205.4mph through 1.25 miles at Woodbridge and a 9.84 quarter.
My 2012 ZZR1400 was flashed and fitted with a Brock's system and ran 203.1 in the mile at Elvington. Both bikes were otherwise stock apart from gearing.

I think Pebble is right about the future, better grab a 14 this year if you want one. Rumours about a new 'Busa are circulating and turbo's are being mentioned but I bet if Suzuki do this the capacity will be reduced.

It's like the old V8 muscle cars compared to the modern 2-litre turbo's.

2 litre Turbo versus a V8 is a good comparison Bob and no doubt a sign of the times, smaller capacity, hybrid and forced induction is the future.

Your ZZR’s ran some serious pace, was that as far as they could be pushed in that class?

I’m also interested in how much more potential you see in your H2 to further improve in your current state of tune, I assume a longer run than one mile would be needed?

Being completely honest I miss my 2014 ZZR, in my opinion there is no replacement for big cubes. I guess I have rose tinted glasses on because I toured mine all around Europe, loaded to the ground and it didn’t miss a beat, the engine simply didn’t care & had utterly seamless drive no matter what I threw at it.

I loved the delivery and throttle connection, I very much regret selling it and will almost certainly buy another especially now you and Pebble correctly pointed out the future emissions legislation killing that breed of bike.

I know things have moved on in technology with forced induction etc but I still wouldn’t pick the SX over a ZZR, certainly from a price point.

The ZZR performance sport has Akra’s, Ohlins & Brembo all standard equipment, omitted from the SX? Premium price but not so much premium kit? (Nice display tho!)

Obviously it’s my opinion & I’m sure the SX will be epic, anything doing 200bhp out of the box is going to be, especially with a reflash etc.

But... When I look at it & it’s just not doing it for me as yet, certainly the styling doesn’t when I see them side by side on that MCN test..

However, a blast on one may change my mind, maybe it’s just me that’s just an analog dinosaur in a digital TFT world. I’ll report back, my dealer is getting a demo bike too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Your ZZR’s ran some serious pace, was that as far as they could be pushed in that class?

I’m also interested in how much more potential you see in your H2 to further improve in your current state of tune, I assume a longer run than one mile would be needed?
The class rules for the ZZR's, at that time, were for "unopened engine". Meaning it was ok to fit a race system, Power Commander etc but otherwise stock. I've not seen any stock ZZR run much faster over a mile. Mike Grainger's 2012 ZZR1400 also ran 203.9 in the mile with the same set-up as mine.

My H2 is fairly stock too. It has a reflash from Brock, an Akrapovic race system and a DNA air filter. It runs with a PCV map created by GT Performance Engineering and a Zero Gravity Corsa screen. The rev-limit is still 13,000rpm and it makes only 229bhp. Having said that it's run faster through the mile than other H2's claiming more power but that's dyno's for you! In 2015 it was in the stock class but since Straightliners adopted SCTA rules it's now in the modified class, just removing the mirrors will do that.

I don't know if it would gain much speed with a longer run because the aerodynamics of the H2 are so poor. Up above 190 it's like you hit a brick wall and there's nowhere to hide. I have my bum right back, chest on the tank and head as low as I can get it but my shoulders feel the full force of the wind. I think that's the limitation with this bike. You're at the mercy of the wind and conditions on any given day. My PB of 205.7 is probably all I can expect with the current tune and that was on 19/42 gearing. If you factor in about 4% slippage it's spot on at 13,000rpm and one of the reasons I'm now using 19/41.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts