Ninja H2 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not impressed with the brakes on the h2 i also own a bmw s1000r and the brakes on that make the h2s amateur any advise mods or change of pads

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nope found mine to be impressive scrubbing off big speeds

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The BMW is a lighter bike and the ratios of the master and slave cylinders may well be different to the H2's. The feel of the brakes between the two bikes isn't going to be the same but let me say this: as someone who has stopped his H2 countless times from over 200 mph at LSR meetings there's nothing wrong with the Ninja H2's brakes.

Is the poster riding a new bike? Maybe the discs needed a clean and the pads are now contaminated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have ridden my mates Ducati Streetfighter, which has Brembos and I only use one finger on those. The initial bite and overall efficiency far exceeds the H2 brakes. Once warm, the H2 brakes do work well but they do need a bit more lever input.

I have a theory that the brakes on ABS bikes don't have too much initial bite or are too powerful, in case they interfere with the ABS algorithms... But it just a theory.

I also don't believe that radial brakes are necessarily better than non-radial. My 03-04 Z1000 stopped very well and when I went to the 06 ZX10R, I was rather amused at the poor performance of the brakes.

As for the OP, I may be confusing the brakes with another bike but I think people may have tried a different set of pads, with more initial bite.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a theory that the brakes on ABS bikes don't have too much initial bite or are too powerful, in case they interfere with the ABS algorithms... But it just a theory.
There's another way to think about this: would you really like the front brakes on your bike to operate like an on/off switch or would you like some feeling? Brakes that are too sharp or have too much initial bite are not necessarily better and in some conditions and certain situations could be downright dangerous. I would choose feel over lightness any time.

·
Registered
888 Posts
not impressed with the brakes on the h2 i also own a bmw s1000r and the brakes on that make the h2s amateur any advise mods or change of pads
First of all the brakes on the H2 are very good. If you replace/upgrade the pads they are even better.
That being said I run my H2 on the track a lot so I wanted the brakes to be the best they could be.
You asked for upgrade mod advice.. here's my thread on that: http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-general-discussion/19353-brake-upgrade.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
There's another way to think about this: would you really like the front brakes on your bike to operate like an on/off switch or would you like some feeling? Brakes that are too sharp or have too much initial bite are not necessarily better and in some conditions and certain situations could be downright dangerous. I would choose feel over lightness any time.
I do share the sentiment that too much initial bite and very sharp can be dangerous. It's the very reason I don't enjoy riding my mates Streetfighter. But then I don't ride it often and none of my bikes are anywhere near as sensitive as that.
If however, you bought the bike and it was like that, it would just be what you get used to. I suspect that is what the OP is on about. The BMW is possibly somewhere in between the two extremes...

To be honest, having come from several other radial brake bikes, I was initially surprised at how much effort was required on the brake lever, considering it's the mighty Brembo package. With the exception of the 06/07 ZX10R's, which needed the calipers changed for better braking, I can't say the H2's brakes are any better than those. Maybe I just don't ride fast enough, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree that the H2 brakes do need a good squeeze, absolutely not lacking in power but other brakes need way less lever effort.
I am running M4 monos on 320mm disks with an RCS master cylinder and Brembo's 'fast road' pads (on a turbo ZZR1400) and they stop that fat whale of a bike with my 18 stone on it using just 1 finger.... (and are NOT lacking in feel)
Suspect that a change of pads (and maybe master cylinder) could reduce the lever effort considerably (the H2 M50 calipers are good), personally I will put Brembo pads in the H2 but only when they need changing (although I am finding myself riding the 1400 more than the H2 at the moment due to comfort and ease of use!...)

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just added the Brembo RCS19 and that will do the trick. The stock Brembo master cylinder 16 for me just didn't cut it. The first pull had the lever comin in more than half way and then the second pump was alway much better but they were just not consistent enough for my liking.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I just added the Brembo RCS19 and that will do the trick. The stock Brembo master cylinder 16 for me just didn't cut it. The first pull had the lever comin in more than half way and then the second pump was alway much better but they were just not consistent enough for my liking.
That sounds more like they need a bleed and isn't the same as comparing brakes from bike to bike or different pad materials.

·
Registered
867 Posts
19 x 19 or 20 (adjustable)
I have the RCS 19 / 20 it works very very well. I blead the stock many times and it didn't get any better. I also have a Ducati 1299SA and it has the same master cylinder as the H2 and dose same exact thing with my H2 use to do until I upgraded the master cylinder.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nola It's on 19

Reactions: NOLA

·
Registered
702 Posts
Run the EBC pads. I **** near locked the "Anti-lock" brakes. Lol

The EBC pads don't have grooves so they get up to temp really fast and bite like ****. A huge difference over stock and I had to dial the braking back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts