Ninja H2 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just found a weird paint issue on my R today! I thought its a bit fuel on the gas tank but after some soft cleaning, nothing changed...
It’s very hard to see in daylight, but in low light you can see the difference under the coating.
Seems to be under the clear coating!

The hole surface of the gas tank paint is perfect you can not feel any difference.

I’ve checked some photos from the delivery (2017) and I found this weird area on every low light photo since day one.

Anyone with similar shadows or issues???

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s just on the left hand side and very difficult to see in daylight ... Ive tried to clean it couse it looks like a fluid on the surface but it seems to be under the paint job...
let’s see what Kawasaki can do for me

·
Registered
625 Posts
It’s just on the left hand side and very difficult to see in daylight ... Ive tried to clean it couse it looks like a fluid on the surface but it seems to be under the paint job...
let’s see what Kawasaki can do for me

Scharf,

Whatever it is it’s under the matt clearcoat, looks like something bled through the basecoat right from the substrate below.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to cut this out with a wax or compound as this will only remove a few microns from the paint surface, not what’s potentially trapped below.

I have good knowledge in this field as I’m a part owner of a surface finishing manufacturer & involved in paint/refinish all my working life.

You need an inspection from Kawasaki, it’s difficult to see on the photos but if it’s under the surface there should be no issues with a warranty claim.

However I am amazed it made it through QC and the dealer network without being spotted...

Good luck, keep us posted.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a what looks like basically the same issue on my 2018 r/h faring. I have a warranty claim in. And a couple of clear coat peeling problems, again with warranty.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yep.Kawi needs to get ya a new tank.This isn't right.I noticed on my 2015 tank that towards the front of it,just forward of the fuel cap area,there looks like some VERY VERY light prism colored looking patches.Small.You wouldn't really even see em if you weren't looking REAL close.They don't interfere with the finish or clarity of the silver coating.But they probably shouldn't be in there.I didn't notice those until after I applied the 3 coats of Beasley's finish sealer on there.So I don't know if it was there before or after that.Only from a certain angle can they be detected.In a certain light situation.I doesn't bother me...it's virtually invisible.But your guys tanks...that's totally NOT okay right there.I haven't spilled any fluids on my tank ever.So I know it's not from fuel or something.I tried buffing em out with meguiars 2.0 swirl remover(GREAT STUFF).But they didn't come out...yet.They MAY have lightened just a bit.Sa'll good though.I know they're there,so yeah,I'm gonna notice em at times.Thankfully they're really really light whatever they are.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a what looks like basically the same issue on my 2018 r/h faring. I have a warranty claim in. And a couple of clear coat peeling problems, again with warranty.

Peeling off Ted? Thats alarming, is this in an impact area ?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Im surprised it’s 2019 and u noticed this now.
If u still have those pics from day u picked it up at dealership u can try n make a new gas tank claim

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Peeling off Ted? Thats alarming, is this in an impact area ?

It is peeling on the little wing right of the headlamp and the front fender. On the fender is has gone through to the plastic, notice the halo of clear coat missing.
The discoloration is on the top of the right faring.

Actually the dealer noticed the discoloration when I was showing them the peeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is peeling on the little wing right of the headlamp and the front fender. On the fender is has gone through to the plastic, notice the halo of clear coat missing.

Actually the dealer noticed the discoloration when I was showing them the peeling.

That’s shocking Ted, built beyond belief? what a crock of shite

·
Registered
423 Posts

That’s shocking Ted, built beyond belief? what a crock of shite

Built beyond belief
Not built beyond nature lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Professor: If it makes you feel any better I don't think it looks bad at all (I'm not a painter). I would not have noticed if you had not pointed it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve just found a weird paint issue on my R today! I thought its a bit fuel on the gas tank but after some soft cleaning, nothing changed...
It’s very hard to see in daylight, but in low light you can see the difference under the coating.
Seems to be under the clear coating!

The hole surface of the gas tank paint is perfect you can not feel any difference.

I’ve checked some photos from the delivery (2017) and I found this weird area on every low light photo since day one.

Anyone with similar shadows or issues???
Hi, I just searched for a paint problem on an H2 and came across your post! My 2018 carbon developed what I call ghosting on the right hand side of the tank & tail piece, which seems similar to what you’re experiencing! I noticed it last September & reported it to Kawasaki who are looking in to it! 8months later and they still haven’t done anything about it! Getting pissed off with them now as I want them to put it right!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just searched for a paint problem on an H2 and came across your post! My 2018 carbon developed what I call ghosting on the right hand side of the tank & tail piece, which seems similar to what you’re experiencing! I noticed it last September & reported it to Kawasaki who are looking in to it! 8months later and they still haven’t done anything about it! Getting pissed off with them now as I want them to put it right!
I just went through this with my 18 carbon in Australia , Have to say Kawasaki went beyond all expectations and replaced the tank and three fairings on warranty ( 1 month before warranty expires)
Even the dealer was surprised. They also had to manufacture the tank ,
Some things I found out
If you have Ceramic Coating this will void your warranty on the Paint, ( warranty issues like paint will always go back to Japan for approval )
And the main Culprit would be the type of Soap/ Bike wash you are using, Thats what stuffed mine up any ways.
Only using a soft wash from now on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went through this with my 18 carbon in Australia , Have to say Kawasaki went beyond all expectations and replaced the tank and three fairings on warranty ( 1 month before warranty expires)
Even the dealer was surprised. They also had to manufacture the tank ,
Some things I found out
If you have Ceramic Coating this will void your warranty on the Paint, ( warranty issues like paint will always go back to Japan for approval )
And the main Culprit would be the type of Soap/ Bike wash you are using, Thats what stuffed mine up any ways.
Only using a soft wash from now on.
Their going to replace my tank now! I think the dealer was half my trouble! Once I said I wanted a copy of all the correspondence they had sent Kawasaki as I was going to contact them myself, they said we’ve just been on to Kawasaki and they are going to replace your tank! Funny that!! I’ve never actually washed it with soap and water only blown down and wiped over with a damp cloth then dried off with microfibre cloth and polished with carnuba wax if needed! I told Kawasaki that and they said they had had problems with the paint if it was in the sun a lot!! So no hope for you!😂 I’m glad you’ve said about the ceramic coat as I was thinking of putting it on the new tank to help protect it! What I have done is extended the warranty 2more years just in case it happens again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts