Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Monday 20th March was our first outing this year on the Elvington runway. The Straightliners Club had been working hard for the last two weekends to prepare the surface after the winter's lay-off and get it swept. They had re-surveyed it and moved the start-line back a bit so we had an extra 300 yards of braking distance. This will take some of the drama out of stopping for the quicker riders and we have some snazzy new boards to show where the speed-trap is and the braking area begins.

It was a cold and wet start to Monday in the North of England, bikes stayed in their vans and trailers until late morning when the rain finally stopped. Scrutineering and riders briefings were soon finished and the course was open by early afternoon.

I had spent a lot of time preparing the bike and checking over my riding gear to be ready for this - but isn't there always something!! Namely my new boots. A bit more rigid than the old ones, so less feel and possibly a little larger too. I aborted the first run to return to the paddock and adjust the gear lever up a bit.

Then I finally got going. Four runs all over 200 MPH and a best of 205.227 was good enough for my season's start. Just a few tenths short of a PB for my very stock H2. I'm happy with that. After a 330 mile drive home I finally crawled into bed at 1am. :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nice one if you can post up session dates I may come over one weekend. You planning on any tuning etc.
2017 LSR dates are :

Straightliners Top Speed Dates 2017

# 20 March - Top Speed Monday - - Elvington Airfield, North Yorkshire, England.
# 25 April - Top Speed Tuesday - Elvington
# 13/14 May - Pendine Sands Records - Carmarthenshire, South Wales
# 20/21 May - Yorkshire Mile & British National Records - Elvington
# 20 June - Top Speed Tuesday - Elvington
# 24/25 June - Woodbridge
# 18 July - Top Speed Tuesday - Elvington
# 19/20 August - Northern Speed Trials & World Wheelie records - Elvington
# 16/17 September - Autumn mile - Elvington
# 23/24 September - Pendine Sands Records
# 17 October Top Speed Tuesday - Elvington

I'm there on 20 June

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looking good Bob

Good to see another H2 in the results as well !
Thanks Owen, I saw that photo on Facebook.

The other H2 at the meeting has the Akrapovic full-system and is mapped, geared up etc. I was willing him to crack 200 and he was so close. Hopefully next time.

I won't be running at the April or June meetings because of family commitments but aim to do all the other Elvington dates.

Nice one if you can post up session dates I may come over one weekend. You planning on any tuning etc.
Nickjc001, Tuning? I run in the Production Stock class, P/PB/1000, so there aren't really any modifications allowed apart from de-restriction and gearing. If I started with the tuning mods I would have to move to the modified stock class. At the moment I hold the class record, so I'm keeping it as it is.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks Owen, I saw that photo on Facebook.

The other H2 at the meeting has the Akrapovic full-system and is mapped, geared up etc. I was willing him to crack 200 and he was so close. Hopefully next time.

I won't be running at the April or June meetings because of family commitments but aim to do all the other Elvington dates.

Nickjc001, Tuning? I run in the Production Stock class, P/PB/1000, so there aren't really any modifications allowed apart from de-restriction and gearing. If I started with the tuning mods I would have to move to the modified stock class. At the moment I hold the class record, so I'm keeping it as it is.
How was the other H2 for noise ? Was he running with or without the baffle ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
How was the other H2 for noise ? Was he running with or without the baffle ?
TBH I didn't look that closely but it wasn't any noisier than mine, which was running without the baffle. They didn't do any noise testing at scrutineering and we didn't run in classes either as it was just a "test and tune" day.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice work :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work :)
Thanks, I know a few H2 riders have gone faster than my 205.723 in a mile but has anyone beaten this on a bone stock bike like mine? No de-catted exhausts, race systems, intercoolers, geared-up superchargers etc.

Maybe I'm the only LSR H2 rider in the P/PB/1000 class !

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Well technically speaking yes brocks bike did 219 and 220 with only difference being no cat. Another gentlemen did 215mph on his pump gas bolt on H2 at the texas mile. What's the altitude of the track you are at?

·
Registered
891 Posts
just seeing this thread for the first time, Congrats Bob! well done.
you have to be itchin to mod just to see how fast fast can be ;)
so this was the standing mile..?
and you were running 19/41..?
BTW what boost temps are you seeing?

Reactions: BobC

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^Well technically speaking yes brocks bike did 219 and 220 with only difference being no cat. Another gentlemen did 215mph on his pump gas bolt on H2 at the texas mile. What's the altitude of the track you are at?
Exactly what I'm asking. We run under SCTA rules and de-catting, bolt-ons, anything other than pump gas, etc would put a bike in the modified class. I run in P/PB/1000.

The elevation of Elvington is 39 metres, sea-level if you like.

·
Registered
891 Posts
@Boosted10R on that note above on elevation.. if I remember right you've run LSR in Colorado.. If I'm remembering that right can I ask if you noticed any power loss being 1 mile up in thinner air, and did you have to re-tune for this?

·
Registered
587 Posts
^I did the Ohio mile last year which is only 1100-1200 feet above sea level I think. Id imagine you would notice a bit of a power loss in Colorado, but the air is also easier to cut through ;)

Exactly what I'm asking. We run under SCTA rules and de-catting, bolt-ons, anything other than pump gas, etc would put a bike in the modified class. I run in P/PB/1000.

The elevation of Elvington is 39 metres, sea-level if you like.

So I guess they allow the Akra can because it came as an option/standard for you guys? I don't think that would fly here since it wasn't an option. I personally don't know of any others using a bone stock H2 in the mile yet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Christ Bob. I was thinking more than just gearing and limiter removed to reach 200+

I have had a few mods (PC5 and ECU Flash) and Dyno time with a guy I know well and now have 241 RW BHP. kept the cat

Wondering what the standard gearing will allow me to hit.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Christ Bob. I was thinking more than just gearing and limiter removed to reach 200+

I have had a few mods (PC5 and ECU Flash) and Dyno time with a guy I know well and now have 241 RW BHP. kept the cat

Wondering what the standard gearing will allow me to hit.
It depends on your bike's rev limit. The stock bike, limited to 186mph, was geared to hit around 190 at 13,000 rpm, giving it the maximum performance within that envelope. So it will need gearing up to go any faster unless the reflash also raises the rev-limit and assuming it makes enough power.

My bikes's geared 19/42 (stock is 18/44) but still retains the 13,000 limit. Maximum theoretical would be around 214/215 but my 220 bhp is made at 12,000 so that has to be factored in as does any slippage when working out how fast it will go in the mile.

If you haven't ridden a geared up H2 I thoroughly recommend it. The bike is much better, not so vicious in the way it responds to throttle but will still pick up the front wheel in the first four gears. The top of fourth gear is over 165. It's a much nicer ride all round.

·
Registered
393 Posts
looks like my next job to adjust the gearing

cheers Bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts