Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my 2012 ZX10-R and my 08 Concours 14. Yesterday I went to the dealer to put a deposit on a 2018 SX SE. I'm going to be financing a little for the bike so I need to wait until a little closer to the shipping date to officially order since the credit approval is only good for 30 days. But the dealer has a new 2016 H2 left over that they said they would sell me for the same cost as the SX SE. I'm hoping the new SX SE will be the perfect mashup of my former ZX10-R and C14 with comfort equal to the C14 and speed equal or better than my ZX10-R.

Im leaning towards the SX SE because its newer, more tech such as the 2 direction Quick Shifter and cruise control. But I'm a little concerned with the power numbers Kawasaki has released. When the 2011 ZX10R came out the power numbers Kawasaki put out were around 200 hp and 83 ft lbs. When the bikes hit the streets they got restricted and needed a flash to reach those numbers. But even after being derestricted 170 hp was what most people were getting to the wheels which is understandable. My 10 with a Guhl Flash custom tune exhaust and filter made 175hp on pump gas in Tucson which was pretty respectable. Now fast forward to the release of the H2 and Kawasaki claimed 200 hp and 98 ft lbs. Pretty similar claimed numbers but real world testing had the stock unflashed H2's coming in at 192 hp and 93 ft lbs at the wheel. Even though the claimed number were similar the real world results were totally different and the H2 gains a lot more with basic mods. Now the SX SE is claiming to have a similar engine to the H2 but its tuned down and made to run more efficiently but they are claiming similar power numbers to the H2. Even though they say its tuned down the rating is still 197 hp and 101 ft lbs. So where are those numbers going to be when the bikes hit the real world? If its closer to the H2's real world numbers Ill be happy but if its closer to the zx10-r's real world numbers im afraid Ill be significantly disappointed especially since it will have the extra weight.

If its going to be heavier and not as strong as my ZX10-R I'd rather buy the 2 year old H2. But if its going to have more power, comfort and tech I'd prefer to get the SX SE.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you really need maximum power for your kind of riding the SX SE will probably disappoint. It has smaller throttle bodies and quite a few other differences which will make it hard to get H2 levels of engine power without a lot of modification.

If you like the SX SE's riding position, cruise control, cornering lights, the TFT dash and other improvements made since the 2015/16 H2, plus the ability to carry a pillion passenger, luggage and the low-down torque of the supercharger you will love the SX SE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you really need maximum power for your kind of riding the SX SE will probably disappoint. It has smaller throttle bodies and quite a few other differences which will make it hard to get H2 levels of engine power without a lot of modification.
If you like the SX SE's riding position, cruise control, cornering lights, the TFT dash and other improvements made since the 2015/16 H2, plus the ability to carry a pillion passenger, luggage and the low-down torque of the supercharger you will love the SX SE.
Im torn, if I can get 225 hp to the wheel Ill be happy. In reality when we'd go ride in a group and I would ride my concours Im still faster than 90% of the guys I ride with on liter bikes and busas. But the c14 still felt heavy and lacked the exciting acceleration. I was planning on turbo charging it until I saw the SX SE coming out.

Im hoping Brock will jump on building a performance package for the SX as well if I end up getting one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the base SX has cruise control? The Kawasaki site is confusing. It does not show it in the specs, but if you look at the picture of the dash you can clearly see Cruise Control indicator lights. I have also read a couple of articles that say it's standard on both models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone confirm if the base SX has cruise control? The Kawasaki site is confusing. It does not show it in the specs, but if you look at the picture of the dash you can clearly see Cruise Control indicator lights. I have also read a couple of articles that say it's standard on both models.
Im pretty sure the SX SE is the only one with the cruise control. There is also a lot of articles saying the SE is the base model and others saying its the same engine as the H2 even though its not.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unfortunately it's hard to say what the SX power will be. The H2 came incredibly restricted from the factory, and until a tuner gets an H2 SX we really won't know what it'll do uncorked. I would be VERY surprised if you could get 40+hp out of a flash like the H2 though, since the engine design has some differences, whereas the H2 benefited a lot from sharing most of its components with the H2R.

The up and down quickshifter is a very easy retrofit for pre-2017 H2s. Cruise control is a no go on the H2 though. My biggest concern between the H2 and SX would be comfort, as the H2 leaves me a bit sore after more than an hour, but there are some people that can ride this thing for days at a time so you would know how your body deals with a sport riding position better.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Unfortunately it's hard to say what the SX power will be. The H2 came incredibly restricted from the factory, and until a tuner gets an H2 SX we really won't know what it'll do uncorked. I would be VERY surprised if you could get 40+hp out of a flash like the H2 though, since the engine design has some differences, whereas the H2 benefited a lot from sharing most of its components with the H2R.

The up and down quickshifter is a very easy retrofit for pre-2017 H2s. Cruise control is a no go on the H2 though. My biggest concern between the H2 and SX would be comfort, as the H2 leaves me a bit sore after more than an hour, but there are some people that can ride this thing for days at a time so you would know how your body deals with a sport riding position better.

Where are you located?
I'm located near Tucson. I could ride my ZX10r for 8-12 hrs a day but after 3 or 4 days in a row of riding like that I'll be pretty well beat. Then I got the c14 and got spoiled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im pretty sure the SX SE is the only one with the cruise control. There is also a lot of articles saying the SE is the base model and others saying its the same engine as the H2 even though its not.
Have you seen the pics of the base model instruments? Look at the bottom just left of the key...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if they put a cruise control and the new display on the 2018 H2 and carbon. It costs more than the SE and should be updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you seen the pics of the base model instruments? Look at the bottom just left of the key...

They have lots of pictures of the bikes with the bags on them but they are not standard equipment. My guess is it's an add on option or it will be standard in some markets. I highly doubt that Kawasaki would leave that out of the features section. I don't believe the US market will get it on the regular sx. I do think it will be on some sx bikes in some countries. If you look at the picture I uploaded (if it works) there appears to be cruise control buttons on the charcoal colored bikes clip on. As well as the outlet. The other possibility is that these things were put on the display bikes before the final decision was made on what is going to come standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"things were put on the display bikes before the final decision was made on what is going to come standard".That vid I was referring to...the tester mentioned the bike was so new that the bags weren't ready yet.At least on that particular one Kawasaki allowed him to ride.

On the website they don't list cruise control on the Electronic aides section.Also,I think the bags come standard with the SE.Even though they're in the accessory area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The base SX is confirmed for the US, and I'd say it looks like cruise control is on the base model as well.

From the SX brochure for the base model (the SE had a separate page):
Experiencing hypersport performance
doesn’t mean sacrificing comfort on
the Ninja H2™ SX. Premium features
enhance its breathtaking power with
amenities such as cruise control and
enhanced wind protection. Bring a
passenger along for a thrilling ride,
or go the distance with easy KQR™
Hard Saddlebag fitment (KQR
saddlebags sold separately) and
long-distance fuel range.
The SE's page specifically calls out the addition of the TF screen, heated grips, windscreen, cornering lights, and quickshifter but doesn't mention cruise control, implying it's not new in comparison to the base bike.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm located near Tucson. I could ride my ZX10r for 8-12 hrs a day but after 3 or 4 days in a row of riding like that off be pretty well beat. Then I got the c14 and got spoiled.

I have a 2016 H2 with the ergo-fit bars, it’s not a tourer by any stretch of the imagination but comfortable for me and certainly no worse than a 2017 ZX-10 belonging to a friend I tried. Mine has been derestricted with Brock’s flash and PCV, its crazy fast and I personally think the H2 is much better looking than the SX, its hand built and still comes with high end kit such as the Brembo calipers etc. For me it’s no contest but if you want to go touring then...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the same Kawasaki that for the first two years the Ninja 1000 was sold in the U.S. showed in the On-line spec sheet the rear tire was a 190/55, which it never was.

I certainly don't claim to know the facts, but I find it hard to believe they will offer cruise control with the base instruments in some markets but not the U.S. I'm betting is standard across the board as several articles have stated. KTM shows a 2018 Super Duke GT on their U.S. site but a local dealer confirmed it is not being brought into the U.S. The BMW (car) online build also has key equipment on some cars not shown on the build configurator. These are just examples I have seen myself of where online info is wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep in mind that while the site does show cruise in the specs of the SE but not base model, it does not show cruise where it lists the features the SE has over the base model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone dug up the first ride article that has been removed. According to that the cruise control is standard on both trims. According to them the SE has, LED cornering Lights,New large multi-function TFT color LCD display,Larger windscreen,Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM), Kawasaki Quick Shifter (KQS) (up and down), Steel braided brake lines, Heated grips,Centerstand.

According to the guy who did the article the SX isn't as fast as the H2 but it is Superbike fast so that helps reassure me that the SX SE is the way to go.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've seen a H2SX vs H2SX SE spec comparison for UK model bikes (waiting for the OK from Kawasaki to share online) - in the UK market at least both models get cruise control

·
Registered
30 Posts
A 2016 H2 for the price of an SX SE ???

That's a bargain mate, the H2 will hold its value so much better and will depreciate much less so based on that alone id go for the H2, if they register it as a 2017 bike then the value for insurance and future price etc would be based on the 2017 price which is £25k GBP instead of the 2016's £21k if its a pre-reg which helps the resale value dramatically ;)

basically my 2016 model bike is correctly insured as a 2017 H2 and is 2017 registered with the DVLA so if a claim arose the insurance company will automatically value it as a 2017 model and have a guideline value of the newer more expensive model as I have already been through that process before with another bike..

every little helps & financially the H2 would be by far the better deal there ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts