Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know what the difference in the ecu's are? Can the 2015 H2 owners get the new 2016 ecu? can the dealer flash it some how? I find when it's very hot out the bike idles like a v twin does the 2016 do the same thing? would an ecu flash possibly change this? thanks.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
One of the changes to the ECU with the Brock's flash is lowered fan cut-in temperature.

I thought the 2016 was modified to give a smoother throttle response but not heard from anybody if that is the case. Don't know of any other 2016 changes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 2016 ECU rain mode was said to be modified on a link I posted translated from the Japanese.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
One of the changes to the ECU with the Brock's flash is lowered fan cut-in temperature.

I thought the 2016 was modified to give a smoother throttle response but not heard from anybody if that is the case. Don't know of any other 2016 changes.
There are improvements to the 2016 ECU setting to help with the off-on throttle transition. Other than that, they are interchangeable in stock form. The 2015 ECU will no longer be available as a replacement item (superceded part number). Example: if you crash your 2015 and need a replacement ECU, the item you will receive from Kawasaki will be a 2016 unit.

Everything else is the same as last year except for minor small bracket changes and side cowling retention method and they deleted one of the noise dampeners inside the clutch cover. Excluding paint, of course.

Brock

·
Registered
240 Posts
Really curious to hear back from a 2016 owner if the on/off throttle transition is noticeably improved...

Never did get completely comfortable with that in corners!:(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well I reckon its a bonus that the 15 is an art form to ride smooth especially in tight twisty corners,yes it can be challenging but really who wants to ride a Honda type bike.I would be upset if I had to replace my ecu with a 2016,why take the animal out of this bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well I reckon its a bonus that the 15 is an art form to ride smooth especially in tight twisty corners,yes it can be challenging but really who wants to ride a Honda type bike.I would be upset if I had to replace my ecu with a 2016,why take the animal out of this bike.
Throughout the history of motorcycles its almost always the first year model that's the most sought after , even if it's "improved " with a smother power delivery which makes it easer to ride etc .
Original pre war HRD (Vincent's) Original 1938 Triumph Speed Twins and 1939 Triumph Tiger 100s , Bendy framed H1s and H2s first model Fireblades are all more collectable and will always command higher prices in the future .
An original hard to ride ,fierce power delivery, green framed supercharged H2 with butter soft mirror paint will have a home in my shed for many years to come .

·
Banned
546 Posts
ABSOLUTELY. It's the same reason the 04/05 10R is still a legend. I love the feeling of not being totally in control. That's what makes it exciting. Like riding a bull, getting in a boxing ring or jumping out of a plane; hang on, do your best not to die and have fun. I'm confident in my ability but it's all calculated risk - the closer to 50/50 it is, the better the feeling when I make it out the other side.

The '15 H2/R is a lot like fighting Mike Tyson. Or base jumping from the top of Mount Everest. Or a first date with Scarlett Johanssen. Why would you want to take the edge off?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Of course not. They already said they would not upgrade the clutch for free, I doubt they will cover replacing the ECU...
It would not likely be a ECU change. I understand FZ09's suffered a similar abruptness on early production units. Apparently they were improved immensely with a re-flash!

As far as taming the beast, this is an area that would improve the overall experience, not detract from it in any significant way, IMO.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
There are improvements to the 2016 ECU setting to help with the off-on throttle transition. Other than that, they are interchangeable in stock form. The 2015 ECU will no longer be available as a replacement item (superceded part number). Example: if you crash your 2015 and need a replacement ECU, the item you will receive from Kawasaki will be a 2016 unit.

Everything else is the same as last year except for minor small bracket changes and side cowling retention method and they deleted one of the noise dampeners inside the clutch cover. Excluding paint, of course.

Brock
Opps, and the clutch is different, with the 2016 having a much lighter lever pull. Also interchangeable. We are working on determining if the 2016 unit will handle 250+ RWHP.

Brock

·
Registered
867 Posts
Opps, and the clutch is different, with the 2016 having a much lighter lever pull. Also interchangeable. We are working on determining if the 2016 unit will handle 250+ RWHP.

Brock
I had the 2016 setup on order but after hearing it had less springs I cancelled it. I'd rather a hard pull them a clutch that may or may not hold the flashed power of my H2 >:D

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had the 2016 setup on order but after hearing it had less springs I cancelled it. I'd rather a hard pull them a clutch that may or may not hold the flashed power of my H2 >:D

Isn't the 2016 setup similar to a lock-up style clutch? The more rpm and or force applied increases the holding pressure? I dunno much about them, but that's what I was reading somewhere. I hope it holds LOL!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Isn't the 2016 setup similar to a lock-up style clutch? The more rpm and or force applied increases the holding pressure? I dunno much about them, but that's what I was reading somewhere. I hope it holds LOL!
That was the impression I had too but rather than call it a lock-up clutch they called it "slipper assist". Like the 2015 it's a slipper clutch on overrun but locks when driven forward. This allowed them to reduce the spring pressure and/or number of springs, just three by the look of it, without slippage.

·
Registered
867 Posts
That was the impression I had too but rather than call it a lock-up clutch they called it "slipper assist". Like the 2015 it's a slipper clutch on overrun but locks when driven forward. This allowed them to reduce the spring pressure and/or number of springs, just three by the look of it, without slippage.
Yeah that's correct..... I'm just not sold on the 3 spring set up vs. the 2015 set up. The pull is a little hard but this time I'm going to leave it alone. Well at least for now. Lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am contemplating the same things with the ECU and the new clutch. I am thinking get them both and try them out. If you don't like it switch back. Personally I put a lot of mileage on mine and drive in traffic. Lighter clutch pull I would welcome and tamer ecu sure!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The clutch is not a lockup. It is an assist clutch. A true lockup is driven by either the engine, or the rear tire depending on how it is mounted. If it is driven by the engine, then as RPM goes up, more pressure is applied to lock up the clutch. If it is driven by the rear tire, then as speed goes up more pressure is applied to lock it up. This setup is driven by the engine. The slipper is driven by the rear tire. Theoretically the harder the engine pulls, the more the assist function will help to hold the clutch. I would assume that Kawasaki has designed it to work well with the stock HP. The problem is that there are no guarantees as to how well it will work with modified bikes. Time will tell. You could always shim the 3 springs, or replace them with stronger ones to increase clutch holding. As you increase the spring pressure, the slipper function will work less. We probably will not know until someone like Brock can do testing with a 2016. Mike.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
From what I've read Triumph have also been using a slip/assist clutch in some of their models, so it isn't a Kawasaki invention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts