Ninja H2 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on 2k miles, I don't think I'll get more than another 1000 out of these OEM tires. In the past on my ZX-10R I used Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's, which hold up really well mileage wise and are still plenty grippy. Unfortunately that tire isn't made in the H2's stock size of 200/55/17. Closest is 190/55/17 or 200/50/17.
Would the 200/50 be a problem at all?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Evo R was the recommendation from the lads who set up Hilliers H2R for the Isle of Man and his race bike. Won't mention how the senior race went as not to spoil it for those that haven't seen highlights. Get in there !!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am coming up on 2k miles, I don't think I'll get more than another 1000 out of these OEM tires. In the past on my ZX-10R I used Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's, which hold up really well mileage wise and are still plenty grippy. Unfortunately that tire isn't made in the H2's stock size of 200/55/17. Closest is 190/55/17 or 200/50/17.
Would the 200/50 be a problem at all?
Reportedly the new premium bmw with its 200 55 can experience tc issues with a different size I haven't heard anything about h2

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
"200/55/17"...nope...H2 has a factory 200/50.

I'm running a 190/55,have been for two rears now.This'll be my 3rd.She's gripping fine,and cornering like she's on rails.I'm riding TC 1.No issues at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone tried a 180/60? Visually the 180/60 and 190/55 are extremely close...

Out of curiosity, did you do a GPS check with either to see how the speedo accuracy if affected?

·
Registered
40 Posts
A 60 is not really a good street tire;for track use sure its a great...not so much on the street.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
With bikes that use wheel speed sensors changing the circumference of either tyre is what will cause a problem with traction control, speedo etc. As long as the front-to-rear circumferences are the same as the OE there shouldn't be a problem. Obviously there's a tolerance, plus or minus, built in for wear. Changing the profiles should only affect the handling.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"200/55/17"...nope...H2 has a factory 200/50.

I'm running a 190/55,have been for two rears now.This'll be my 3rd.She's gripping fine,and cornering like she's on rails.I'm riding TC 1.No issues at all.
The specs on the site say 200/55, and I just confirmed on my bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have done 1,000 ks on my metzler M7RR tyres and they perform really well considering the roads here are cold and damp im pretty happy with them

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
This thread is a year old ...

... but given that it didn't really have a definitive answer in it, I just got back from putting a set of Dunlop Q3 on my bike, and the rear was 200/50-17. I questioned this at the shop but they don't have a 200/55-17 so I took it anyhow.

Answer ... Nope. Traction control on level 2 doesn't like it. Moderate acceleration from a stop - well within actual traction limits - results in TC cutting spark erratically.

For now, I put traction control back to level 1, and it seems OK. But obviously this size is outside what the traction control is calibrated for.

In theory, 190/55-17 is closer in rolling diameter to the stock size and I should have insisted on that instead, in the absence of 200/55-17. I haven't decided whether I will get it changed ... likely depends on whether the shop will do anything for me, and that depends on whether they have a use for a 200/50-17 tire with about 80 km on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Stock tire is 200/55-17. Any change that will cause a wheel spin faster than the other (such as diameter change) will cause issues (minor or major) to all the electronic systems that rely on the wheel speed sensors, such TC ABS or Speedo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stock tire is 200/55-17. Any change that will cause a wheel spin faster than the other (such as diameter change) will cause issues (minor or major) to all the electronic systems that rely on the wheel speed sensors, such TC ABS or Speedo.
I enquired also about changing the size of the rear and was shown a list of tyres Kawasaki stated only to be fitted to the H2. Of course there are other options that what was shown but there was a strong insistence on running the same size as it def does mess with the electronics

·
Registered
288 Posts
Q 3 tyres wouldnt last long on a H2 anyway ,infact i scrubbed a set of them out in 4,000 ks on a zx9r.Traction was good but only use Metzlers these days

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stock size is 200/55/17... not 50.
I used the RS10, Diablo Super Corsa SP and Super Sport EVO... the Super Sport EVO is the best.

None of them last more tan 5000km using the bike like a baby... if you do "some" track day I think you can kill them in only 1000km or even less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts