Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having now exactly 1000 miles on the bike, I have come to a few conclusions and thoughts about what needs to be done to this bike to make it conform to my type of riding.
Now I need to really learn to ride this thing, I am not stupid enough to think I can just go out an hammer this thing on a twisty road now that it is broken in and I can use the full RPM range.
General Observations:
First of all I have to agree that it is the fit and finish is outstanding. The attention to detail is stunning. Even the foot pegs are painted and machined. Looked at a new Panagale yesterday, although very nice, it isn't as detailed as the H2.

Second this bike is stunningly fast. My biggest fear is getting a ticket.
This **** thing needs room and a radar detector.
The 1/8 turn throttle needs to be dealt with. I am going to buy a replacement throttle tube and make the cam action smaller which may give me another 1/16 of a turn. Anything will make the transition better.
The seat seems to be softening, either that or my butt is getting calloused.
1st gear is useless and the bike overall gearing is just too low. I have a 19 tooth sprocket ready to go. We will see.
Super soft paint, good thing they put on extra clear.
At least now I can comfortably start running this thing up to red line and get a better feeling of the power.

Our roads still suck and hopefully I can get to a road that isn't salted, sanded, graveled. So I can actually lean and evaluate this thing, I'm only at about 45^R and 44^L at the moment.

Still have to decide on a flash, me thinks rideability is more important than absolute HP.
Oh, and I am getting about 28 mpg. I think the altitude is helping with that, where the ECU is leaning things out to compensate and using less fuel.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"Super soft paint, good thing they put on extra clear"...I'm hopin ya didn't already scratch it or somethin????.

EASY to rack up the miles on this beastie,isn't it.

"Second this bike is stunningly fast. My biggest fear is getting a ticket"..lol.They gotta catch ya first;)Course,you now owning the ONLY H2 monster in Nevada...that shouldn't be too hard for em to identify.Long as they slow their in car cam WAY down.

"The seat seems to be softening, either that or my butt is getting calloused"..probably a bit of both lol.I didn't find the stocker THAT horribly bad.But when ya start thinkin about your ass during the ride,you KNOW something's gotta change.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The throttle tube interchanges with a wide range of bikes, I put gen 1 busa on mine as I had it here , , you could modify one to give a progressive action too

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ted

What are you actually looking for from the bike ????

The reason I ask, you now have a very special bike

It aint a track weapon, it aint a sports touror , if fact it aint fook all in the main steam

Just admire it for what it is, **** your leg over, start her up , fook off down the road :D

Rob

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The throttle tube interchanges with a wide range of bikes, I put gen 1 busa on mine as I had it here , , you could modify one to give a progressive action too
Was the diameter where the cable rides smaller? Don't need progressive. 1/4 turn would be nice. My 10 is 1/4 and it is touchy enough. I think I found a Motion Pro Honda replacement the looks like the cable ride on a small diameter.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ted

What are you actually looking for from the bike ????

The reason I ask, you now have a very special bike

It aint a track weapon, it aint a sports touror , if fact it aint fook all in the main steam

Just admire it for what it is, **** your leg over, start her up , fook off down the road :D

Rob
Good question.
I don't do track days. I'm an ex racer and find myself pushing the limits and don't have any desire to throw this bike away.
I have a Concours 14 for sport touring that I just love.
What I do is ride twisty roads. I like to wheelie between corners. I like to have short blasts against other riders(front wheel in the air) and tear them up. I do like to max a bike out when given the opportunity. I love to listen to someone talking smack while I play down how fast my bike is and try to convince them to race. And act surprised when done.
Also I ride, I put on miles, lots of miles. Seldom on the freeway(great place to get a ticket). We have some great twisty highways here, many up in the mountains where you take a big HP hit. I'm hoping my hit is minimized.
So I want bike that can tear up a road, be super stable mid corner during throttle transitions. I am a precise rider, I pick a 12" swath for my front wheel to follow and I live within it. And be comfortable enough to survive 200-250 mile per day putts without major pain.
The H2 just need a few adjustment to be the perfect bike for this. The suspension is awesome, the power delivery is there, it just needs a bit of fine tuning. It is perfectly comfortable except for the seat on which my bony ass suffers. The riding position is perfect, wind protection is what a motorcycle should be, enough to feel and enjoy the air without being beat to death.
Yeah I could just ride it. But why not make it suit me? Yeah I want a flash, but I'm in no hurry. I want a well engineered and thought out one.
All that being said. I am an original H2 owner, not the tamed down, long wheelbase H2 but the raw 73 (which I bought new in 73) with chambers and lightweight mags with serious brakes. So the H2 is very special to me.
And I want peoples opinions about what they have done to make their H2 fit them and what they think of the results. That way I can cherry pick. :)
Oh yeah, I want to see 200 mph on this thing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're concerned about the paint work, maybe get the Xpel paint protection wrap on it, that helps to remove a lot of the worry from scuffing the paint work. Can be expensive though! I have it, but have also put on a tank protector as an added measure for the tank.

Don.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh, and another item I will be purchasing soon I hope - an A-Tech extended rear hugger - to me this bike seems to throw up a large amount of dirt/small stones etc. that even get onto the seat. I'm thinking some of it makes it's way via the small "vents" that sit just inside the rear tail area at the back of the seat (if you know what I mean).

Don.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another vote for paint protection film. You can do it yourself if you want to save money tankslapper sells kits for all kinds of bikes. Takes practice, but you can save a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Ted

Dont overthink the flash, or go all custom buck wild on it like some here and they end up regretting it cause they either cant sort it, or air condition the block. Go with a tried and true flash/exhaust combo. You will be happier, trust me.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Ted

Dont overthink the flash, or go all custom buck wild on it like some here and they end up regretting it cause they either cant sort it, or air condition the block. Go with a tried and true flash/exhaust combo. You will be happier, trust me.

NOLA
Couldn't agree more. I want the restrictions removed, the ability to turn off TC on the fly, and maybe some smoothing of the throttle response.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Super soft paint, good thing they put on extra clear"...I'm hopin ya didn't already scratch it or somethin????.
Wearing a leather jacket on a twisty road, which means moving around a lot. I saw where it dulled the paint, I used some polishing compound and it shined right back up too easy.
I'm not sure what I want to use. Film or protector.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Ted

ZX-14 tank protector. I put one on mine, fit exactly and matches the color and lines of the other parts on the bike. Do it now before you scratch it.

NOLA

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have Brock's flash with Power Commander (with pipe and air filter) but I found it too rich down low causing afterfire on deceleration and off-on throttle hesitation, so I leaned out the fuel settings below 5000 RPM on the PC map (particularly on fully closed throttle) and run the engine braking setting on 'Light" and the overall control is way better now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried the "Light" setting and really couldn't tell the difference. Problem is the roads here are just covered with junk and it is hard to tell where the good surface of the road is. So the abrupt throttle amplifies itself when you are using extra caution to stay in the tire tracks the cars have left.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More thoughts on the abrupt throttle. Took a short ride yesterday because it was 71 degrees and beautiful out.
It gave me a chance to just concentrate on the abrupt throttle and there are two places it causes problems.
First on tight long turns it is hard to adjust your speed with the throttle, especially when the radius changes.
Second when the front wheel is in the air, you can't control the wheelie with the throttle, finite changes are almost impossible.
So I am going to have to really research the best way to smooth that out.
I remember in another thread people were saying the aftermarket blow off valve fixed the throttle. Any thoughts on that? Maybe regulating the positive pressure going to the switching valve may settle it down. Hmmm.

·
Registered
625 Posts
More thoughts on the abrupt throttle. Took a short ride yesterday because it was 71 degrees and beautiful out.
It gave me a chance to just concentrate on the abrupt throttle and there are two places it causes problems.
First on tight long turns it is hard to adjust your speed with the throttle, especially when the radius changes.
Second when the front wheel is in the air, you can't control the wheelie with the throttle, finite changes are almost impossible.
So I am going to have to really research the best way to smooth that out.
I remember in another thread people were saying the aftermarket blow off valve fixed the throttle. Any thoughts on that? Maybe regulating the positive pressure going to the switching valve may settle it down. Hmmm.

I’ve got to be honest Ted, I thought the throttle transition was terrible and for the first 1500 miles simply tried to get used to it.

After a few months I de restricted the bike by installing a stage 2 Brock flash with PCV and eventually combined this with a full Akra system and sprint filter.

Allegedly this mod is also claimed to give me a much smoother throttle but I can state categorically it’s still poor.
Admittedly, I love the bike, massive grunt but it’s not solved the throttle problem. It’s certainly improved a little but it is what it is: A fly by wire throttle connected to a vicious supercharged engine, it doesn’t make for a delicate progressive delivery!

IMO you’re going to struggle to get the old throttle feel you crave so much although I’m not prepared to start switching out throttle tubes etc so maybe you will...

That’s progress for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts