LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
@Kawiguy454

Makes sense, I was having a conversation with Guhl about exactly this and the solenoid.

I do have to disagree with the statement that in the absence of detonation cooler air is insignificant. In forced induction cooler air is ALWAYS significant. The cooler it is the more dense it is and that's an important factor. Density being the amount of oxygen crammed into a given volume of air. The more you cool it the more oxygen molecules in the same space. If you do the math, for every 10 degrees of temp drop we can get the density increases 1.8 percent, as does power.

NOLA
You have to read the whole sentence. The point is that if you do a BOV mod to get cooler IAT but also lose some IAP the ~10 degree temperature/density difference is just not as significant as what you lost from pressure.

Hond Trail 70 - Hond 125xl
2 x Yama RD350's
Yama IT465 - Yam Raptor 700
Kawi Z550
Suz Bandit 1200
Yama FZ1
Kawi ZX14
Kawi Concours 14
Kawi H2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
2 identical H2's/riders going down the road same gear same speed. Modded bike has a few PSI less in the plenum and both riders hit it ...which bike will be on more power immediately? If it was a turbo app you would call it lag albeit mush less. Wont make a difference in 1/4 mile or top end or dyno but in that hit the bike with less reserve boost in plenum will play catch-up. Maybe its only a front wheel but it is something?

Hond Trail 70 - Hond 125xl
2 x Yama RD350's
Yama IT465 - Yam Raptor 700
Kawi Z550
Suz Bandit 1200
Yama FZ1
Kawi ZX14
Kawi Concours 14
Kawi H2
post #33 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454 View Post
this mod SOUNDS good but in a roll on you may lose a bit to a bike without it.
Not necessarily and here's why. When there's less snatchiness you are able to get to full throttle sooner, while the guys with all the trapped boost are feathering the throttle to keep things civil.

This is a fundamental reason why dyno sheets never tell the whole story, and why often times, bikes with less hp on a dyno walk away from dyno monsters in the real world. Tractability is everything.

Last edited by Turbo329; 10-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.

post #34 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454 View Post
2 identical H2's/riders going down the road same gear same speed. Modded bike has a few PSI less in the plenum and both riders hit it ...which bike will be on more power immediately? If it was a turbo app you would call it lag albeit mush less. Wont make a difference in 1/4 mile or top end or dyno but in that hit the bike with less reserve boost in plenum will play catch-up. Maybe its only a front wheel but it is something?
On paper it would seem that way but out on the road it does not always work out that way. Not having built up boost trapped in the plenum allows the rider to roll into the throttle faster which results in smoother and faster acceleration.

This is why most riders with those "aggressive flashes" as I like to call them, claim that their bikes feel un-ridable. The power comes on so abruptly that they have a hard time metering the throttle application.

For reference, corners that I was too afraid to take in 3rd gear on the race track prior to the BOV install, I was finally able to take them in 3rd gear with the Turbosmart mounted.

My H2 is certainly not the fastest on paper, but I'd bet money that I have one of the most "tractable" H2s in the world. ..... if not, the most.
post #35 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
BTW Turbo329, your videos have been a real mind-opener for me, thank you for them. I am in long habit on any sportbike of keeping 'er spinning. But why be in 2nd if 3rd already can loft the front or spin the rear? Indeed if in a corner 4th provides all the drive that the tire can take what matter that the rpm is lower than we'd use on another bike? Very enlightening. Part of the tractability I think is your own decisions compared to guys with a more sudden flash AND who don't use the gearbox and take advantage of the broad torque as you do.

Last edited by trenace; 10-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.
post #36 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenace View Post
BTW Turbo329, your videos have been a real mind-opener for me, thank you for them. I am in long habit of keeping 'er spinning. But why be in 2nd if 3rd already can loft the front or spin the rear? Indeed if in a corner 4th provides all the drive that the tire can take what matter that the rpm is lower than we'd use on another bike? Very enlightening. Part of the tractability is your own decisions compared to guys with a more sudden flash AND who don't use the gearbox and take advantage of the broad torque as you do.
Good points.

A lot of it also comes down to rider skill level. So for example, if I was uncomfortable coming out of a corner in 3rd gear (with the recirc in place) and decided to use 4th, I wouldn't be able to fully take advantage of the 3rd gear transmission ratio which might have been ideal for that particular corner I was in. Reducing the part-throttle hit (by whatever method, be it retarding ignition timing, installing the BOV that vents off trapped boost, or running the map richer) ultimately will assist less skilled riders like myself, to be in the proper gear for the corner with a bike so powerful.

In all honesty, I think if people were being 100% honest with themselves - myself included, most of us would probably be faster riders if we slightly detuned our bikes. lol Except for the guys doing LSR. They need all the hp and abruptness they can get. hahahaha

I have a video clip somewhere, I have to look for it where I was on the track and the front wheel was in the air about 1-2 inches for a few seconds but you couldn't tell in the video until I sat it down. lol. My powerband is smooth.

Last edited by Turbo329; 10-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #37 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
Good points.

I have a video clip somewhere, I have to look for it where I was on the track and the front wheel was in the air about 1-2 inches for a few seconds but you couldn't tell in the video until I sat it down. lol. My powerband is smooth.
Found it! Lol

At 4:35-4:40 in this vid I come out of the 'keyhole' (right-hand turn) at Mid Ohio and noticed my front wheel inched up on me. You notice when I set the front back down at about 4:38. If the straight away didn't have a kink in it I would have just rode out the wheelie but I short-shifted so I could just get back on the gas and ride it out. With my less abrupt flash and BOV, I was able to set it down and get back on the gas immediately with little problems.

post #38 of 94 Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, that was a HARD drive off of that corner, you passed that one dude like he was parked. She was boosting hard there, then the little adjustment and you were back on the throttle, very nice, very well chosen line, often times the faster line is not the textbook line, I think that the bikes power and weight make a big difference for chosen line, take the clean 'carry' line in a 600, great, but take a larger more powerful bike and you have options. You used the momentum change well, then the boost even better. Excellent video. Bike sounds stunning.
post #39 of 94 Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Getting good part-throttle driveability is something that takes more tuning effort than establishing the wide-open power settings, but on a tight road or track (which Mid-Ohio is not) it makes the bike easier to ride.
post #40 of 94 Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
--- removed content ---

Initial testing wasn't correct.

See later post for details.

Last edited by ayjayef; 10-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page