LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wheelies, Altitude and Power 2018 H2

Having pulled the trigger on the Woolich flash setup I was finally able to look at the maps for the 2018 H2.
Now the fog is starting to lift.

First of all the maps show that the Throttle valves are really choked down at the higher RPMs anything above 1/3 throttle.

That explains a few things.

Altitude:
For me to make the same power as you who live near sea level, I have to be approx 2000 RPM higher and even more as the altitude rises.

So when I want to wheelie, for me to make enough power to do so I need to be at say 10000 (where at low alt it is more like 8000) so now looking at the maps at full throttle as soon as I get to 11k the throttles close to 62% and at 12k they are at 45% and so on down to 35%.

What that does is let me lift a bit, but when it hits 11k it slams down because the throttles have closed.

At sea level it has more power at lower RPMs and can bring up the wheel and carry it through and even with the closed down throttle you still have enough power to carry the wheel.

So I have not received the kit yet and now I can take the time to make a sensible map that the throttle plates and fueling are in line with the rest of the mapping.

This should make a new bike out of it. This is very cool.
enzo200500, H2Lou and H2015. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Let me know all about it because they are my choice for the same ECU you have.
post #3 of 54 Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Having pulled the trigger on the Woolich flash setup I was finally able to look at the maps for the 2018 H2.
Now the fog is starting to lift.

First of all the maps show that the Throttle valves are really choked down at the higher RPMs anything above 1/3 throttle.
Don Guhl said this back in 2015.

This is from memory so I might have the figures slightly wrong but he published the Throttle/RPM map which showed above 10,000 the ECU closed the throttles down to something like 30% at the red line, even though the rider was holding it at 100%. The supercharger was still boosting but Kawasaki appeared to have mapped it so the power curve flattened to hit the limiter less hard. There's an image showing the table somewhere on this site.

This was one of the major benefits of the early version of the re-flash along with turning off the speed limiter.

(Just found Don's image of the stock map which also shows it won't give 100% throttle low down either.)

Go Fast Or Go Home

Last edited by BobC; 12-17-2018 at 04:47 AM.

post #4 of 54 Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Hence "De-Restricted" when the ECU is flashed.

NOLA.
post #5 of 54 Old 09-22-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
All installed and ready for a full power map. Something sensible to start, just get full power out of it. Then start smoothing out the throttle response.

Looking at the H2R you can see basically what a full power map should look like, not the same values but the overall feel of how they did the timing, the ETV mapping, and the H2 follows most of those trends except for the EVT mapping where the restriction is huge. The 2017-2018 at full throttle at 10000 they are open fully, but at 13500 the throttle plates are only open 35.3%.
post #6 of 54 Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Sigh. Its because of noise values and that the exhaust has to be compatible with regs around the world. This, and the controls over throttle opening, has been discussed ad nauseam on here.

NOLA
post #7 of 54 Old 09-22-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
Sigh. Its because of noise values and that the exhaust has to be compatible with regs around the world. This, and the controls over throttle opening, has been discussed ad nauseam on here.

NOLA
You sure do like to complain. Sorry if I like to talk about motorcycles and the details. There is always something to learn. That is what forums do best. And there are others that need to use what I am using because the other suppliers don't do the 2017-2018. So I share what I find. Sorry is it annoys you,

I fully understand that you already know everything about the H2 and whatever we say is old news to you. And knowing you are the ultimate rider and my skills could never match yours, I need the experience of others to help me understand the basics. Sheesh.
ayjayef likes this.
post #8 of 54 Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Took it out for a long ride today with just the restrictions removed which means fixing the map so the throttle plates open fully and upping the rev limit to 14k and removing the top speed limiter.
The bike at altitude doesn't feel hugely different, a bit stronger past 10k but not as much as one would think.

Closer to sea level the difference is big. You can feel the thing just keep on getting stronger past 10k all the way to red line. And if you have the front wheel off the ground it doesn't pogo unless you let it off. When it wheelies in second it is violent but the Traction control has to be off.

So far so good. I am going to start getting the throttle plates closer to what my wrist says to do when past say 1/4 throttle, up to 1/4 and especially off the stop, I will be smoothing out the response.
Anthony at Woolich is sending me some maps to get started with fueling and get is basically dialed in.
@Rick150 you can pull the trigger, it works.
h2madness! likes this.
post #9 of 54 Old 09-24-2018, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
What was the damage to your pocket ??
post #10 of 54 Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick150 View Post
What was the damage to your pocket ??
$450ish with shipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page