Carbon rims - okay? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 11-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Well...no doubt it can happen.I've had it happen,on my zx12r.I just sense the H2 damper is quite active in stopping headshake.I would like to have a way of actually seeing the times it's overridden a 'possible'.And check out just what circumstances it was under.I can't remember getting so much as a light wiggle from my H2.Always feels planted and controlled.The faster I go,the more stable the front feels.Which makes sense considering the damper is reading wheel speed as well.
I'm more concerned about running out of grip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
Not to thread jack your post Brock, but that "metal" rim in your pic is a Cast Magnesium Marvic which is probably old and brittle based on the pic. An aged cast magnesium rim will not hold up to any real stress test. You know I love you bro, but I had to chime in with that.

A carbon fiber wheel is stronger and safer than a cast magnesium wheel past its warranty period. Just fact.

Well built carbon is in fact strong but ultimately it won't provide the same safety net as an aluminum wheel (forged or cast).

In all fairness, I read the carbon wheel data page on your site and it does seem that Carbon wheels have come a long way from just 10 years ago. Manufacturing processes and quality control look to have improved dramatically.

......I'm not sure I'm ready for a set tho. Maybe one day.
@Turbo329 , we consider any wheel that's not carbon to be "metal" in our world: forged, cast and spun aluminum, cast or forged magnesium, etc.

You are correct, the photo of the cast mag was taken close to 10 years ago when I was visiting BST in South Africa - they had piles of bent and broken "metal" wheels to marvel. I had used (and broken) cast mags in the past, so this particular wheel caught my eye.

FYI: a single carbon wheel is used during the DOT approval process (impact, cornering fatigue, radial fatigue tests), while multiple metal wheels must typically be used to pass the same tests.
I agree that,in general, a forged aluminum wheel might be tough to beat in the strength department - but they can also be twice as heavy as carbon (rear) and bend/stay bent to allow rapid air loss after an impact...so your safety net comment can be suspect in some situations.

If you get a chance, ride a bike with carbon fiber wheels - you will be far more likely to purchase a set. You can feel the weight difference in the first 10 feet of operation, and the smiles just keep getting bigger, the faster you go.

Brock
Brocks Performance

Last edited by Brock; 11-15-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: type-o
post #23 of 41 Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
For what it's worth - and this is from an owner of two sets of Dymag magnesium wheels! - I would pick modern carbon fiber wheels in a second over magnesium IF I COULD - which I couldn't, (A) against the vintage roadracing rules, (B) not available in the rear size that I needed (17 x 4.5).

post #24 of 41 Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawah2 View Post
This was street riding the 2016 zx10r and H2 and they are the ONLY bikes this has ever happened on in 42 years of riding many bikes on the same roads, under the same conditions !

I think it has to do with the Kawasaki geometry as no such issues on BMW s1000rr (10, 12), Gsxr1000's (01, 05), R1's(99), Busa's (99, 00), CBR900rr (93), YZF1000 (89), plus many more.
Very interesting! The fact that it only happened on a bike as new as the ones today and not any of those old bikes is mind blowing lol. I have had the wheel float, hit bumps, wheelie and come down, never once give me any sign of head shake. The electronic damper tightens up automatically as the wheel leaves the ground.

This BMW sure didn't keep calm LOL! I don't think it has anything to do with the geometry of the bike heh

2016 Ninja H2 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest. 1/4 - 7.901 at 181mph - 233.6mph in 1 mile. CMP Built Motor, Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, R&G Undertail
post #25 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted10R View Post
Very interesting! The fact that it only happened on a bike as new as the ones today and not any of those old bikes is mind blowing lol. I have had the wheel float, hit bumps, wheelie and come down, never once give me any sign of head shake. The electronic damper tightens up automatically as the wheel leaves the ground.

This BMW sure didn't keep calm LOL! I don't think it has anything to do with the geometry of the bike heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5rhlw_f_FI
LOL ... that is because the genius raised the forks in the triple tree a LOT, not a smart move on that bike for track use! It looks more setup for drag racing than road racing.

Knockhill used to be my local track
post #26 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
For what it's worth - and this is from an owner of two sets of Dymag magnesium wheels! - I would pick modern carbon fiber wheels in a second over magnesium IF I COULD - which I couldn't, (A) against the vintage roadracing rules, (B) not available in the rear size that I needed (17 x 4.5).
GoFaster,

Unfortunately, we typically can't do much about (A)... for various reasons.

(B) is far easier to address:

Brock
Brocks Performance
post #27 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Nice ... I don't think that option existed 4 years ago, not that it would have changed anything in the rule book!

I had suspicions about how high the forks had been slid up in that BMW as well, but I'm not familiar with what's stock on those.
post #28 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawah2 View Post
LOL ... that is because the genius raised the forks in the triple tree a LOT, not a smart move on that bike for track use! It looks more setup for drag racing than road racing.
LOL good observation, but regardless that is still straight line acceleration. Im lowered 1" in the front on the H2, no head shake here

2016 Ninja H2 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest. 1/4 - 7.901 at 181mph - 233.6mph in 1 mile. CMP Built Motor, Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, R&G Undertail
post #29 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
That's cause you have the amazing ESD!I wouldn't go turnin it off any time soon.It's on there for a reason.God knows what would happen if it didn't have one!
post #30 of 41 Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted10R View Post
LOL good observation, but regardless that is still straight line acceleration. Im lowered 1" in the front on the H2, no head shake here
You've also got a lot more wheelbase, and probably rear ride height that is not stock, either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page