Has anyone tried the Michelin RS tires on the H2? - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone tried the Michelin RS tires on the H2?

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Michelin RS tires on the H2 yet. I don't trust Bridestones, mostly because they handle like crap in most instances. Yes, good grip for the most part but usually after a couple of hundred miles the handling falls off. Usually switching to Michelins make a new bike. Even in MotoGP, switching to Michelins and lap records fell.
Anyway, not worrying about wear, any thoughts on the Michelin RS? Read a few reports and they say it is a really good grippy tire that handles extremely well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I use Super Sport EVO, I think RS will made to replace them?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-27-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I found a few more reviews and none really give a good answer as how they compare to the RS10s. I have to admit the RS10s seem to be well liked other than their wear. So far as I can tell the Michelins seem to be equal in grip and maybe a bit better handling and maybe better wear. Sure would like some empirical evidence.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I think the RS10's are very good, yes they wear out quickly though, but seem to hang on even on low tread levels - for me anyway.

I have just fitted new RS10 R-Type front and rear for my upcoming Phillip Island 2 day track ride next thurs/friday. Will let you know how they go, but would expect even less wear time out of them!

Don.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I think rs10's were originally meant to be tyre on r1 from 2015 onward but i think half way through year they stopled and came with diablo supercorsas instead. I never bothered to find out why but i hated the diablos.....too long to warm up and a bit hard....i love metzeler racetecs k3 after my buddy said to try them....heat up fast....loads a grip and 1200miles maybe more out of them. And they tend not to move or squish unless you are on the limit which i like
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I put the Diablo V2s on my ZX10 and they are like glue. Not wearing very well, but I expected that . I may get 800 miles out of them.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
My $0.02 -- I wouldn't put any soft carcass tire on the H2. It already has flex built into the chassis and the suspension is soft-ish. This is why from day 1 I recommended the Dunlop GPA-Pros which is typically of a firmer construction. ...but they like HEAT tho. If I'm just backroad and street riding, I like the Bridgestone RS10s. The front grips like a race tire. 2 rears to a front and you're golden.

Ted, you're BUGGING if you think Bridgestones handle like crap. hahahahahahahahah It's okay though. We all have our preference. I don't get on well with the Michelin PP3s. I hate those tires. But any pro on a PP3 street tire would leave me like I'm going backwards regardless of what I'm riding.

I once saw a post by a tire manufacturer rep that basically said that "any tire feedback from someone who is not on lap record pace is irrelevant". hahahahaha at first I thought it was pretty arrogant but now in my old age and wisdom I agree with him. Most of us don't get enough heat in the tire to truly see what it's capable of.

I think you should just ride what you're comfortable on and what inspires the most confidence. In 2004 I lowsided my 999 on a Pirelli. I've never run a Pirelli since. ...and coincidentally I've never lowsided again. Doesn't mean that Pirellis suck, 'cause I know better. It's a feel/confidence thing. I did a tire test one year and tested the Dunlop Ntec Slick vs. the Pirelli V01 slick at NJMP. The Dunlop felt at least 3 seconds faster but my laptimer only showed 0.4 tenths of a second difference. So, I stuck with the Dunlop, not because they were worlds better than the Bridgestone (they weren't), but because they made me feel like a Hero.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Turbo329,
Thanks, Yeah, we could talk about the ultimate lap time achieved by a tire if we only were riding the track. And I have to agree pretty much completely with you on many points.
BUT in my case, this bike will seldom go to a track if ever. So the tires will wear in a very different manner. There are just times that the twisty bits of road are a long way down a freeway. And I ride my sportsbikes long distances each time I go out (just did 250 miles on the 10 Sunday). And even though I am an old guy, I am very hard on tires and brakes. That being said, I average about 1000 miles for a set of tires on a sport bike(ZX10) and 2000 on my Concours 14, I blow through a set of pads in 10k on the Concours. I thought there were no bigger pieces of junk than the Bridgestones that came on the Concours, until I tried the Pirelli Angel GTs on it. I shredded them in less than 2000 miles to where big chunks of rubber came off the tire. To verify that, it happened to two sets. The Bridgestones handling went off at about 300 miles to where you felt like you were going to not make the corner anytime you pushed a little bit. I run PR4s on it now, it squirms a bit but you know what is going on.
Having ridden for 50 years and worked in a motorcycle shop for 12 years, raced flat track and road raced (albeit many years ago) I do know when a tire goes to pot. And like the Pirellis to you, having seen so many bad things happen to a motorcycle from sliding off a road (again you see a lot working at a bike shop) and most were shod with Bridgestones, I just don't trust them.
BUT I am willing to give them a shot, I love to be surprised. But I also would like to know if the Michelins are worth a $hit.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Turbo329,
Thanks, Yeah, we could talk about the ultimate lap time achieved by a tire if we only were riding the track. And I have to agree pretty much completely with you on many points.
BUT in my case, this bike will seldom go to a track if ever. So the tires will wear in a very different manner. There are just times that the twisty bits of road are a long way down a freeway. And I ride my sportsbikes long distances each time I go out (just did 250 miles on the 10 Sunday). And even though I am an old guy, I am very hard on tires and brakes. That being said, I average about 1000 miles for a set of tires on a sport bike(ZX10) and 2000 on my Concours 14, I blow through a set of pads in 10k on the Concours. I thought there were no bigger pieces of junk than the Bridgestones that came on the Concours, until I tried the Pirelli Angel GTs on it. I shredded them in less than 2000 miles to where big chunks of rubber came off the tire. To verify that, it happened to two sets. The Bridgestones handling went off at about 300 miles to where you felt like you were going to not make the corner anytime you pushed a little bit. I run PR4s on it now, it squirms a bit but you know what is going on.
Having ridden for 50 years and worked in a motorcycle shop for 12 years, raced flat track and road raced (albeit many years ago) I do know when a tire goes to pot. And like the Pirellis to you, having seen so many bad things happen to a motorcycle from sliding off a road (again you see a lot working at a bike shop) and most were shod with Bridgestones, I just don't trust them.
BUT I am willing to give them a shot, I love to be surprised. But I also would like to know if the Michelins are worth a $hit.

At a track day earlier this season there were 4 accidents in the afternoon sessions and they were all on PP3. One thing I noticed is that different tires respond to different types of pavement. While I love my GPA Pros at NJMP and Summit Point, I didn't particularly like them at Mid Ohio. There are just too many factors to list and it just might be that the Bridgestones don't work well where you ride. That squirmy-ness you felt, I always feel that when I run Michelins.

As far as factors you have:

- ideal operating temp of the tire
- type of pavement
- tire carcass
- suspension setup optimal for tire brand
- weight of bike and rider on full tank/half tank/close to empty tank
- temperature of the suspension oil when the engine heats up or after a bit of compression on a spirited ride
- viscosity of the suspension oil
- How many heat cycles the tire has had

....and the list goes on.

Honestly, for street riding and mileage I'm a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Road. They corner pretty good too. Not an angular profile, it's actually more like a dunlop. And the grip is right in the middle on the spectrum. It's not great but its not exactly terrible either. I could probably run fast intermediate pace on a Michelin Pilot Road at a track day.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
At a track day earlier this season there were 4 accidents in the afternoon sessions and they were all on PP3. One thing I noticed is that different tires respond to different types of pavement. While I love my GPA Pros at NJMP and Summit Point, I didn't particularly like them at Mid Ohio. There are just too many factors to list and it just might be that the Bridgestones don't work well where you ride. That squirmy-ness you felt, I always feel that when I run Michelins.

As far as factors you have:

- ideal operating temp of the tire
- type of pavement
- tire carcass
- suspension setup optimal for tire brand
- weight of bike and rider on full tank/half tank/close to empty tank
- temperature of the suspension oil when the engine heats up or after a bit of compression on a spirited ride
- viscosity of the suspension oil
- How many heat cycles the tire has had

....and the list goes on.

Honestly, for street riding and mileage I'm a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Road. They corner pretty good too. Not an angular profile, it's actually more like a dunlop. And the grip is right in the middle on the spectrum. It's not great but its not exactly terrible either. I could probably run fast intermediate pace on a Michelin Pilot Road at a track day.
Turbo329,
I slide the PR4s on the Concours quite a bit. So I would hesitate to use them on the H2. And as you say different tires act differently on different surfaces. So road riding requires a tire that does well in many circumstances. So I'm sure I will find out how the BS tires work and since I go through them so quickly, trying the Michelins won't be a huge deal. I can always change back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page