LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Let's talk helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Scorpion and it was delivered the next day by RevZilla. Went for a short ride with it and I am not really impressed.

It fits well with the exception that the top liner hits the top of my ears and it may be uncomfortable after a few hours.
The shield sucks. Nasty ratcheting thing that has distortions at the very top.
The drop down shield works well but is not optically correct. It is not unbearable but.....
Air comes in around the ears and is distracting, I'm sure you could get used to it, but again.....
It is no quieter than an Arai Corsair. Which is the main reason I got it, so that is a bust.
It is very light and the materials seem to be of good quality.

It is a decent helmet for the price, as a matter of fact a great helmet for the price, but it ain't no Arai.

Shame youíre not impressed Ted, I always try before I buy.
TBH my one and only experience with an Arai was a Quantum e Aaron Slight replica back in the early 2000ís and it was a piece of shite that literally fell to pieces.
First the top vents snapped, then the visor catch fell off followed by the the hinge covers falling off and paint crazing. It went back twice before I threw it in a skip and vowed never again.
Been Shoei ever since, currently an X-Sprit 3 Marquez, I love the build quality and fit but we all have different heads and experiences.
Iím interested in Schuberth as a brand, most of the F1 drivers use them, good enough reference for me to take a look next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Vemars are good.AGVs are good.Haven't worn my arai with the drop down visor but only once.Vemars over arais IMO.Always bought arais in the past.The carbon vemar is the best(for me).
post #13 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Garage
I think you absolutely have to try before you buy with a helmet. I've just replaced my old Shoei, nothing wrong with it but it was five years old and over the recommended age for a helmet, it would also fail scrutineering at race meetings as they always check the date label.

I bought the Shoei X Spirit 3, a brilliant helmet. Light weight, quiet and very safe.
jayski likes this.

Go Fast Or Go Home

post #14 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I tried one on, but I didn't notice my ears hitting. And didn't notice it until I was riding it and had it on for a while. The distortions in the shield showed up when I was riding the bike and hunched over and looking through the top of the shield. My bad for not noticing it.

The quiet part is impossible to test until you ride with it and no one in Reno lets you take a test ride with one (the only place that has them is the Harley shop). As well as the air coming in around the ears.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think you absolutely have to try before you buy with a helmet. I've just replaced my old Shoei, nothing wrong with it but it was five years old and over the recommended age for a helmet, it would also fail scrutineering at race meetings as they always check the date label.

I bought the Shoei X Spirit 3, a brilliant helmet. Light weight, quiet and very safe.

Completely agree Bob, absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

post #16 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I tried one on, but I didn't notice my ears hitting. And didn't notice it until I was riding it and had it on for a while. The distortions in the shield showed up when I was riding the bike and hunched over and looking through the top of the shield. My bad for not noticing it.

The quiet part is impossible to test until you ride with it and no one in Reno lets you take a test ride with one (the only place that has them is the Harley shop). As well as the air coming in around the ears.

Thatís a fair point, some things youíll never know until you ride using one.

post #17 of 37 Old 06-27-2019, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Keep in mind...Airflow equals wind-noise. Once I understood that then I had to get in the habit of wearing earplugs all the time. I have small ear canals and found Small size plugs online, like a bag of 30 was 12.00? Get to wear the helmet I want(Arai) at comfortable noise level. Your ears will thank you later!

2019H2 Carbon ordered. Better late than never!
2017 S1000RR On its way out. Will be missed..
2012 Tri-color Panigale...Pizza burner, was fun.
2015 R1200RT People mover...
post #18 of 37 Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
When I first purchased my Neotec 2 I hated it but with a bit of padding adjustment I like it, especially the flip up and the Sena. I was told that the flip up needs more strength so the look up vision suffers and the market is for cruisers not sport bikes. Well it took me ages to adjust the field of view but now I am happy I don't have to tear my ears off when somebody wants to chat which often happens when an under the thumb man wants to talk about YouTube and my H2.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey View Post
Keep in mind...Airflow equals wind-noise. Once I understood that then I had to get in the habit of wearing earplugs all the time. I have small ear canals and found Small size plugs online, like a bag of 30 was 12.00? Get to wear the helmet I want(Arai) at comfortable noise level. Your ears will thank you later!
This is exactly why I wear ear plugs too, even under my Shoei helmet. I have read reports in the past stating once the speed gets around 80kmh/50mph and over then just the wind noise can cause hearing impairment from prolonged exposure (probably years, not sure).
D.Kinsey likes this.
post #20 of 37 Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey View Post

True but helmet design mitigates the type of flow around the helmet. Thats why AGV put the tiny spoiler on the lower rear of the helmet to reduce buffeting, noise, and lift on the helmet at high speed.

NOLA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page