LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-07-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Let's have a discussion about Tools

I am a tool fanatic with strong opinions about tools. I own all sorts of tools, many different brands, some cheap, some mega expensive. I have been collecting tools for almost 45 years.
But in those 45 years I have learned a lot from others about what works and what doesn't, and I would like to learn more. And maybe help other from what I have learned.
Tools are far more important than one thinks. Lousy tools can turn a simple task into a nightmare and vice versa.
So to start I was a motorcycle mechanic starting in 1969 and did that for about 12 years. Worked flat rate for many of those years and when you work flat rate, tools are your best friend.
I am a Snap-on junkie and I can't break my addiction, I have tried the 12 steps and it is no use. Yes, I buy some tools from Harbor Freight, please forgive me.
Anyone else with a strong opinion, or a good collection, or just like tools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Craftsman. Easy to swap out, good selection, dont have to wait for the guy in the truck to show up, or restock.

NOLA

Edit: P.S....Jesus Christ Ted I hope your bike comes in soon so you have something more creative to write about.
racer172, Lamf1969 and H2015 like this.

Last edited by NOLA; 03-07-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add some J.C.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
Craftsman. Easy to swap out, good selection, dont have to wait for the guy in the truck to show up, or restock.

NOLA

Edit: P.S....Jesus Christ Ted I hope your bike comes in soon so you have something more creative to write about.
LOL that was funny.
Yeah, I do like tool though. Not a Craftsman fan, Kobolt are much higher quality for about the same price. Also more available than Craftsman.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-08-2018, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage
I'll add a couple of thoughts to this thread.

First one: Like many I started off with a basic kit and over the years, every time I've needed a tool for a specific job, I went out and bought it. Now I have a comprehensive tool kit and can tackle almost anything. Some of my tools, like the carb-balancer, I will probably never use again but buying them saved me money because I didn't need to pay someone else to do the job.

Second thought: When you see a roller cabinet of Snap-on tools all lined up in neat rows, everything in it's place this isn't just for show. The owner can tell at a glance if anything's missing, left inside the engine perhaps. Keep them tidy guys.

Go Fast Or Go Home
post #5 of 15 Old 03-08-2018, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
My favorite and best used tool is the 9 inch one the wife likes

Like most I have a good selection of tools, I personally like "Teng", good quality and not overpriced

Like Bob' I buy tools to suit a specific job although it may only be used once or twice, but that's just me

Probably the best "tool" I have is my air compressor, comes in so handy for lots of things

Cheers Rob

PS
The 9 inch is just a dream
post #6 of 15 Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@BobC I have a story about that Snap-on tool missing.
I was putting everything away after a long day of working on many different motorcycles and noticed my Snap-on dykes were missing. I thought someone borrowed them, I just couldn't find them anywhere and gave up and bought another pair. 2 months later a bike came in for a service, I popped open the seat and there were my dykes, right where I left them.
BobC likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sockets and ratchets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200249_117741538301303_2695606_n.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	22129  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
I'm posting this mainly to distract poor TedG from staring forlornly at a stationary clock face or calendar page .

I have a reasonable selection of Snap on tools for the basic work that I do , I could not justify the cost of Snap on stuff myself but brought a job lot when a friend of a friend got love sick and followed his girlfriend to Australia and was DESPERATE for quick money.

In my non mechanic experience to strip out a hex head bolt one would either be using tools from a Christmas cracker or using imperial on metric, I have had cheap Allen keys bend or twist but even they have not stripped the bolt out .
A reasonable quality tool set for the home mechanic is more then adequate but I do understand the "need" for Snap on stuff . It's not the lifetime guarantee that sells Snap on tools as when did you last break a spanner or ratchet? even if you have it can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of Snap on stuff . For myself the appeal of them is the feel of them in your hand , they do make average tools feel clumsy.
TedG likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-11-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
I'm posting this mainly to distract poor TedG from staring forlornly at a stationary clock face or calendar page .

I have a reasonable selection of Snap on tools for the basic work that I do , I could not justify the cost of Snap on stuff myself but brought a job lot when a friend of a friend got love sick and followed his girlfriend to Australia and was DESPERATE for quick money.

In my non mechanic experience to strip out a hex head bolt one would either be using tools from a Christmas cracker or using imperial on metric, I have had cheap Allen keys bend or twist but even they have not stripped the bolt out .
A reasonable quality tool set for the home mechanic is more then adequate but I do understand the "need" for Snap on stuff . It's not the lifetime guarantee that sells Snap on tools as when did you last break a spanner or ratchet? even if you have it can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of Snap on stuff . For myself the appeal of them is the feel of them in your hand , they do make average tools feel clumsy.
And yes the only time the clock has moved is when I set it to daylight savings time.
Snap-on doesn't make sense all the time.
BUT here is a true story about Craftsman vs Snap-on. First let me say it is about time, if time is valuable like when you are working flat rate(for those who don't know what flat rate is, you get paid by what the book says it takes to complete that job, I.E if the book says it takes 1 hr to replace a clutch, you get paid for 1 hour even if it took you 2 hours, or it took you 30 minutes) you do not want to waste a minute. If it is not valuable well...
So my friend who is a world class Hot Rod builder, primo welder and fabricator has a pretty crappy set of tools but he doesn't really work on that much stuff. Anyway he bought a 65 Vette and was going to rebuild the brake calipers. So he took his Craftsman socket and break over bar and proceeded to try to break loose the bolts. The socket broke on the first one, so he stopped and we went to lunch all the way across town and went to Sears and got another socket with absolutely no hassle. Came back tried another bolt and broke the socket. He went back to Sears the next day and got another. Came back and broke it. I came over that day and brought my Snap-on socket, we went around the car and removed all the caliper bolts with no issue, even when we had to use a pipe as an extender to get enough leverage.
So yes, Craftsman has a lifetime guarantee that they honor pretty much painlessly. But the problem is their stuff breaks and really doesn't fit well. And if you have the time to bring back a broken tool sometimes multiple times .. But if you need something that you can depend upon to always do the job, and fit perfectly, then Snap-on pays for itself over and over. And if by any chance you do break a tool, you can call the Snap-on guy and he will deliver a new tool to you.

Last edited by TedG; 03-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
"A good workman never blames his tools" mac and snap on can be expensive when compared to other brands. But other brands exist that can be better in certain situations i like anything that has a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page