43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 167 Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xr View Post
Yeah, the 2016 had no plugs. I looked at the 2016 at local dealer before selling it months ago and I saw no plugs.

Man that f'in sucks. One question, did you wash your bike with a hose? If so, I believe there is the cause. Water is getting into everything. I personally sponge wash/dab all my bikes. Never hose wash/spray. It does take longer but I know water and suds aren't getting into places that may not be good. Call be over caring/babying and paranoid but no problems so far. As others stated, WD-40 the rust out and then either buy rim strips and hole punch circles out to cove up the holes. or just WD-40 and if hose wash/spray, shoot up some WD-40 in holes after washing.
I thought I updated this....I gotta look back. The 2016's DO COME WITH plugs....After the 3600 serials start...Mine is a early 3500 serial and no plugs. Dealer has another 3600 with them...Factory installed.

Of course I wash it with a hose, and a normal wide size nozzle. I dont insert the F-ing thing in the hole, but I am pretty sure of all the bikes I have owned they are all waterproof and drivable in the rain. I looked all thru the owners manual and no where does it say "dont get frame wet!!".... (Ok, I didnt really look, that was for emphasis)...

NOLA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 167 Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
I thought I updated this....I gotta look back. The 2016's DO COME WITH plugs....After the 3600 serials start...Mine is a early 3500 serial and no plugs. Dealer has another 3600 with them...Factory installed.

Of course I wash it with a hose, and a normal wide size nozzle. I dont insert the F-ing thing in the hole, but I am pretty sure of all the bikes I have owned they are all waterproof and drivable in the rain. I looked all thru the owners manual and no where does it say "dont get frame wet!!".... (Ok, I didnt really look, that was for emphasis)...

NOLA
Well technically, its some of the 2016's come with plugs. LOL. I never got serial of 2016 my dealer had. I just looked to see if the weld holes were and they weren't. So that would mean it was an early serial/frame.

Hey, wash your bikes how you see fit. I was just making an implied statement that with a hose, water will travel further, more pressure, and can be sprayed at any angle. It's totally separate from the angle rain comes down. Sure say the water spray from the ground can get in the holes. I'm sure it can, but not as easily as a from a hose. I've actually been caught in rain on mine and very very very little water, okay practically none made it into mine. Reason, on right side, front hole has clamp in it and its partly covered by motor. left side is more exposed but due to my legs and loose fit jeans, most of the road spray hit my leg before the frame in that area. SO, hose spray in your case is the cause. Is it rusting due to lack of Kawasaki rust treatment getting up in there?... maybe. But its a risk most take hosing off any bike for that matter. Just because you cane see rust doesn't mean it's not somewhere. I know and except the rain may have gotten in mine and I just haven't seen it in the typical location.

However, I don't make it a point to ride my h2 in the rain or hose wash/spray it. If caught in the rain, I make it to the nearest underpass or covering and wait it out. If I have to chance riding in the rain, I have 2 other bikes I'd chance and ride instead.
selenap likes this.
post #143 of 167 Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My replacement frame came with plugs fitted,as mentioned before its not just a plug near the weld hole there are plugs in the upper part of the frame as well.A motorcycle should be able to get wet without rust being a problem especially when it is so new.Its not like a hose is a pressure cleaner if your using a steel frame with holes it should be treated.
mr.xr likes this.

post #144 of 167 Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malh2 View Post
My replacement frame came with plugs fitted,as mentioned before its not just a plug near the weld hole there are plugs in the upper part of the frame as well.A motorcycle should be able to get wet without rust being a problem especially when it is so new.Its not like a hose is a pressure cleaner if your using a steel frame with holes it should be treated.
Glad to hear Kawasaki did right by you. However, when you 1st reported this I went to my dealer and they were puzzled. pointed them to this thread and they got on the phone with Kawasaki. After weeks of talking with Kawasaki, they were told by Kawasaki that they will ship out plugs for all H2's and H2R's sold. Well, several months later, still no plugs.

I agree, any bike should be able to get wet without rust being a problem but one cant ever be to sure everything was done correctly at the factory as we are seeing on some. So I just choose to not hose wash/spray any of my bikes like most do. Its all personal preference just anything and everything else. Those are the outcomes should things at the factory level not be done properly.

The real question is, will Kawasaki be proactive and circumvent the problem to those who don't have plugs or just do cases by case? Again, glad Kawasaki has done right by you. It does show a very small sign of good faith on their behalf. What about the rest.
post #145 of 167 Old 09-23-2016, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malh2 View Post
Do you think yours is the only frame that Kawasaki has actually changed ? I'm speculating that they would have cut it open to see how serious the corrosion was inside the bracket .
Could be why they are being so noncommittal about this issue .
I see this as a serious problem for Kawasaki not only now but in ten or twenty years time when they have a frame failure and obviously it can be demonstrated that they were aware of the problem from early 2015 .
mr.xr likes this.
post #146 of 167 Old 09-23-2016, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I"m perfectly happy with the bike imperfections and all. It is a new model bike and an oversight managed to get thru the design/engineering process. If Kawi told you you had to wait X months more for delivery so they could acquire and insert plugs would you have waited? Or if they offered a full refund now would you take it because that small oversight is there? I had a 2006 ZX14 with the frame that could crack and the rear end drop. This issue is not to that level for a warranty period frame replacement that's why they're not doing it en mass. A few workable solutions have been suggested just do one of them and check it now and then. Saying Kawasaki is responsible for a broken frame in 10-20 years from rust removes your responsibility to look after your bike. If this was the case Detroit automakers would have all rusted out of business a long time ago.

I don't like the idea of plugs, They seal by being tight and pliable rubber so you wont know if/when they degrade from age/heat and crack so water will seep in and not easily evaporate out. I haven't done it yet but I'm going to shoot in some rust preventative in there then get it nice and hot a few times to burn out any moisture or light volitiles then put paint matching stickers on to seal out future water entry. IMO you want to put the stickers on hot so as frame cools vacuum forms inside that gusset and pulls them tight as the adhesive cures. The wheel pinstripe is a good idea and must have outstanding material and adhesive strength and it matches the paint.
selenap likes this.

Hond Trail 70 - Hond 125xl
2 x Yama RD350's
Yama IT465 - Yam Raptor 700
Kawi Z550
Suz Bandit 1200
Yama FZ1
Kawi ZX14
Kawi Concours 14
Kawi H2
post #147 of 167 Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM

@Kawiguy454

Hey man thats great you dont mind a little rust, but the rest of us do. Go for it with whatever remedy you want. Your discussion points are not in the realm of our reality nor do they all make sense.

I have a Colt 1911 a friend of mine let outside behind a barn for almost two weeks and its got a nice rust coating on it. I will be happy to sell it to you for the price of a new one if you want. I am sure it will still shoot for a little while.

NOLA
post #148 of 167 Old 09-23-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
Do you think yours is the only frame that Kawasaki has actually changed ? I'm speculating that they would have cut it open to see how serious the corrosion was inside the bracket .
Could be why they are being so noncommittal about this issue .
I see this as a serious problem for Kawasaki not only now but in ten or twenty years time when they have a frame failure and obviously it can be demonstrated that they were aware of the problem from early 2015 .
Speculating would be correct they delivered the new frame to dealer without cutting open the frame,it was picked up by kawasaki about 2 months after the changeover happened ,what happened after that i dont know and never will.
post #149 of 167 Old 09-24-2016, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454 View Post
I"m perfectly happy with the bike imperfections and all. It is a new model bike and an oversight managed to get thru the design/engineering process. If Kawi told you you had to wait X months more for delivery so they could acquire and insert plugs would you have waited? Or if they offered a full refund now would you take it because that small oversight is there? I had a 2006 ZX14 with the frame that could crack and the rear end drop. This issue is not to that level for a warranty period frame replacement that's why they're not doing it en mass. A few workable solutions have been suggested just do one of them and check it now and then. Saying Kawasaki is responsible for a broken frame in 10-20 years from rust removes your responsibility to look after your bike. If this was the case Detroit automakers would have all rusted out of business a long time ago.

I don't like the idea of plugs, They seal by being tight and pliable rubber so you wont know if/when they degrade from age/heat and crack so water will seep in and not easily evaporate out. I haven't done it yet but I'm going to shoot in some rust preventative in there then get it nice and hot a few times to burn out any moisture or light volitiles then put paint matching stickers on to seal out future water entry. IMO you want to put the stickers on hot so as frame cools vacuum forms inside that gusset and pulls them tight as the adhesive cures. The wheel pinstripe is a good idea and must have outstanding material and adhesive strength and it matches the paint.
Some stop gap solutions have been suggested but nothing from Kawasaki who seem to be taking a " bury its head in the sand " approach .
I really don't see it as a small oversight , even if it is due to a frame coating malfunction the water trap gusset seem such an obvious place for future problems im a little disappointed that it was overlooked . Another reason why plugging is not a guaranteed fix is that one of the small holes on the RHS inside of the frame is already used as a non water tight fixing with an already loose fitting plastic plug ( owners need to look to find this ) being used
(Remember there are three holes in each gusset not two ) .
A permanent solution would be a recall and a type of rubberised mastic filling the void and finishing with flush fitting plugs or even better the green rim tape as you and the original posting described .
As nothing official has come from Kawasaki how would owners even know they needed to take preventative measures in the first place ? With more than one hole in each gusset /bracket just a quick swipe of a hose will fill this void as it allows the air to escape quickly and the water to get in fast .
I personally don't wash my bike with a hose but it cannot be called poor ownership by owners that use that method .
Would I have waited months ? No but it is a simple fix that does not require months only days or hours .
mr.xr likes this.

Last edited by Supercharged; 09-24-2016 at 06:04 PM.
post #150 of 167 Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM

So....Final results.

Kawasaki offered to replace my frame with a new frame and plugs installed. I am not sure I will go with it. I have a VERY hard time with my local dealer disassembling the entire bike and swapping the frame. I am pretty sure I will file suit under redhibition (Louisiana) for selling a faulty product and try to get a judge to get them to buy it back.

If anyone wants the entire story I can put it on here

NOLA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page