Pop/click - front end braking - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
If it aint moving,and the side to side steering action is not binding but smooth...it sounds okay(to me).I think you'd feel it when ya decelerate off the gas quickly.A clunk.If there's movement in there...as some mentioned...you would feel it closing the throttle abruptly.Especially when it sounds like 'ours'.But like I said before...mine has been doing this deal from day one.And hasn't increased or decreased.It doesn't ALWAYS do this either.Like this morning.When I FIRST moved it(before taking the video)it wasn't making any noise.Only the brake clicking thing.It always does that after it's been sitting.

Course,if you think it should be checked...go for it.At least you'll know for sure.

Last edited by SilverbirdH2; 08-12-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
I can not believe this steering head bs is still around. It's been since '11 on 10r and they REFUSE to change pec and dealers refuse to go against spec. @rhody did the dealer help with you after some persuading? It's a pita and you need the right wrench or rig a different kind..
post #13 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1000 View Post
I can not believe this steering head bs is still around. It's been since '11 on 10r and they REFUSE to change pec and dealers refuse to go against spec. @rhody did the dealer help with you after some persuading? It's a pita and you need the right wrench or rig a different kind..

Nope, at the 600 mile service, after changing the oil the dealer noticed it, I saw/heard (click) the play with my own eyes and then torqued the steering head to spec. They were surprised as I was.

Rhody...

post #14 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rhody,

Did the noise/play/click all go away once you torqued it? Do you hear it from time to time still?

Craig
post #15 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
And what about the rotors/calipers do you hear anything from those when front braking to a stop?

Craig
post #16 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I went to a different dealer today and at first they checked for play by pulling the weight of the bike onto the kickstand while another guy moved the front forks/steering and they did NOT feel play. Then they took the bike down a 30 degree incline and applied the brakes and now the loud "pop" noise happened. The technician confirmed that the steering head bearings needs adjustment and also said that because the pop was so loud he was worried the bearings are not sufficiently greased. They are suggesting taking the whole front end apart and checking if the bearings are damaged at all and if there is sufficient grease on them. $30,000 for this bike ...brutal.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 PM

Hmmm...sorry to hear that.

post #18 of 25 Old 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Steering bearings are called out as a maintenance inspection in the first 600 mile service, its routine on all bikes, these things can settle with use especially on bikes that can wheelie easily. Don't understand what the fuss is all about?
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Let me ask you this...IF you check the fork 'play' by getting the front off the floor with a centerjack...and find no movement,is it safe to assume the bearings are properly adjusted?Thanks.

I just went out and 'tested' the front again...from sitting overnight.From as best I can tell...that noise(on mine)is coming from the brake calipers.There's no noise up around the steering head.

mr.xr likes this.

Last edited by SilverbirdH2; 08-14-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Made a slight adjustment to steering head bearings and bike feels amazing now! No more pop/click/noise.

Thanks guys.
SilverbirdH2 and ben1000z like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page