• 1 Post By Rick150

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
H2_Niken review

As promised I got a good unlimited ride on the Niken and have my opinion as an H2 owner. Road it like I stole it as the dealer told me to.
Will post my personal opinion soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2560.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	24665  
h2madness! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-29-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The only place I could get a WOF for my ZX11 on the day was at the Yamaha dealer. I live in a rural area and they gave me the use of a Niken for the afternoon while they checked my machine.

So, I did what the dealer told me to do, ride it like I stole it.
During that day I rode over the same road with my H2, ZX11 and Niken. The road is seal with many tight switchback corners on about 20 degree incline, about 6km of it. There was also about 15km of highway.

My impression of this Niken is that the cornering ability is so good with turn in speeds 20% faster than I normally would. Exits are another thing, the rear drifts under power after the apex like it's pushing a bit of weight but the front stays planted. The steering takes a bit of getting used to as it is completely neutral, feels like the bike follows my eyes without any steering input. Never felt so relaxed pushing it through the corners on a road that I ridden at least twice a week for 30 years.

With the lack of maintenance on some road I am forever avoiding the drain covers, potholes and general unevenness of the surface. The Niken has to be ridden a little different to avoid this stuff. The lack of rebound feel as one wheel drops in when the other doesn't and if the front wheels go either side the rear suspension sucks it up. There is no stiff shudder from the front on rough roads as each wheel is doing it's own thing which seems to cancel out transfer to the frame, even in corners.

Moving away from the curb or traffic lights it tends to weave slightly, again I think because the steering is so neutral.

I live up a long drive, 100 metres or so and it took me a few goes at figuring how to drive up it. Best method is to have the rear follow the groove.
Brakes are good considering it's quit a heavy bike.

It seems to be speed limited to about 200kph, I asked the dealer about this and he said it's to do with stability. I would imagine the front would have problems because it catches so much air.

The bike is about the safest thing I have ever ridden, it's a real bike, not a trike, if you let go it falls over.

What I don't like?

Cable clutch,
Wrong engine, not enough power but then there would worse issues powering out of corners, maybe that's why it has this engine.
Wiring and throttle cable routing looks cheap, right in front of the rider though the handlebar mounts.

This would be the ideal MC for somebody that's been away for motorcycling since younger days as it goes reasonably well and has a margin of safety others don't have. It is a sports bike, probably out handle most.

Compared to the H2, all I can say is they both have wheels, that's about all they have in common.

I would suggest taking one for a ride to get a good understanding of what I am trying to convey here. It's like watching You tube H2 video's, actually riding the H2 is more terrifying. You need to ride the Niken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	24669  
zxrob likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Nice write up

Credit to Yamaha for doing something completely different, I have read a few reviews on it , mostly being pretty positive (ish)

It is however, one ugly mother f**cker of a machine

Rob

Adventure before Dementia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page