first ride impressions - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
chipmonk....it only gets goin 10k plus great vid hope you are enjoying the bike ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamf1969 View Post
Regarding the throttle, this is my experience with my old 2016 H2.
Derestriction was purchased via Brockís, sent my ECU to USA to be flashed and returned derestricted & supplied with a PCV loaded with Brockís fuel map.
Positives: Complete derestriction, great service, fast international delivery, knowledgeable/helpful staff and Brock is also an approachable and very helpful guy.
Negatives: Iím in UK and the PCV map was initially too rich for our fuel, Brock helped me with this and it was much better after uploading a new map he mailed.
However, my throttle was always shocking, whilst itís supposed to improve the reality is that it didnít. Power, massive, controllability, finesse, NO!
I know itís helped some but personally I didnít want a mechanical ďfixĒ by dicking around with my throttle to slow down the action, no chance (on a £22k bike) am I cramming in a washer or fitting a new throttle tube.
I ended up taking it to BSD performance UK (my old bike still top of their list @250bhp)
https://bsd.uk.com/bike/kawasaki-h2/
BSD went back into the ECU and looked at the throttle map. Everything ďthrottle by wireĒ was at 100% & derestricted as per Brockís H2 ECU flash info. It was mega aggressive from low RPM hence still remained like an an on/off switch.
I left the bike with Mark @ BSD for a week and he dropped onto it as a project in between jobs. Eventually he mapped the throttle to be much more usable in the real world (like when picking it up out of bends and having a predictable delivery rather than ďall or nothingĒ doom switch!) Heís used this info to set up several more H2ís since.
Iím in no way being negative about Brock, as I say, great guy, great company and will absolutely purchase from them again.
However, the part done by Guhl (the actual ECU Flash) in my case, other than derestriction/massive power, didnít help the throttle & was perhaps made worse by the PCV fuel map being initially wrong for the UK.
I hated the delivery as it had zero finesse & was so depressed I went to test a Panigale V4 (that was a massive disappointment as per my other post!)
Throttle can be genuinely improved though, my advice is let Brock check your fuel map, and then find someone to get the throttle mapped via the ECU
Totally agree Rich, proper way to "calm" the throttle is through the ECU

I had mine flashed at PCR, my remit was to calm the throttle down, I wanted it controllable, but not to loose its "character". I ride my H2 pretty much like my other bikes, I prefer the bends rather than ragging it up the straight all day long

Got to say, they did a cracking job

Rob

Adventure before Dementia
post #13 of 29 Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
first ride impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrob View Post
Totally agree Rich, proper way to "calm" the throttle is through the ECU

I had mine flashed at PCR, my remit was to calm the throttle down, I wanted it controllable, but not to loose its "character". I ride my H2 pretty much like my other bikes, I prefer the bends rather than ragging it up the straight all day long

Got to say, they did a cracking job

Rob

Hi Rob, heard some really good things about PCR, I think there are only a handful of tuners in the UK that can truly set up an H2 to a decent standard.
Iíll be interested to see how much Kawasaki have improved it on the 2019, apparently itís been sorted but will report when they finally deliver the fucka!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #14 of 29 Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamf1969 View Post
Hi Rob, heard some really good things about PCR, I think there are only a handful of tuners in the UK that can truly set up an H2 to a decent standard.
Iíll be interested to see how much Kawasaki have improved it on the 2019, apparently itís been sorted but will report when they finally deliver the fucka!

Rich
With the nature of the bike being forced induction, you expect an "immediate response" from the throttle, problem is, there is immediate and down right fooking silly, mine is just a bit daft now but very controllable

PCR have a good reputation on setting up the H2

Rob
Lamf1969 likes this.

Adventure before Dementia
post #15 of 29 Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
As far as the abrupt throttle, before I flashed it, I used a new throttle tube to mechanically reduce the throttle action. Now that I do my own flashing with the Woolich, I replaced the stock throttle tube and dialed in the off to on throttle and it is very rideable. I had also geared it up to make it more controllable, I am going to go back to stock gearing because now I want the acceleration and I can dial back the abruptness easily. And I gained RPM from the de-restriction and that should give me enough top speed.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmurphy84 View Post
chipmonk....it only gets goin 10k plus great vid hope you are enjoying the bike ride safe

Ya she really screams at 12k haha. This was my first ever ride on the bike. By the end of the vid i was pulling to around 12-13k. the one pull where i went by my friend in 3rd it started lifting pretty hard at 12k so i shifted to 4th. you cant really tell in the vid but it wanted to start coming up again in 4th.

Thanks for the tips on throttle taming everyone. I think the first thing I will do is stop by brocks and see if he can give me any insight. I would like to do some back road cornering but I don't know if i can keep it tamed enough for tight stuff with how the throttle is now... or maybe i just need to get acclimated to it.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage
My bike is a 2015, one of the first, also running a Brock's flash. Yes the throttle is snappy, it's partly emissions control I believe, almost no fuelling when the throttle is closed. This is why it's a bit like a switch either on or off and the bit around 3,000 rpm is best avoided too.

However I've persevered and I'm now used to it and can ride the bike smoothly. The other week I left my H2 with GT Motorcycles for it's annual service and they said I could use any of their demo' fleet to go home on. The new Kawasaki's weren't available as they were being registered for 1st March but I had the pick of the other makes including all the Ducati's. Since I've ridden most of them before, including the V4, I chose a Scrambler just for the experience of something different. Ok, it's totally different from the H2 and you might think I missed the extra 200 bhp but the thing I noticed most was having to wind the throttle round so far to get any response from the engine.

When I returned the Ducati that afternoon and rode home on my H2 I realised that I actually quite like an ultra-responsive throttle.
h2madness! likes this.

Go Fast Or Go Home
post #18 of 29 Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
I virtually cruise style now everywhere.I have my fun of course.But adding that washer for me was mainly for cruise control.It works great.I can ride quite a few miles without having to use my throttle hand to hold er steady.And it's totally funtional.I do have to physically roll the throttle off to slow up,but it's definitely nothing dangerous.Totally controllable.If God forbid she ever dropped while running,the down sensor would kill the motor anyway.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Which mode did you have it in for the first run?
post #20 of 29 Old 03-08-2019, 04:47 PM
ben

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They set mine at "L" when I bought it. After driving it for 10 miles, I changed it to "M", and maybe after 120 miles I changed it to full power. Being new to the bike I took a somewhat conservative, in my mind, approach. I still have full traction on the bike, don't see a reason to change that right now.
h2madness! likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page