Future H2 Transmission Gears recall? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawah2 View Post
I actually find the fasteners used on the H2 are of the worst quality of any bike i have worked on in 40 years!

Total cr*p!
Why?
TedG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The bolt heads are junk, the rubber grommets are junk, the plastic holders for the rubber grommets are junk, the rear seat pad locking mechanism is junk, aluminum coolant pipe on the right side is junk (metal is waaay too thin).

I have a substantial supply of fasteners in stock at home because of this , i have never had to do this for any other motorcycle!
11697 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawah2 View Post
The bolt heads are junk, the rubber grommets are junk, the plastic holders for the rubber grommets are junk, the rear seat pad locking mechanism is junk, aluminum coolant pipe on the right side is junk (metal is waaay too thin).

I have a substantial supply of fasteners in stock at home because of this , i have never had to do this for any other motorcycle!
So you are saying the bolt heads strip out? Do the grommets fall apart? Does the aluminum coolant pipe fail or dent?
I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know. I have read over and over that the build quality is outstanding. Are the bolts worse than other Kawasakis? What goes wrong with the grommets?
I am going to ask another question and don't take it wrong but what brand of tools are you using?
TedG is offline  
 
post #14 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
h2madness!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
interesting.All my fasteners work fine.No problems at all.
They're the same fasteners that Kawa has used on my 14's.No problems with those either.I imagine they're standard on virtually all their sportbikes?

Now...if they get replaced with the chinese ones you'll have stripping issues as well as the allens rounding off and so on.They will snap off if when tightening they begin to snug up as well.

Last edited by h2madness!; 03-06-2018 at 12:18 PM.
h2madness! is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
So you are saying the bolt heads strip out? Do the grommets fall apart? Does the aluminum coolant pipe fail or dent?
I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know. I have read over and over that the build quality is outstanding. Are the bolts worse than other Kawasakis? What goes wrong with the grommets?
I am going to ask another question and don't take it wrong but what brand of tools are you using?
The hex bolt heads after a few uses just round out and need replacing!

The rubber grommets just fall apart and need replacing.

The AL coolant pipe is so thin you could probably make it out of round with you hand! Perhaps that is why they make a Ti version!

Regular tools i have used for many years Home Depot, Lowes, i know its not snap-on but i am careful. I also torque to proper specs.
11697 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawah2 View Post
The hex bolt heads after a few uses just round out and need replacing!

The rubber grommets just fall apart and need replacing.

The AL coolant pipe is so thin you could probably make it out of round with you hand! Perhaps that is why they make a Ti version!

Regular tools i have used for many years Home Depot, Lowes, i know its not snap-on but i am careful. I also torque to proper specs.
Not Snap-on?? I am shocked. No wonder they strip out.
In all seriousness, I have found that the Kwak fasteners have performed admirably. The real problem is that they are not as deep as other fasteners (hex) to make their profile thinner and look better. But I do use Snap-on hex drivers and the edges stay sharp and grab. I have a few bikes covered with those fasteners and they are all perfect after many on off cycles.
TedG is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
h2madness!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
@kawah2 ...I think what you have are switched out chinese fasteners.They're very soft metal.Yes,they easily round out.I know what you're saying.The factory ones have never given me any problems.NONE.They're quality metal.You did say your bike was bought from a guy in CT,right?He probably put those on there to match the paint scheme...The factory ones are heavy and silver.Not light as a feather.
These are the same fasteners they use on all their bikes.I've got a 2013 14R...still using the original fasteners...and grommets.Still in excellent shape.

If your rubber parts are disintegrating,they probably were sprayed with something to 'protect' em.Make em easier to slide projections into and push into the panel tabs.Now they're falling apart.???I've seen this happen.Especially with petroleum products.Only need a bit of spit on those...they slide right in and come out without drama.

Last edited by h2madness!; 03-06-2018 at 03:10 PM.
h2madness! is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2madness! View Post
@kawah2 ...I think what you have are switched out chinese fasteners.They're very soft metal.Yes,they easily round out.I know what you're saying.The factory ones have never given me any problems.NONE.They're quality metal.You did say your bike was bought from a guy in CT,right?He probably put those on there to match the paint scheme...The factory ones are heavy and silver.Not light as a feather.
These are the same fasteners they use on all their bikes.I've got a 2013 14R...still using the original fasteners...and grommets.Still in excellent shape.

If your rubber parts are disintegrating,they probably were sprayed with something to 'protect' em.Make em easier to slide projections into and push into the panel tabs.Now they're falling apart.???I've seen this happen.Especially with petroleum products.Only need a bit of spit on those...they slide right in and come out without drama.
Both my H2's were brand new 2016's and both have given me the same issues.
11697 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
h2madness!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Oh...sorry to hear that.
h2madness! is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I have reported a gearbox issue on my new z900RS it is real clunky changing down from 6th to 5th and not great going up either.
all other gears are smooth as butter,,i thought i would wait until a few ks under the belt.3000ks and still the same if it still the same at 6000 service it will probably be striped and checked as it is not normal.
malh2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome