MCN journalist , Do you still own your H2 ? - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MCN journalist , Do you still own your H2 ?

I'm not a regular reader of MCN but as I'm on holiday I picked up a copy and noticed an image of "Neil Murray : used bike wheeler dealer" and recognise him as one of the four H2 owners along with myself and Bob C who were invited to give our views on the H2 at Kawasaki's UK headquarters .

He was the only owner who actually turned up on the H2 ( I took the piss and used my BMW 1200 ) . The three things I remember are your zip had already badly dulled the clear coat on the petrol tank . Along with me you hated the stupid indicator switch (Bob C thought it was fine , but remember Bob it's not that much of a problem for LSR ) and lastly you thought it was going to be a good investment.
On that note it's doing pretty well in the UK mainly due the the price hike to over 25K ! ( You Americans have no idea how lucky you are ) so it's already making the 22K 2015 price look errr reasonable .

Are you on this forum Neil Murray? Do you still own your H2 ? and if yes how many petrol tanks have you worn through with that cheese grater zip of yours ?

Last edited by Supercharged; 04-29-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Garage
That's a good question. Two in fact, whether he's (Neil Murray) on here and does he still own an H2. From what I recall he said he does a lot of motorcycle buying and selling.

I think it was about that time that I ordered the rubber tank pad for the ZZR1400 and fitted it to my H2. For the record it's done a superb job. Spot on comment about the indicator switch, not sure if it's all the texting which has given me a more flexible thumb, I do ride my H2 a bit on the roads but in any case I remove all that road-going junk for LSR.

It was odd that out of four H2 owners invited to Kawasaki's UK HQ only one of us arrived on one. I seem to remember that the owner of the BMW car painted in Kawasaki's Golden Blazed Green attracted the most attention. Supercharged's BMW and my modest little Porsche were overlooked. It was a long drive back to the West-country that night, at least that was my excuse
Supercharged likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=BobC;275273

It was odd that out of four H2 owners invited to Kawasaki's UK HQ only one of us arrived on one. I seem to remember that the owner of the BMW car painted in Kawasaki's Golden Blazed Green attracted the most attention)[/QUOTE]

I remember asking the Kawasaki H2s design team what bike or bikes ther owned and was a little disappointed that none of them owned a bike ! As Bob c says above they were more interested in the car , not that it stoped them from designing the most interesting bike to come out of Japan in years , must be in most people's top three Japanese road bikes of all time ? Classic classic classic written all over it .

post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I think he still has his H2

He wrote an article about residual H2 values in MCN a couple of months ago, quoting his bike and the H2 being a long term, not short term investment

Quite like his piece on the zzr1100 , rocket ship for 1k

Rob

Adventure before Dementia
post #5 of 11 Old 12-25-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reply to an ancient posting because I've hardly looked at this forum since joining. Mea Maxima Culpa. Anyway, yes, I still have it.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-25-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Older Gentleman View Post
Reply to an ancient posting because I've hardly looked at this forum since joining. Mea Maxima Culpa. Anyway, yes, I still have it.
How’s your petrol tank looking now ? It had already started to suffer from your jacket zip when I saw it in 2015 .
To save me finding your article on the H2 can you give us a FOC write up on this forum as penitence for your Mea Maxima Culpa.
My "money where my mouth is " tips for good investment bikes would be 1998 4XV in Red/White ,
1980 RD 350 LC two stripe Red/white and Blue/white , (coming up to 40 year anniversary so will have a short term boost ) ,
GS1000S 1979 Blue/white , Red /White .(doubled in price in the last few years )
2015 Kawasaki H2 (will start to climb in 2030 and take off in 2035 ) by which time senility or dementia may have overtaken me .

As for servicing your H2 I would have thought any Kawasaki dealer would be more than capable as the supercharger is the only component slightly out of the ordinary , the mechanic just need to be able to read a dial gauge.
Colchester Kawasaki are fine if a little out of your way .

Last edited by Supercharged; 12-25-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2019, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Garage
The only technician allowed to touch an H2 in a UK Kawasaki dealership is the nominated person who's been on the H2 course.

Go Fast Or Go Home
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2019, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
As for the 120 numbered Carbons made in 2017 I have the only one in my country. To me it's a bonus if further down the track I get most of my money back but doesn't bother me.

Depends on how you look at depreciation, food depreciates 100% in a very short time but have spent a good deal of my money on it with no residual value :-)

BTW I have had my 1991 C3 ZZR1100 since 1993, love it to bit's and is the one I take when riding a reasonable distance, comfort and power.
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-27-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tank? Oh, I stuck a protector on the tank some time after you saw it. I'm not bothered if the tank has a slight zip scuff, really.

The bikes you quote are already soaring in price so their investment potential is reduced, I'm afraid. The trick is to find bikes that aren't shooting up in value but will in the not-too-distant future. I'm buying air-cooled Kawasaki GPzs right now and earlier model CBR600s. I bought an immaculate 1993 one in the Fireblade RWB livery for £1200, traded it straight out to Steve Bateman Superbikes for £1450, and he's stuck it in his collection. But bog-basic Japanese two-strokes are what I'd be looking at as well.

Limited editions tend to be a marketing con. Different paint and a badge on the top yoke - useless. Unless the limited editions have worthwhile and very desirable additions or modification from the stocker, they're worth no more.

My own H2? I've put 4,000 miles on it so far - not a lot, but I own nine bikes so they don't all get ridden every day. The gearbox has run in nicely now so finding neutral isn't as bad as it was. It hasn't been cleaned since I bought it, but then it hasn't seen much rain and road muck. The fuel economy has improved a little, or maybe I'm just not using it as hard, but it's still appalling. It's been taken on Continental jaunts three times.

I stick to my assertion that it's (really!) a bloody awful motorcycle but it still has me giggling when I ride it and it still, on occasion, scares me shitless.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Older Gentleman View Post
Tank? Oh, I stuck a protector on the tank some time after you saw it. I'm not bothered if the tank has a slight zip scuff, really.

The bikes you quote are already soaring in price so their investment potential is reduced, I'm afraid. The trick is to find bikes that aren't shooting up in value but will in the not-too-distant future. I'm buying air-cooled Kawasaki GPzs right now and earlier model CBR600s. I bought an immaculate 1993 one in the Fireblade RWB livery for £1200, traded it straight out to Steve Bateman Superbikes for £1450, and he's stuck it in his collection. But bog-basic Japanese two-strokes are what I'd be looking at as well.

Limited editions tend to be a marketing con. Different paint and a badge on the top yoke - useless. Unless the limited editions have worthwhile and very desirable additions or modification from the stocker, they're worth no more.

My own H2? I've put 4,000 miles on it so far - not a lot, but I own nine bikes so they don't all get ridden every day. The gearbox has run in nicely now so finding neutral isn't as bad as it was. It hasn't been cleaned since I bought it, but then it hasn't seen much rain and road muck. The fuel economy has improved a little, or maybe I'm just not using it as hard, but it's still appalling. It's been taken on Continental jaunts three times.

I stick to my assertion that it's (really!) a bloody awful motorcycle but it still has me giggling when I ride it and it still, on occasion, scares me shitless.
Interesting, I wouldnít disagree with you about the GPZs especially the 1100 bruiser but percentage wise any GS1000, even the shafty G model will out perform the early CBR600s including the jellymould ones .
The power of the 1980s nostalgia buyer still has some way to go even if they are just being collected now rather than ridden .
Yamaha 5JJ and 5VY would be a better buy as they have not yet exploded like the 4XV . Despite the increases already made I believe that a UK original Red/white 4XV will continue to outperform any other bike for the next ten years as it just has everything going for it ie Top of the Range , Groundbreaking design, affordable in 1998 and would have been the poster bike of an entire generation that will potentially purchase their dream bike just like I did with my bedroom poster bike the Honda CBX , sadly the subject of my other poster continues to allude me ,Debbie Harry from Blondie .

Iíve seen some basic commuter bikes do well but they have to be in exceptional condition before they sell as few people are prepared to put big money into the restoration of "average" bikes . Relatively speaking it would cost a similar amount to fully restore say a Honda CD200 and a CB450 Black Bomber .
Buy an already rising Urban Tiger Fireblade , Red /White 4XV , NS400 , RS250 , KR1S RGV and you have a fair to good chance of outperforming any up and coming bikes , just look at any of the bikes listed five to seven years ago , I really donít think they will stop any time soon .

Yes I agree with you about the H2 but as you also are well aware of itís that bloody awfulness that makes it so bloody appealing .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page