60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 139 Old 01-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer172 View Post
I haven't had any handling problems and I've been taking high-speed turns at 160mph in the canyons and straight runs up to 190, so I don't think I have your problem, but I am interested in what nut you are talking about, is it that star-shaped nut that has about 12 points on it?
Racer172,

As you sit on the bike, the nut on the left side that attaches the rear wheel. Not sure about factory torque settings, they did it at the shop. There is a safety clip there as well, make sure it is set proper.

Rhody...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 139 Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update..

So my builder (who thought it was a suspension issue with too much rebound on the shock) ran the pictures buy his topdog and here’s what he had to say: the torque is causing the carcass of the tire to fold over on itself, this will continue to happen as I hit the track, probably won’t happen on the street unless I’m really pushing hard. The solution; when on the track use slicks. Easy fix as I was planning to go to slicks next track outing in Feb anyway. Have not yet shipped the tire to Dunlop so I’m yet to hear their opinion.

2016 Ninja H2 –Akropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Extreme Creations intercooler .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. Brembo full-floating disc rotors .. Brembo RC19 master cylinder .. SBS Racing brake pads .. Lightech gas cap ... ABS delete + custom brake lines
post #33 of 139 Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So my builder (who thought it was a suspension issue with too much rebound on the shock) ran the pictures buy his topdog and here’s what he had to say: the torque is causing the carcass of the tire to fold over on itself, this will continue to happen as I hit the track, probably won’t happen on the street unless I’m really pushing hard. The solution; when on the track use slicks. Easy fix as I was planning to go to slicks next track outing in Feb anyway. Have not yet shipped the tire to Dunlop so I’m yet to hear their opinion.
I know you verified rear psi through trusted sources but can't help but think 21 psi hot may be partly the reason for this. But that's what I was trying to describe; the tire was folding (at the sipes) so there wasn't uniform pressure put down at the contact patch, giving you that pattern of wear on the tire.
racer172 likes this.

post #34 of 139 Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRADALE View Post
I know you verified rear psi through trusted sources but can't help but think 21 psi hot may be partly the reason for this. But that's what I was trying to describe; the tire was folding (at the sipes) so there wasn't uniform pressure put down at the contact patch, giving you that pattern of wear on the tire.
yeah could be. No one has questioned the pressure in all the discussion that has gone on. I'm sure more air in the tire would prevent the tire from folding over, but that also makes the tire harder, changes the profile & contact patch, and you get sliding. In any case I'm going to slicks and we'll see where we're at.
STRADALE likes this.

2016 Ninja H2 –Akropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Extreme Creations intercooler .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. Brembo full-floating disc rotors .. Brembo RC19 master cylinder .. SBS Racing brake pads .. Lightech gas cap ... ABS delete + custom brake lines
post #35 of 139 Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
yeah could be. No one has questioned the pressure in all the discussion that has gone on. I'm sure more air in the tire would prevent the tire from folding over, but that also makes the tire harder, changes the profile & contact patch, and you get sliding. In any case I'm going to slicks and we'll see where we're at.
True but the size of the contact patch is also going to be affected be the weight/pressure down on the contact patch & the H2 is no lightweight compared to the bikes that this high performance, basically track/slick tire w/ sipes was probably designed for so was just speculating that 21 hot seems a little low for such a heavy bike. Who knows maybe it's a combination of all things: a low recommend psi tire + the higher weight of the bike + greater power + the 90 degree sipes. But it seemed obvious to me by the uniform wear pattern that the tire was folding at those areas. Traction control would never cut in & out over & over again at the exact same spots all the way around the tire. Not sure that a couple of psi would make a big difference & sounds like you're already talking w/ the best people that have a the most knowledge about these tires so maybe irrelevant but from their site: Dunlop GPA Pro Suggested Pressures: Hot on the warmers 23psi, cold 21psi.

Going through tires like mad & since it seems like I'm always changing tires anyway part of me wants to try a "better"/different tire (Pirelli Supercorsa) on my H2 but another part of me thinks since this wasn't a budget minded project Kawi probably selected the best tire for the bike & everything from harnessing the power to the ABS to the traction control, the suspension, etc was developed w/ the OEM RS10's. I'm probably going to give the Pirellis a shot anyway, have heard good things from other H2 owners.
racer172 likes this.
post #36 of 139 Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
The traction control on these bikes does leave a perfect pattern like that. We will know when he does another lap tc on and gets this again then follows it with a lap tc off. Only something very fast calculating electrical could do this. We shall see
racer172 likes this.
post #37 of 139 Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax+h2 View Post
The traction control on these bikes does leave a perfect pattern like that. We will know when he does another lap tc on and gets this again then follows it with a lap tc off. Only something very fast calculating electrical could do this. We shall see

I think it's what Racer172's builders "top-dog" said; the tire was folding at the contact patch.. And IMO it was doing so at each equally intervaled/spaced sipe where there is less rubber, allowing it to fold at each one of those spots all the way around the tire. Especially on the left side/first pic of thread you can see the equally spaced triangular shaped area, where there was less wear/less pressure put down on the contact patch,,, each spot is in the exact same place on the tire, just prior to each sipe, a universal pattern that would be impossible to create w/ traction control intervening in & out at different intervals and different tire speeds.....Besides which you would see the whole edge of the tire have some wear & those dark triangular spots (where there was no friction & the rubber didn't ball up at all) disappear during the times when traction control wasn't intervening if it wasn't due to folding.
racer172 likes this.

Last edited by STRADALE; 01-09-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #38 of 139 Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
^ you both make solid points. I can really buy into the the low psi considering the bike weight & power. I'm not sure if I will be recreating the situation with TC on/off with this tire because I plan to go to slicks, but if I see any strange wear patterns then I'll be flipping it on/off for sure.

post #39 of 139 Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
It may even be folding and tc. If that is happening even slightly at those points it will trigger intervention from tc. Very interesting. I'll keep watching for updates
racer172 likes this.
post #40 of 139 Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
update

So today I got the free replacement tire in from Dunlop, so cool.
Sending off the torched tire tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated on any info they share with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page