post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Close call

... of the cop variety.

A common bike route here comes to a junction with a traffic signal ... a car coming from the other direction turns right, I turn left and follow behind it. It is a 60 km/h zone.

The car is slow. The road goes up over a hill then down the other side. I hung back. We pass the 80 km/h sign. Oncoming traffic clears. The car in front doesn't speed up. We reach a passing zone. Mirror check - OK - I squirted past the car. I didn't bother downshifting. As we all know, the H2 doesn't take a whole lot of time to go from 60-ish to 120-ish km/h in top gear and that's 40-ish above the speed limit ... 50 over here will get your vehicle seized and drivers license suspended for a week on the spot and the cops don't cut any breaks on this.

Not a couple seconds later I check the mirror. The car I just passed is pulling onto the shoulder. The car that had caught up behind me was pulling onto the shoulder. And this was because the car behind that one was pulling onto the shoulder, and that one had red and blue flashing lights!

Only thing I can figure is that the cop clocked the car that caught up to us doing too much above the 60 km/h limit and probably never clocked the bike because that car was between the cop and myself.

Whew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2016, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
I hit about 287km/h and got scared. Shut it down to highway speed and saw the cop 5 seconds after that. I believe that's jail time if he spots me just 5 seconds sooner. Half the scares on the H2 are law enforcement scares and the other half are near death scares.

Ride your own ride
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Every time I've had a law enforcement scare, I'm glad the cop didn't see what I'd been doing not long before.

If that car in front hadn't been plodding along, I sure wouldn't have been doing 60 km/h there, either.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Garage
You had your guardian angel with you that day GoFaster.

I was at the Isle Of Man TT races some years ago and I'd held the bike at a steady 30mph all the way through Kirk Michael with a pack of other riders behind me, all of them ready for the charge as we hit the derestriction sign.

Unfortunately I opened it up about fifty yards early so they didn't get the drop on me and a policeman jumped out with his hand-held radar gun and his buddy waved me in. 78mph in a 30mph limit, I was really annoyed, since I'd been under the limit all the way through the village obeying the spirit of the law if not the letter, it cost me a hefty fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
You had your guardian angel with you that day GoFaster.

I was at the Isle Of Man TT races some years ago and I'd held the bike at a steady 30mph all the way through Kirk Michael with a pack of other riders behind me, all of them ready for the charge as we hit the derestriction sign.
Unlucky there Bob. I had the same thing happen to me a few years back, but i was coming out of Ramsey, and there was a speed trap just before the hairpin, still in the the 30mph zone.

I got nicked for doing 50, as i accelerated a bit to soon..bugger.

However, my mate got nicked coming off the mountain where it goes from derestricted to 40mph. He was clocked doing 140mph.

It was touch and go that he'd go to jail on the island. but he was lucky to get away with a £1500 fine and £1500 solicitor costs.

By the way, one of my mates clocked 189mph on his H2 over the mountain this year...cool.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Its the buzz of overtaking traffic or pulling out of a corner and getting on the gas thats where the risk lies .these things just you twist the throttle im sure there are little demons embedded into the bike .
post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope View Post

By the way, one of my mates clocked 189mph on his H2 over the mountain this year...cool.
Did your mate know that the H2 speedo only reads up to 189?

Even with an ECU flash 189 is all it will read, software in the dashboard according to Don Guhl.

Your mate may have been going faster !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page