5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-17-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best tank protector?

Everyone, any recommendation for a good quality tank protector to install on the H2? I am looking for one to cover the part of the tank right in front of the seat, to avoid scratching the tank too badly with my jacket and/or pants.

Thanks,

Frio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-17-2016, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
IMO stomp grip makes the best center tank pads. I also have their side tank grip panels which protect the paint but also help your legs grip the sides of the tank. My tank is covered in expel film and attached the stomp grip pads on top of the film w/ zero lifting. I'm not a fan of the bright colors or cartoony graphics of some tank pads, like it to look more in line with the high quality, seriousness of the machine.

Pics in this thread if you're interested:
https://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h...tml#post117082

Last edited by STRADALE; 04-17-2016 at 04:21 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-17-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
My tank has no protection whatsoever except wax polish and still looks like brand new , I do however always wear a microflece top when on the H2 so I'm cleaning it as I ride ( this is a serious answer ) .
I have been riding bikes since the norm was jeans and a tissue paper thin jacket popping wheelies on my Yamaha 250 LC on L plates ( USA info , L plate ( learner ) has to be displayed if full licence has not been attained ) so right or wrong i feel very comfortable riding without having to look like a superhero .
I am still amazed at the lack of bikes on the road on very hot days in the UK due to riders complaining " it's too hot! " and are unprepared to venture out without full leathers , a summers ride in a T shirt is a joy but newer motorcyclist look at you thinking " **** , tosser , idiot ect .
I have raced bikes in the Yamaha RD 350 "headbanger "class and crashed hard many times ending up in the Norfolk & Norwich twice after highsiding and worn right through my leathers after some lowside slides that went on forever so I know the benefits of good leathers but for me the " risk v reward " of an off the pace road ride is firmly on the reward side .
I hired a Harly in the U.S. and crossed California Nevada and Arizona and noticed a far more relaxed attitude in America than the in my opinion "safety obsessed" UK rider seem to have acquired in the last twenty or more years .

post #4 of 19 Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Garage
Not sure I understand - So you wear a "micro fleece" t shirt every time you ride instead of a tank protector to protect the paint on your tank? What do you do when it's cold?

I've seen some guys thinking their cars, bikes looked brand new where to me especially in the sun a BADLY needed detail was in order. Simple fact even if there's not deep clear coat scratches, clear coat gets micro scratching, swirls even if you're obsessive about cleaning like myself and with a sport bike where your jeans or leathers or your microfleece shirt are constantly resting, rubbing against the tank it's going to get micro scratching, swirls at a bare minimum. Anything you rub against the paint dry/without lots of sudsy car wash shampoo is moving dust, dirt around on the clear coat therefore it may look like its "cleaning" it but in the process it is only hurting the paint & over time it's going to need smoothing out by polishing down a slight layer of the clear coat to get those scratches flat, to bring back a smooth, deep surface, there's just no way around it. Black cars, bikes are tough but the H2s reflective mirror finish is unforgiving.

I wear protective leather jackets every time I'm on the H2. Dainese perforated during the hot months, non perf in the cool & w/ a zip in liner in the cold. I ride whether it's 40 degrees like late last night where I rode home from New Britain CT to Long Island or if it's 90 degrees, in those conditions and in between w/ the right gear for me it's never too uncomfortable to ride w/ at minimum a leather jacket w/ armor.

I'm 48 yrs old. When in my late teens, early 20's very young and dumb I used to ride in T shirts and when living in CT even used to ride without a helmet but wouldn't do that now, I've seen too many things happen and it's not just about me anymore, have family, responsibilities etc. And we are talking about the H2 where 100mph feels like cruising. Anyone who thinks I look like a "super hero"/stupid because I'm wearing the right gear for the sport is not really anyone that has an opinion that matters to me. It's not just the "newer motorcyclists that look at guys and think idiot" for riding a bike like the H2 in a t shirt my experience it's the experienced riders that have seen it, done it, that feel that way.

Please be careful.
SPRAT33 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Get it wrapped its the only way to protect it.Had mine done in 3m,the 3M guys in Australia have a template of my H2 which with a good installer will protect your bike.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Mine had a Gyeon Quartz coating. Never got the chance to test it

2018 Ninja H2SXSE, 2006 GSXR750, 1997 GPZ500S
post #7 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Garage
I fitted the pad from the ZX14R. One year on and no scratches.

Last edited by BobC; 08-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Garage
Sorry OT but a photographer at the event I was at Saturday in New Britain CT just sent us some pics, thought he did a good job:

ZiG 9th likes this.

Last edited by STRADALE; 04-18-2016 at 10:09 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRADALE View Post
Not sure I understand - So you wear a "micro fleece" t shirt every time you ride instead of a tank protector to protect the paint on your tank? What do you do when it's cold?

I've seen some guys thinking their cars, bikes looked brand new where to me especially in the sun a BADLY needed detail was in order. Simple fact even if there's not deep clear coat scratches, clear coat gets micro scratching, swirls even if you're obsessive about cleaning like myself and with a sport bike where your jeans or leathers or your microfleece shirt are constantly resting, rubbing against the tank it's going to get micro scratching, swirls at a bare minimum. Anything you rub against the paint dry/without lots of sudsy car wash shampoo is moving dust, dirt around on the clear coat therefore it may look like its "cleaning" it but in the process it is only hurting the paint & over time it's going to need smoothing out by polishing down a slight layer of the clear coat to get those scratches flat, to bring back a smooth, deep surface, there's just no way around it. Black cars, bikes are tough but the H2s reflective mirror finish is unforgiving.

I wear protective leather jackets every time I'm on the H2. Dainese perforated during the hot months, non perf in the cool & w/ a zip in liner in the cold. I ride whether it's 40 degrees like late last night where I rode home from New Britain CT to Long Island or if it's 90 degrees, in those conditions and in between w/ the right gear for me it's never too uncomfortable to ride w/ at minimum a leather jacket w/ armor.

I'm 48 yrs old. When in my late teens, early 20's very young and dumb I used to ride in T shirts and when living in CT even used to ride without a helmet but wouldn't do that now, I've seen too many things happen and it's not just about me anymore, have family, responsibilities etc. And we are talking about the H2 where 100mph feels like cruising. Anyone who thinks I look like a "super hero"/stupid because I'm wearing the right gear for the sport is not really anyone that has an opinion that matters to me. It's not just the "newer motorcyclists that look at guys and think idiot" for riding a bike like the H2 in a t shirt my experience it's the experienced riders that have seen it, done it, that feel that way.

Please be careful.
Ok so the " polish it as I ride " quip was tongue in cheek but yes i do always ride my H2 with a micro fibre sweatshirt to protect the paintwork and you will have to take my word for it but it does still look like new either in sunlight ,shade or under fluorescent light ( only a thousand miles on it though )
Well I was young dumb and full of cum but now I'm old dumb and full of dust but I'm at ease riding without protection, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong it's just my opinion . The super hero comment was really aimed at the " all the gear no idea " types that i see at every bike meeting with speed hump leathers with knee sliders that remain unscathed from day one with Chicken strips so wide on the side of their tyres they look like KFC adverts . I have lost count at the number of times I have come up behind them only to see them start dancing about on the sadle waving knees about but with a lean angle so upright I'm looking for a sidecar .

Leathers do save a lot of pain but mostly in the event of a hard impact just make it easer for the road accident clean up crew that unzip the bag of mush and pour you into a bucket . Oh the joy of a weeping road rash that by the morning had to be pealed from a furry 1980s blanket to reveal a pink (don't ask ) or tartan coloured scab that could be displayed with pride down the pub like a ten year old with a plaster (band aid ?).
STRADALE and Redshift like this.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
hi Supercharged,
did you have ceramic pro installed on your bike?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page