5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-07-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Scratches on the tank

When I got the H2, I put on a tank protector (pro grip) before I even sat down on it. After a 100 miles or so, there were still some visible marks right next to the protector on the left side, just above the seat. Not sure how it happened, must have just been the way my jacket was touching the tank.

However I was able to clean it up with a 3M scratch remover kit I had lying around (3M 39071). I of course skipped the wet sanding step (eek!), but just used the buffing pads on a drill with the two successive polishing compounds that come with it. Looks pretty much like new again.
shotgun15 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter3d View Post
When I got the H2, I put on a tank protector (pro grip) before I even sat down on it. After a 100 miles or so, there were still some visible marks right next to the protector on the left side, just above the seat. Not sure how it happened, must have just been the way my jacket was touching the tank.

However I was able to clean it up with a 3M scratch remover kit I had lying around (3M 39071). I of course skipped the wet sanding step (eek!), but just used the buffing pads on a drill with the two successive polishing compounds that come with it. Looks pretty much like new again.

Yeah this is going to suck for sure......I love the finish but just cleaning her I've put scratches in her. And the weather blows so bad I've only ridden her 8 miles! I would like to 3M her but who knows....
SilverbirdH2 likes this.

2009 Monster Energy ZX14
2011 ZX10R Full Ohlines, BST CF Wheels
2013 Kawasaki ZX636 Track Weapon
2015 H2 Full Custom Akrpovic & BST CF Wheels
2019 Ducati V4 Panigale Speciale on Order
2017 Ducati 1299S Anniversairo
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2017 Husqvarna FE501 Super Moto
1985 Yamaha FZ750
2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
post #3 of 13 Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It's really not much worse black. I have black B-King every time I clean it gets light scratches on it. Meguires scratch and swirl remover lightly by hand with a micro fiber towel
Followed up with wax. Good as new. I wouldn't use drill or buffer unless it's real bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	2345  
SilverbirdH2 likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i bespoke the satin wrap on this H2 to protect the paint and give it a sinister look. any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	8650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	8658  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Hmmm...looks okay.I just can't cover this beautiful paint.Meguiar's really does work well.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbirdH2 View Post
Hmmm...looks okay.I just can't cover this beautiful paint.Meguiar's really does work well.
3M pro wrap takes nothing away from the look of the paint and the result is purely up to the skill of the installer.If my bike wasnt wrapped it would be scratched to the shithouse.Dr Beasleys or Meguires not cutting it.If yiu want your bike to stay pristine get it wrapped.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malh2 View Post
3M pro wrap takes nothing away from the look of the paint and the result is purely up to the skill of the installer.If my bike wasnt wrapped it would be scratched to the shithouse.Dr Beasleys or Meguires not cutting it.If yiu want your bike to stay pristine get it wrapped.
100% regarding the look and especially skill of the installer. There's one part of my bike that doesn't have Expel and would be willing to bet any H2 owner a $1000 that in person in under 5 minutes they couldn't pick it out from the rest that's covered. Except for around the Kawasaki emblem on the tank on my bike you literally cannot see there's any difference to the look whatsoever in any lighting condition and I'm OCD w/ my vehicles. On the day of my Expel install, I came back to the shop and they were half done but examining the bike I was unable to tell how far they got and that was under very bright fluorescent light. Installed it on the H2s headlight too which will help prevent small chips.

It's done an incredible job protecting all the sports cars I've owned/own too for the last dozen or so years. Before on my sports cars behind each wheel, on the inside of the wheel well I'd get rashed paint from sand & stones plus small chips in the front bumper, hood no matter how carefully I drove, trying to stay away from driving behind trucks, etc...... I believe it's even more undetectable on the H2s mirror finish than on my black & red cars or white SUV that I also have it installed.

It's also great piece of mind and a huge plus is how much easier it is to upkeep the H2, on the film I don't hesitate using a micro fiber and detailing spray on a very lightly dusty bike (it doesn't leave micro scratching) that's usually a no no on this paint, if it's not covered just use an LED flashlight and take a close look. Expel is also self healing, if it does get scratched (which is difficult to do) it will self heal from sitting in the sun or just rub it, even a hair dryer works. I watched a kind of impromptu demo of this in person at my shop Detailing Dynamics, a guy JUST got his new Z06 covered and my installer (owner of the shop) wanted to show me the new self healing tech on the Expel, he took a wire brush to the front fender, thought the Z06 owner was going to have a freakin heart attack. Installer used a heat gun for a few seconds and then wiped it w/ a dry micro fiber and the scratches disappeared. The best time to do though is as close to day 1 as possible. Even if you have mileage though the paint will be protected from further micro scratching, chips. It's not indestructible, get hit w/ a large enough object and it's possible it can tear the film and damage your paint but it won't be as bad as not having it. It does protect from the vast majority of road chips you'll see and makes it easier to clean. But can't emphasize enough about the WHO w/ the install, it's even more important than the version/manufacturer of protective film used.
SilverbirdH2 and Flipr like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
^How much did they charge you? Did you do the whole bike? I am already looking at doing this lol.

2016 Ninja H2 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest. 1/4 - 7.901 at 181mph - 233.6mph in 1 mile. CMP Built Motor, Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, R&G Undertail
post #9 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
The Xpel is brilliant.I bought enough to do the most easy to scuff,scratch parts,(tank sides,top,some of the front),I'm going to buy enough to cover the rest of it soon.
Installed properly,like Stradale has said,you can not tell where it is.The paint still flips and reflects the same.You cannot tell unless you point it out to people.I use normal soft rags with no issues at all.Micro-fibers for the uncovered areas.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-19-2015, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted10R View Post
^How much did they charge you? Did you do the whole bike? I am already looking at doing this lol.
The entire front cowl, side fairings, entire tank, front fender. The top of the cowl and side fairings were done in one piece so there's no edges/seams. It was $500 which may sound like a lot but they're literally the best around, they get exotic cars shipped to them from all over the country plus the shop has a 1-2 month backlog and if I wasn't very friendly w/ the owners I wouldn't have been able to just roll the bike in the day after I picked it up and to them such a small job was more of a favor. People now not just covering the front number, hood, the material has gotten so good they're wrapping the entire car in Expel, front to back, top to bottom. The LaFerrari was there for a full Expel clear film wrap. I was concerned it wouldn't look right over the H2s green decals but it sits entirely flat, they are skilled. Not a single bubble or crease in the material. I installed the stompgrip right on top of the film & they hold solid. Some pics from that day along w/ just some of the rides they were doing at the time. All H2 shots are after film was installed but before it was wiped down.

Last edited by STRADALE; 11-19-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page