12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hard or recommended break in?

I was just wondering how others are planning to break in their H2SX.
When I bought my 2013 ZX-6R, I did hard break in and the condition of the bike was perfect til the day I traded the bike in for 2015 Ninja1000. Now that I'm trading in my 1000 for SX SE, I'm kind of leaning toward manufacturer's recommended break in since the price of the bike is about twice as much and I wanna make sure not to void the warranty on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
I use a progressive break-in avoiding short runs. Gradually increase throttle and revs. The worst thing is to creep around for 600 miles and then give it full throttle. The word on modern engines is that they are good to go after a few heat cycles. It's worth remembering that the initial gentle ride is also to check that everything is screwed together properly, to scrub in tyres and so on.
h2madness! and Thunderdawg like this.

Go Fast Or Go Home
post #3 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
I rode my H2 for the first 200 miles pretty steady and to the book, after that thought fook it, took it all though the rev range without being stupid

Rob
h2madness! likes this.

Adventure before Dementia

post #4 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
Take is easy the first 200 miles. In other words don't stress the engine hard.
1) Cycle the engine gently accelerate, then back off. Do this over and over again as much as possible.
2) Keep it low RPM say under 4k for the first 50 or so.
3) After the first 50, gentle acceleration but let it rev up occasionally.
4) Never hold one RPM, always cycle the engine speed.
5) Some say within the first 20 miles (make sure you warm up the engine) to accelerate a few times pretty hard. Loading the rings is not a bad idea. Just don't over do it. After the first 20, then be a bit more gentle.
The heat cycling helps the rings maintain their temper(does not create the temper), very important for the first 50, just don't load the engine too hard (no prolonged hard acceleration), let any imperfections wear themselves in.
A little patience helps the engine live a long and happy life.

Oh you could break it in hard and risk the rings not tempering correctly, or risk an imperfection to overheat and cause a seizure that will grow over time and one day cause a catastrophic failure. Maybe it would be fine but why risk it? There is absolutely ZERO evidence that a hard break in helps the engine in any way. Where there are thousands of examples where a hard break in caused a failure, or turned a bike into an "Oil burner".
Just the humble opinion of someone who worked as a motorcycle mechanic (factory trained Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph, etc) and has seen what a poor break in can do.
Creepy847 likes this.

Last edited by TedG; 02-28-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info, very informative?
How about the oil change? Kawasaki Japan recommends first oil change at 1000km, but when I applied hard break in on 6R, I remember doing couple extra oil change before reaching 1000km(I remember seeing tons of metal particles on the first change).
Since I won't be going that hard this time around, maybe I'll do the first oil change at 500 km.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
It never hurts to do an extra oil change in the break in period. Probably un-necessary, but can't hurt. But even if you do an extra one, make sure you do one at the suggested interval. The reason for that is the MFG figures that parts will be breaking in and shed material for that first interval. So be sure to get it out. You shouldn't see tons of metal particles. Broken in properly, the particles should be almost invisible. If you see lots, something got beat up more than it should have. That is another side effect of a hard break in.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think ill just drain the oil filter in in a 10um filter then into 1um and put it back in, i think I have both laying around.

Ninja 1000 (2011-2018/sold)
Ninja H2SX SE
supercharged.ninja
post #8 of 20 Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
I think I'll follow the mfg's schedule,and change oil and filter when recommended.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2madness! View Post
I think I'll follow the mfg's schedule,and change oil and filter when recommended.
That's what I do. Although my H2 is having it's third annual service this week at just 2,300 miles.

After the first 600 or so most of these miles have been up and down runways. It's also on it's third rear Bridgestone and has had many safety checks by the scrutineering team at LSR meetings as well as those done by me.
h2madness! likes this.

Go Fast Or Go Home
post #10 of 20 Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
13K miles on mine...now going on 4th set of buns.

I cheated a bit with my break-in.Within 20 miles I was takin her on up.After that,some heat cycles and running through the rev range.Oil change at 200 mi.She runs strong and smooth.IDK.Mine seems fine.I suspect that break-in schedule is really for an owner that doesn't quite feel okay with the bike.I can see that.Kawasaki sportbikes can be a handful if one's not used to riding one.
H2015 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page