Hard or recommended break in? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Dont think it matters that much. I understand manual has part in it dedicated on how to run in. But thats like covering themselves if anything goes bang. Ive had a few new bikes and played with them all and im of the understanding they are pretty well made nowadays that really it would take some severe sustained throttle to kill a new engine. Ive had to break or run in a few tuned car engines but they were ran in on mineral oil longgggh ago then it was swapped out for sythetic after load a miles with no high or sustained stress on engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any reason you guys aren't following Kawasaki recommendations? They made the H2 you think they would know how to break it in. You know with them being engineers and all duh!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I personally don’t understand why this question gets asked. I break in per Kawasaki recommendation what’s the big hurry?

post #14 of 20 Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
"5) Some say within the first 20 miles (make sure you warm up the engine) to accelerate a few times pretty hard. Loading the rings is not a bad idea."

I have a nice LONG downhill two lane just about a mile from where I live.Within the first 20 miles I always take my new bikes and start at the top,open her up firmly but gently to about 8-9K rpms,then shut the throttle and let her engine brake down through the gears and such.I do this about 4-5 times.Each time increasing the rpms by about 1k.Then just cruise and accelerate briskly during the first 100 or so miles.At around 150 miles I'll change the oil and run her on up to about 10,11K a few times and back down.Using brisk but smooth throttle applications.After a day or so of this,I change oil again and basically,that's it.Up and down the rev range increasing rpms each time.Within about 4 days she's at 600 something miles.Then it's ride her like she's broken in.Never had any engine issues doing it like this.Plenty of power.

I think the worst thing one could probably do at the beginning is drive in too low rpm ranges.That's what I've read and it makes sense.Give er the gas,but just don't ask too much at the first.Gotta feel the motor working it's way to glory!They run these motors up to the limiter on a dyno before ever clearing em for sale.That's what that bar code is.YOUR motor info,in case something happens.

Last edited by h2madness!; 04-22-2019 at 02:39 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-23-2019, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
First day I rode my to home 550 miles away. It was about 50 miles on the flat to the first set of hills of around 30 miles then undulating road for the next 200. After that it was another 220 very flat road, then again undulating road to home. Never took it above 4k for the first 200 then up to about 5k for short bursts often. My H2 never freed up until at least 1500 miles and just got more and more lively to 3000 miles and has run sweet since.

Yep, hard break in, do some 1/4 mile drags, change the engine for the next meeting, hard break in again and on it goes or are you guys talking about leaving the engine in the bike for decades?
h2madness! likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 AM

"My H2 never freed up until at least 1500 miles and just got more and more lively to 3000 miles and has run sweet since."

Yep.Bout the same story here with the motor opening up.I mentioned this on another forum.Got a heckler's welcome.There's more to breaking this in than 'just miles'.I didn't hit redline but one time during the later breakin time.I did however take her up pretty close several times closer to the beginning of break-in.And stayed away from cruising at the same rpms.Even if I changed it to 500 more rpms,I did this continuously for the first 200 or so miles.Ride at say 1500 rpms for a minute or so.Then increase to say 2K for a couple of minutes.Then on up to 3000 and so on.Mine runs like a sewing machine.And of course some upper rpm runs for 10-15 seconds and back down to another set of rpms.Always changing the rpms.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-29-2019, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Are you guys aware that Kawasaki specifies the exact same break-in procedure for every bike they make?
Seems strange to me that optimum break-in procedure for a 125cc dirtbike and the industry's 1st and only blown Liter bike is exactly the same.
I'm just saying....
h2madness! and enzo200500 like this.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Not strange at all, the technology is more than a century old, pistons still go up and down and crankshafts still rotate. The issues are still the same, slow break in because it's not cost effective at the factory to hand lap in every moving part that has contact with another.

Those guys that recommend a hard break in don't own the machine that has done 100k mikes where that scuff on the bearing comes back to bite $$$$. They are all about now, don't care about later. Yes the engines can take it at the time but later, they don't care, works for them and because they initially have no trouble. I would never buy a demo bike.
Even the gaskets settle through thermal cycling which initially has to be controlled. There are so many factors involved, pity we don't have a KHI design Engineer here to put a lot of the BS to bed.
D.Kinsey likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Explain 'hard break-in'...lol.I'm thinkin since they're ALL the same procedure,it's got more to do with rider safety than anything else.They dyno every bike all the way up to get top HP readings before it leaves the factory.Right off the production line.They don't seem to be concerned with metal chips and stuff scoring their new babies.A wide ranging rpm break-in is a must for these engines.That doesn't (to me)mean hammering it wide open everywhere...no way.But a sensible brisk amount of throttling is probably the best way...IMO.These bikes are dangerous in the inexperienced hands.Lots of those out there.1K miles to get used to a bike like this if one's never had one?Makes sense to me.That goes by pretty quickly.These motors are made to rip.And do it smoothly,in all rpms.
enzo200500 and 12cramster like this.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Or possibly even keeping warranty claims down to a minimum. I basically agree with your take on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2madness! View Post
Explain 'hard break-in'...lol.I'm thinkin since they're ALL the same procedure,it's got more to do with rider safety than anything else.They dyno every bike all the way up to get top HP readings before it leaves the factory.Right off the production line.They don't seem to be concerned with metal chips and stuff scoring their new babies.A wide ranging rpm break-in is a must for these engines.That doesn't (to me)mean hammering it wide open everywhere...no way.But a sensible brisk amount of throttling is probably the best way...IMO.These bikes are dangerous in the inexperienced hands.Lots of those out there.1K miles to get used to a bike like this if one's never had one?Makes sense to me.That goes by pretty quickly.These motors are made to rip.And do it smoothly,in all rpms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page