Any one care to share experiences with a long trip on this bike - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 Old 08-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I would be leaving in late August or early September from Utah/Colorado back to Florida. I am very familiar with the weather there and it's predictable that it's unpredictable. Good advice on the lodging, that is along the lines I was thinking. Also 350 miles a day makes sense and allows for rides with maybe 2 rest breaks (lunch) at a leisurely pace. What gloves did you use? I'm not crazy about the ones I have currently and don't think they would be good for long distances. Also curious on your mpg if you kept track of it. I will likely fill up every 175 miles and am hoping for 40-45 mpg. Not sure how accurate the bike's computer read out is on that. In 6th at 65-70 it seems to indicate 45-50 mpg. I will likely be doing a lot of desert riding, just due to the fact that my first stop will be Tucson to visit my daughter. From there to Utah/Colorado is serious desert. Were you monitoring the weather each day before you ride?
That would be the ideal perfect time frame for motorcycle ride, cooling off but still warm, kids in school etc.

I prefer thinner leather gloves that give me feel and feedback, with extra leather protection in the palms and hard shell over the knuckles over gloves that are thick, insulating and warm. I have a problem finding gloves I really like, it's a personal thing and I obsess probably too much. As such they are not all weather wet gloves, so I carried two pair. The wet weather pair were basic Acerbis motocross gloves, and I just accept riding with wet hands until it's over, then switch back to my primary gloves which are Klim Induction Perforated Leather. That strategy only works because as you know we have short duration very wet storms, not usually the continuous long duration uninterrupted rain like you could experience in Florida. It dries out quickly in Colorado and Utah, so the MSR Racing GoreTex ISDE jacket and pants (no longer made) I cherish because the cordura shell is kevlar reinforced, thin shell with liner and ventilation zippers. The shell will get soaked but the liner keeps dry, and the whole thing dries quickly in the arid climates and high desert, mountain tundra. A fleece neck warmer is indispensable. It's the seal around my neck that goes on and off according to my body temperature, and everything else can pretty much stay on for the whole ride. I have studied the adventure riding suits but *so far* don't like their bulk. Riding gear is a never ending journey, the goal is to find new replacements for the old stuff you liked before it's worn out.

I tracked every tank the old fashioned way, divided the fuel I purchased into the miles I rode, I never looked at the mileage computer. Most tanks were around 45 mpg, the worst I remember was 40, could have been a 38 in there possibly, and best was several instances of 48. If I wasn't riding for sport, I tried to keep the RPM low, used cruise control lots, and I usually went about 125-130 miles between fills, usually took less than 3 gallons, was careful because I understood for hard riding the SX SE could be thirsty, didn't want to run out of fuel, but never came close. I have had tanks of 180 miles or so in familiar local surroundings. But...on the road from Florida, I suspect you will get worse mileage due to denser air. When you get out to Colorado/Utah it will improve as engine is making less power.

And yes, I was monitoring the weather each day with Pinpoint Weather App and Accuweather. This only mattered as an advisory starting out each morning. What I didn't want to be doing was stopping to put stuff on or take it off, didn't have the bags that you will. So even though I had a separate rainsuit, I only used it once and could have done without it altogether with the MSR GoreTex. There were a couple of really hot days in Utah where I rode without the jacket.

I envy your trip. I know exactly the roads you will be riding in both Colorado and Utah, they are my favorites.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/400...leather-gloves

Red Mountain Pass, Ouray Colorado
ben likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page