• 2 Post By zxrob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Willow Springs Raceway Feb 9-10 Pics and Thoughts

Once again, given my continued frustrations with capturing my own footage, CaliPhotography has come to the rescue with some excellent stills. I had mounted a GoPro 360 on a Gecko Stealth as far forward on the tank as possible, went out for my first session, pulled in after 1 lap and took off the mount. I'm going to try a horizontal extension next time to make sure the camera itself won't intrude with my tuck, and see if the mount has a low enough profile to not bother me.

Ok, on to the track day. This is my second ever time riding the H2R and the first ever at Big Willow. Based on my first impressions at Auto Club Speedway, I wanted to work on my suspension settings to eliminate that nasty head shake I had while accelerating down Fontana's back straight, and reprogram my ECU's throttle map to smooth out its on/off transition. For the former, I softened up the front end damping a couple clicks but, due to poor planning on my part, I ran out of time to get my ECU flashed. It's now in the hands of a tuner as I write this, but I had to suck it up and continue to deal with a hair-trigger throttle this time around.

As expected, my experience at WSR was far, far better than Auto Club. This fast, flowing track is exactly what the H2R was built for although the conditions weren't ideal. It was cold and windy with a chance of rain at any time, and the track was recently sealed (ie, painted) with only one weekend's-worth of cars to wear in some grip on the racing line. In fact, I had a puckering 10-foot front end slide going into Turn 9 as a friendly reminder pay attention. Even with these dismal conditions the chassis felt great. I had no uncontrollable head shakes and the bike inspired confidence everywhere in the corners. Even the throttle was easier to manage (although it still desperately needs to be smoothed out) compared to Auto Club.

I've done Willow with a number of different bikes, but the H2R flipped reality on its head here. The corners were a place to relax while the straights required maximum focus and effort. Every twist to full throttle unleashed such pure, unadulterated violence that I struggled to keep things in line. What normally felt like a very large, expansive racetrack on my past bikes now felt compressed and short with corners approaching way-too-quickly. Seriously, I think I saw Jesus so many times that I started using him as a brake marker. I have to tip my hat to Kawasaki. This animal is the most incredible piece of engineering I have ever experienced, and I am forever grateful they had the balls to produce it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Group-11am (Turn 3)-WS_87864_Feb0919_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24851   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Group-12pm (Turn 5)-WS_89942_Feb0919_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	24853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Around the Pits - BW2_2448_Feb1019_CaliPhoto.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	24855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5888.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	24857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5893.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	24859  

zxrob, africantiger and D.Kinsey like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
That’s an amazing post
Super descriptive and makes you feel like we are there with you.
Congrats on the bike it’s a work of art
And congrats on the experience on the track

So you only flashed and tuned the h2r?
What number did you get?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richarddps19 View Post
Thatís an amazing post
Super descriptive and makes you feel like we are there with you.
Congrats on the bike itís a work of art
And congrats on the experience on the track
Thank you!

Quote:
So you only flashed and tuned the h2r?
What number did you get?
The flash I'm having done is a custom throttle position mapping to smooth out its on/off transition. It's the same mapping Racer172 has helped develop with many laps on his H2. The only other modification I have done to my bike is a set of Sato GP-pattern rearsets.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Nice pics

2016 Ninja H2 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest. 1/4 - 7.901 at 181mph - 233.6mph in 1 mile. CMP Built Motor, Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, R&G Undertail
post #5 of 6 Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
If I lived within 1/2 an hour drive, or less of a racetrack like Willow Springs, I would have purchased an H2R. Gorgeous track, great pics, thanks for the post, great read

R.I.P - Ride/Race/Rest/Relax In Peace
2018 H2 Carbon Canuc from Canada
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2RLA View Post
Seriously, I think I saw Jesus so many times that I started using him as a brake marker.

I have to tip my hat to Kawasaki. This animal is the most incredible piece of engineering I have ever experienced, and I am forever grateful they had the balls to produce it.

Love these two sentences ^^^^

Rob
H2015 and H2RLA like this.

Adventure before Dementia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page