Mea Culpa - Top End Damage! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that Don, bad way to end a fun couple of days at the Island.
Curious, what sort of lap times/top speeds were you seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2015 View Post
set at 11 ft/lbs with non-permanent loctite as instructed.
I would guess that if the bolt backed-out then replacing with new bolts wouldn't have made much difference, torque or loctite has to be the problem and if you assume that the torque settings in the manual is correct then I would suggest using a permanent Loctite instead.

Loctite 263 is "permanent" but can still be undone, its oil tolerant and works at high operating temperatures.

It will still hold more 60% strength at your highest oil temperatures and in the unlikely event that you ever need to undo those bolts you can put a pencil flame on the bolt before undoing it. Apply the loctite, torque them up and leave for 24 hours before doing anything with them.

TDS
https://tdsna.henkel.com/americas/na/adhesives/hnauttds.nsf/web/382795AAF2B4355B8525760E004BEA0A/$File/263-EN.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello mate!

Didn't get lap times, though I'm not fast anyway. Difference with the H2 this time though is I felt much better on it. It responded so nicely, I could concentrate on the track more. Won't stop me from going back to P.I., still think it's a better track than Tailem Bend for the H2.

As I said, it is what it is, just getting withdrawals though! And the permanent loctite sounds a better deal too!

Cheers.
post #13 of 14 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Yep locktight green here , the hi strength bearing retainer type , and i have never used a torque wrench on a cam bolt, there all set to AFT (awfully Fuggen Tight)
after setting the cam timing i remove 1 bolt at a time , rinse the whole area in locktight primer , put enough locktight in the thread that some spills out and gets behind the gear and around the bolt in the gear slot or hole, then again a light dab on the bolt and install, tightening with a long flat sided ring spanner (wrench to you guys) and the limiting factor on tension is the motor , it starts to rotate as you get near tight enough
some of my Suzukis have had this done multiple times without bolt stretch or fatigue being noticable
H2015 likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old Today, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
All good info here, looks like the permanent loctite is the way to go regardless of what manuals say!

Interesting method you use OzBooster for tightening & using the motor to gauge tension, I guess if it's able to turn it over then that's enough tension on the bolt right there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page