Sprint P08-F85 Long term - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sprint P08-F85 Long term

I am doing my winter servicing on the H2. And I purposely left the Sprint P08-F85 filter go for 5000 miles in the dirtiest, nastiest, dustiest, place you could imagine....Reno, NV. We have construction trucks lined up on our freeways. It is a dustbowl of sand, silt, talc, dustdevils, blowing sand and more dust, everything. Like everyone else I worry about what gets through a filter. Most use the Sprint P08, I took a chance and got the P08-F85 which flows about 4 times the air and is waterproof. So here are the results of this long term test (the bike has 23,000 on it and the filter has 19,000). As you can see the filter is just nasty, really nasty. BUT the clean side is spotless , not a trace of detectable dirt. One picture shows the crumpled towel which I just took a swipe off the outside filter carrier, the towel has nothing more than the oily residue that is the color of the oil. Nothing on the inside. I have been riding bikes for 50 years, I was a professional motorcycle mechanic for a 15, I have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on my bikes. And this just astounds me as to how clean it is on the inside. I do attribute some of the cleanliness to the oil film that gets spit up into the filter, which is just fine with me. All I can say is WOW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_143537.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	25701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_143642.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	25703   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_144108.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	25705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_144138.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	25707  
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
TedG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
I know what you are saying and yes it’s certainly an effective filter but the longer you leave it in there the better it get at filtering even smaller and smaller particles until the point it’s starving the engine of air on a bike that runs rich from new .
Why leave it so long ? I’m only upset as you are putting my 2500 miles 2015 to shame .
Supercharged is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged View Post
I know what you are saying and yes itís certainly an effective filter but the longer you leave it in there the better it get at filtering even smaller and smaller particles until the point itís starving the engine of air on a bike that runs rich from new .
Why leave it so long ? Iím only upset as you are putting my 2500 miles 2015 to shame .
I wanted to see if the filter became clogged enough to hurt performance. Nothing detectable and you could still see through the filter. And I wanted the piece of mind. And I do like it dirty because of the extra filtering. But the dirt does hang on to the oil on the filter.
TedG is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Rick150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Just like the old days when filters had oil in the bottom that was to be replace when doing a service, It was amazing how dirty the oil got. Anyway I put a K&N in my H2, immediate increase in throttle response with a noticeable intake roar. I must admit the OEM one was very dirty at the recommended service interval. It would be interesting to se the result of bad filtration in these machines. What would be noticeable first would be shiny marks on the Super Charger vanes and eventually wear then wear in the bore I guess.
Rick150 is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick150 View Post
Just like the old days when filters had oil in the bottom that was to be replace when doing a service, It was amazing how dirty the oil got. Anyway I put a K&N in my H2, immediate increase in throttle response with a noticeable intake roar. I must admit the OEM one was very dirty at the recommended service interval. It would be interesting to se the result of bad filtration in these machines. What would be noticeable first would be shiny marks on the Super Charger vanes and eventually wear then wear in the bore I guess.
I tried a K&N first and couldn't tell the difference. Then I went to the Sprint from the K&N and noticed the same thing you did.
TedG is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Boosted10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Good stuff! I do love how easy they are to clean. Just some compressed air, and bam back to brand new.

2016 Ninja H2 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest. 1/4 - 7.901 at 181mph - 233.6mph in 1 mile. CMP Built Motor, Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, R&G Undertail
Boosted10R is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-31-2020, 04:57 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my sprint F1 out after i found dirt buildup on the impeller and went back to an DNA oiled filter. I found that if it gets oily it seeps the dirt through the filter. Shame though, it was nice ,and wasn't cheap either.
Splinter is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I am doing my winter servicing on the H2. And I purposely left the Sprint P08-F85 filter go for 5000 miles in the dirtiest, nastiest, dustiest, place you could imagine....Reno, NV. We have construction trucks lined up on our freeways. It is a dustbowl of sand, silt, talc, dustdevils, blowing sand and more dust, everything. Like everyone else I worry about what gets through a filter. Most use the Sprint P08, I took a chance and got the P08-F85 which flows about 4 times the air and is waterproof. So here are the results of this long term test (the bike has 23,000 on it and the filter has 19,000). As you can see the filter is just nasty, really nasty. BUT the clean side is spotless , not a trace of detectable dirt. One picture shows the crumpled towel which I just took a swipe off the outside filter carrier, the towel has nothing more than the oily residue that is the color of the oil. Nothing on the inside. I have been riding bikes for 50 years, I was a professional motorcycle mechanic for a 15, I have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on my bikes. And this just astounds me as to how clean it is on the inside. I do attribute some of the cleanliness to the oil film that gets spit up into the filter, which is just fine with me. All I can say is WOW.
So how did you clean that? Was compressed air adequate? Reason I ask is my filters get kinda nasty and was wondering If I should "wash" it.

2019H2 Carbon ordered. Better late than never!
2017 S1000RR On its way out. Will be missed..
2012 Tri-color Panigale...Pizza burner, was fun.
2015 R1200RT People mover...
D.Kinsey is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey View Post
So how did you clean that? Was compressed air adequate? Reason I ask is my filters get kinda nasty and was wondering If I should "wash" it.
Just as the instructions said, blew compressed air through it.
TedG is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Just as the instructions said, blew compressed air through it.
Directions also noted that if needed to wash and blow dry and slap it in too....That's why I brought it up, Thanks!

2019H2 Carbon ordered. Better late than never!
2017 S1000RR On its way out. Will be missed..
2012 Tri-color Panigale...Pizza burner, was fun.
2015 R1200RT People mover...
D.Kinsey is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome