Can - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can

With the 2019 model being able to communicate with a phone via Bluetooth it got me thinking why not earlier models. Well I managed to read off any parameter I wish now on my 2017 real time.

All I need it to write an app similar to Rideoligey rather than what I can now which is log the CAN BUS as a graph. It's not that difficult but time consuming. Does anybody write apps for either iPhone or Android?

So, what I did was make up a permanently connected CAN reader that will communicate via Bluetooth. Don't worry, it has password requirements.

Here is the read of my VIN and what protocol it's using.
Also where the unit is fitted, on the intake tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD2_2731.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	25213   Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD2_2730.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	25215  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
I have written a few Android apps. What did you use for the CAN reader? If you have that, then it is a matter of decoding the mfg specific stuff. I have been thinking about it, just didn't have time to do the CAN reader. But if you have it, we could do much more than just an app, a display is not tough. It looks like you are plugged into the diag port. I bought a couple of the ELM -327 but haven't gotten around to getting or building an adapter. And I'm not sure it will transmit anything but the standard set of control codes.

Last edited by TedG; 05-14-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
You have the right unit but it has to be V1.5. Start by taking the unit apart, remove the circuit board and cut off the OBD2 male connector. If your going to do it then I will give you the points to solder to. It reads and writes, its only a dumb terminal with baud rate sensing. It will just transmit or receive anything on the BUSS. All the fancy stuff is done in the app.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick150 View Post
You have the right unit but it has to be V1.5. Start by taking the unit apart, remove the circuit board and cut off the OBD2 male connector. If your going to do it then I will give you the points to solder to. It reads and writes, its only a dumb terminal with baud rate sensing. It will just transmit or receive anything on the BUSS. All the fancy stuff is done in the app.
So you just used a ELM-327 straight in. Now the question remains, does it filter out non - standard codes. I'm 99% sure it doesn't. The picture you provided showing the bits, was a bit weird. Using an 11 bit protocol, which it is. the only properly formatted message was starting at the 11th bit(should be 12th) and it was a 7E0 Physical request CAN identifier from external test equipment to ECU #1 . Then after that nothing looks correct. I admit I need to dig in a bit further to get a better understanding.

Did you use the provided software with it to get what you posted?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The unit is rebuilt and connects directly to the Diag connector. Don't take to much notice of the screen shot. What I did was use other software that was looking for the same codes, air pressure, Vin number, battery voltage, temperatures etc. As I said, the unit just passes along the information it sees, in or out, all the filtering is done in the App software.
From what I have seen I suspect is that when you change any mode the code is put on the buss and read. Whether it is done externally or rider button input is of no concern to the H2 just the correct code and that's the secret, what are all the TX/RX codes for the H2? Some may not be there for pre 2019 or there could be a lot of codes that KHI don't think the average rider should have access to.

Maybe ask KHI directly for the code list in HEX, it's not exactly a state secret, they are on the buss anyway.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick150 View Post
The unit is rebuilt and connects directly to the Diag connector. Don't take to much notice of the screen shot. What I did was use other software that was looking for the same codes, air pressure, Vin number, battery voltage, temperatures etc. As I said, the unit just passes along the information it sees, in or out, all the filtering is done in the App software.
From what I have seen I suspect is that when you change any mode the code is put on the buss and read. Whether it is done externally or rider button input is of no concern to the H2 just the correct code and that's the secret, what are all the TX/RX codes for the H2? Some may not be there for pre 2019 or there could be a lot of codes that KHI don't think the average rider should have access to.

Maybe ask KHI directly for the code list in HEX, it's not exactly a state secret, they are on the buss anyway.
I believe you are correct all the data is on the bus, the device probably will pass everything on through. From what I gather the ISO spec gives the standard data and the mfg, can put in it's own stuff, which may be hard to find. I need to study when I get the time. And I need to get it hooked up, I may just get an adapter, I think Woolich offers one. That way I can try a few different approaches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page