AEM gauges and AQ1 ODBII datalogger. - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AEM gauges and AQ1 ODBII datalogger.

Mentioned this in a another post and putting it up here so it's all in one place.

So after much head scratching I worked out how I wanted to mount the AEM AFR and Boost gauges.

The gauges are pretty much just the face-plate and weigh next to nothing so can be mounted simply. They didn't really fit under the fairing (nearly fitted, but not quite) so mounting off the two fluid brackets was "plan-B".

Some 30mm x 3mm aluminum bar and a couple of hours bending and twisting them in a vice to suit and I'm pretty happy. They don't look like much but there are lots of different angles to get the bracket and the gauge to sit right. A quick spin on the polishing wheel helped make them look more presentable too.

The AFR gauge has 2 plugs in the back, one for power and comms, the other to the Bosch 4.9 sensor in the exhaust. The notch in the AFR bracket was clearance for one of those plugs.

Both gauges came with wiring to suit, oddly the boost gauge only had serial comms wires and not AEM-Net so I needed to rewire the plug. I then made a little "loom" so the boost gauge runs to the AFR and shares power and comms, also had to terminate the boost gauge with a 120 ohm resistor (as it's one end of the AEM-Net comms). Doco also says you need at least 1 twist per inch on the AEM-Net so don't forget to twist 'em up before covering the loom.

They work really well. Too much information to watch both gauges, the dash and watch where you are going when you "give it a squirt" but nice to be able to glance occasionally when curious and excellent to have them log data so you can review off-bike later.

pics of the gauges and the brackets below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afr-bracket.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	20257   Click image for larger version

Name:	afr-gauge.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	20265   Click image for larger version

Name:	boost-bracket.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	20273   Click image for larger version

Name:	boost-gauge.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	20281   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEM-gauges.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	20289  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
...second part of this post is the datalogger.

The AEM AQ1 ODBII datalogger is a great gizmo for recording direct from the ODBII and has plenty of additional inputs to log other sensors.

Finding somewhere to put 120mm x 120mm x 40mm high (5" x 5" x 1.5") seems like it wouldn't be too hard... until you try!

Wouldn't fit under the fairing nor in the side panels, nor the rear panels, nor the tail... aarrgghh. The best place I could put it was where the battery is under the seat. It would also allow easy access and convenient wiring and allow me to coil-up the unused wiring till I need it.

Looked at half-size lithium batteries in the hope I could drop a smaller battery in there and mount the logger on top. Came close but not quite.

As I plan on moving my battery later I've mounted a lithium one I already had under the rear mudguard. Looks odd but it's only temporary till I sort something better.

The datalogger is as simple or complex as you want it to be. At it's most basic you just need ground, permanent power and ignition switched power. You can then plug in the ODB connector and start collecting data. I also wired the AEM-Net gauges to it and the AQ1 software has a wizard which found them once connected.

About the only suggestion is to toss the 2gb class 2 card and get yourself a class 10 (faster write) which will allow more simultaneous data to be written.

Mounted the remote USB plug in the right cover for easy access without lifting the seat and it's all done.

It's a work in progress but working fine now. I'll continue to run wires to things I want to log (injector cycles etc) as I go along.

The whole world is a dyno if you have good data to use.
;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AEM-AQ1ODBII.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	20297   Click image for larger version

Name:	dodgy-battery.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	20305   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEM-USB.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	20313  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
The other neat thing with the AQ1 is the plug and play GPS
One of my logs from 2012 , The screen is displaying only a few of the logged parameters ,sidebar shows what else is available
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	20321  

post #4 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow, there are some big numbers on there, GPS altitude and MPH certainly standout!
Nice one.

Which serial GPS did you use?

I've used low res ones before (1Hz) but bought a secondhand bluetooth 10Hz one last year. Difference at Phillip Island was looking like I just lapped through the middle of the grandstand on the 1Hz one and with the 10Hz one could see my corner entry and exits.

Tossing-up if I will try and hook-up a bluetooth to serial receiver on the AQ1 and using my existing GPS or just simplify it and get a reasonable serial one.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 AM

Thats a 1hz Garmin gps18 but there is a 5 hz available
Any nema capable devise will plug in
The EGT is from a 0-5v converter from exhaust gas technologies, i find them great as i can use it on exhaust and inlet , radiator, intercooler tank, anywhere you want temp and can log it as a 0-5v input

Bluetooth would certainly open up other options
post #6 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not sure how useful the Bluetooth would be as seems like it can lag a little sometimes but that might be more about the processor on the device than the technology.

EGT converter is a really good tip, ta.
I have a plenty of stainless braid K-type thermocouples stolen from work with a M6 thread (pic below) and the AQ1 seems to support them on the first 4 channels with a pull-up resistor, although I've not tested them yet. I also have a lots of "bead" K-Type thermocouples which 'aint as durable but react faster, perfect in airflow or taped to contact points. Let me know offline if you need any.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thermocouple_25mm.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	20329   Click image for larger version

Name:	thermo-bead.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	20337  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 AM

That open element junction is great for air temp , i have used them a lot over the years , easy to slip under a silicone connector and get temps just about anywhere in the inlet system
post #8 of 11 Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
silicone connector?

Got a picture or a link (not sure what you mean)?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2017, 04:18 PM

Like the connector hose from SC to plenum , Not so many of them on the H2 compared to a turbo bike
post #10 of 11 Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ahh gotcha, understand now.

Yes, that was the first one I was aiming for, seems like useful data to know the heat on blower exit and pre-intercooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List