Ninja H2 banner

Any one care to share experiences with a long trip on this bike

9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Reciprocal 
#1 ·
I'm considering riding from Southern Florida to Tucson, Az via route 10. I've only ridden the bike in 100 mile stretches in the Florida interior and that hasn't been too bad thanks to the cruise control and music. Not sure what 400-500 miles a day would be like though and would appreciate feedback from someone that's done it.
Obvious concerns would be rain and strong winds. Would be doing this in early summer and returning in early fall. In theory this is part touring bike but it is light for long distances and comfort.

#2 · (Edited)
Best deal is to just get out and ride say a 200+ mile day.See how that feels.Then on up some more.I can easily knock off 4-500 miles in one day on my H2.Long ride like you plan,check weather for trip days.Rain's not too bad if ya run around 60-65 or so.How's your bike actually feel after a ride?Sore butt?Muscle stretch?You should definitely be fine on that beastie.Freeway riding should be a lot easier than hittin twisty roads.You probably won't get much of that on your trip.Take lots of healthy snacks with ya and just pull and munch when ya want.Also some sort of drinks.I always go with coffee drinks in my backpack and beef/cheese sticks.Take some tylenol or something for aches.Ear plugs for yer brain.

If you're only doing 100 miles or so now...you need to see how a longer run will be.

#3 ·
Yes agree. I generally don't get sore riding, as I've been a gym rat my whole life and weigh 170 lbs, however I am 65 (lol), but as you suggest a 400 mile stretch (a loop) on straight highway (not the most interesting but would simulate the trip better) is what I need to do before commiting to a longer trip. Thought about shipping it and flying. One of my big concerns is the long desert stretches in west texas, before hitting el paso. Would likely need to control my impulses to speed, put it on cruise control and carry a couple of liters of extra gas just in case. My real desire is to have it in Tuscan and then go up to my old stomping grounds in Utah and Colorado. Some very beautiful canyons and scenery there.

#5 ·
Your window is coming up, if you wait until October you are taking a chance of cold/wet/frozen riding in Colorado, plus daylight hours are shrinking. When you consider your lodging options, you're booking in advance usually, meaning you have to remain on the schedule, and if you bite off more than you can chew, the whole schedule gets fouled. 350 miles per day plus or minus 50 is about the limit I plan for, although my 2,000 mile 2 state trip was almost exclusively mountains and canyon, glorious! I started each day early and wanted to arrive by late afternoon to get cooled down, settle in, relax over dinner, beverage, and turn in early. I packed as light as I could out of necessity, do not have the bags so packing would take me a while longer, bungie'd behind me but carried all I needed. Very little rain to contend with but temps varied from 104-37F. My MSR ISDE Gore-Tex jacket and Pants served well, airy and dry, warm or cool when it had to be. The cruise control was a big help in allowing me to move around, sit upright, stand etc. The heated grips too, when your hands are warm, the warmth flows through your torso. With a fleece collar, I was surprised how comfortable I could remain even when it was below 40 degrees. The Bridgestone S22 tires felt soft and planted at all times, excellent grip and life. I think if you have to make 450-500 miles daily, you are forcing the limits of endurance, darkness and chance, and it will cease to be fun.

I had considered making this trip on my KLR650 as an adventure bike, which would have been great fun also. That bike lacks the cruise control and heated grips but has an all day comfort upright riding position, plenty of room on the wide seat to move about, the fairing offers less wind protection to your torso but your hands are still out of the wind because of the hand guards. I would have gained range between fill-ups and the option to explore off-road but what I would have given up, was that rush of supercharged passing power to get around those long lines of stacked cars, trucks and motorhomes, which really shortened the trip, nice! I don't think you should count on making up a lot of time speeding on the interstate though, you'll just get nailed for it.

My $0.02

#9 ·
Good Post

I would be leaving in late August or early September from Utah/Colorado back to Florida. I am very familiar with the weather there and it's predictable that it's unpredictable. Good advice on the lodging, that is along the lines I was thinking. Also 350 miles a day makes sense and allows for rides with maybe 2 rest breaks (lunch) at a leisurely pace. What gloves did you use? I'm not crazy about the ones I have currently and don't think they would be good for long distances. Also curious on your mpg if you kept track of it. I will likely fill up every 175 miles and am hoping for 40-45 mpg. Not sure how accurate the bike's computer read out is on that. In 6th at 65-70 it seems to indicate 45-50 mpg. I will likely be doing a lot of desert riding, just due to the fact that my first stop will be Tucson to visit my daughter. From there to Utah/Colorado is serious desert. Were you monitoring the weather each day before you ride?

#6 ·
Did you use their panniers and/or did you something else? I'm thinking of putting another bag between the two panniers and travelling from Florida to Colorado. Figure it will take 3-4 days. Looking forward to riding in the mountains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.