18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 01-04-2016, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinlr View Post
Sounds to me like someone is trying to get an H2R legal for the street, I can't imagine any other reason to buy an H2 wiring harness.
If this is the case, I am all ears
Cliff Secord likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frio View Post
Concentrate on the camshafts.

. . Emission probes are melting at the thought of the overlap
post #23 of 32 Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I say when cliff gets his parts sooner or later, he has the admins remove this thread. No need to play out this drama over and over again.

Rhody...
Cliff Secord and SPRAT33 like this.

post #24 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I still have some technical issues to work out but I'm almost positive Kawasaki's engineers intentionally helped in the process. They left the wire routing holes for the turn signal mirrors under the wings, they left the H2's relay controller for the lighting and signals intact, they left the fuses and wiring in the block for the cooling fans and the mounts on the radiator, the front and rear brake lights are wired (but unplugged), all the trip odometer/economy riding functionality is included in the main display (the main display only has one function change from the street version; the flash to pass switch has been converted to a lap timer switch), they even left the blanking plate bolts in the tail long enough to attach an undertail. The literature describes KTRC 1,2 for the track, 3 for 'street conditions' and there are a couple references to street riding in the the service manual and technical information (in fairness they could just be copy/paste leftovers from the H2 docs).

It's not going to be easy per se, but they've done 80% of the work and made it so you never have to cut a single hole anywhere. I love you Satoaki Ichi.

Having both bikes now I can tell you there are quite a few differences and the increased size of the intake on the R isn't just limited to the filter and dual ports - the runner is like twice the size too. I read a cool article last night that talked about the poor dyno numbers the H2R was posting in private hands and it turned out the reason was mostly the size of the rooms the dynamometers were located in. The H2R sucks in so much air it empties the room and then chokes out. They fixed the problem by moving to larger spaces, using a rear tire that wouldn't slip on the dyno drum like the slicks were and then only went 100% on the throttle between 11-14K. This thing is nuts.

A lot of the 'reliability issues' with tuned bikes, the hybrid and low dyno readings with the H2/R seem to be boiling down to not really appreciating how much air the H2 needs to shovel through it's face to make big power. The only reason for the cam difference on the R is to use the longer duration to hold the valves open so the supercharger can push the exhaust gas out of the way at high RPM. The only substantial mechanical difference between the two bikes I can see is airflow, primarily at the intake.

If Ichi the killer wants to chime in, I'd love to know if the signals and headlight functionality are still programmed into the ECU and whether or not the cam/supercharger shoving air through the head will cool the engine enough for prolonged use at low RPM without the fans. Manual only says not to let it idle for more than 5 minutes but they beat these things at Losail for days in sweltering heat without a problem…I guess we'll find out;

selenap and 880turbo like this.
post #25 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Secord View Post
I still have some technical issues to work out but I'm almost positive Kawasaki's engineers intentionally helped in the process. They left the wire routing holes for the turn signal mirrors under the wings, they left the H2's relay controller for the lighting and signals intact, they left the fuses and wiring in the block for the cooling fans and the mounts on the radiator, the front and rear brake lights are wired (but unplugged), all the trip odometer/economy riding functionality is included in the main display (the main display only has one function change from the street version; the flash to pass switch has been converted to a lap timer switch), they even left the blanking plate bolts in the tail long enough to attach an undertail. The literature describes KTRC 1,2 for the track, 3 for 'street conditions' and there are a couple references to street riding in the the service manual and technical information (in fairness they could just be copy/paste leftovers from the H2 docs).

It's not going to be easy per se, but they've done 80% of the work and made it so you never have to cut a single hole anywhere. I love you Satoaki Ichi.

Having both bikes now I can tell you there are quite a few differences and the increased size of the intake on the R isn't just limited to the filter and dual ports - the runner is like twice the size too. I read a cool article last night that talked about the poor dyno numbers the H2R was posting in private hands and it turned out the reason was mostly the size of the rooms the dynamometers were located in. The H2R sucks in so much air it empties the room and then chokes out. They fixed the problem by moving to larger spaces, using a rear tire that wouldn't slip on the dyno drum like the slicks were and then only went 100% on the throttle between 11-14K. This thing is nuts.

A lot of the 'reliability issues' with tuned bikes, the hybrid and low dyno readings with the H2/R seem to be boiling down to not really appreciating how much air the H2 needs to shovel through it's face to make big power. The only reason for the cam difference on the R is to use the longer duration to hold the valves open so the supercharger can push the exhaust gas out of the way at high RPM. The only substantial mechanical difference between the two bikes I can see is airflow, primarily at the intake.

If Ichi the killer wants to chime in, I'd love to know if the signals and headlight functionality are still programmed into the ECU and whether or not the cam/supercharger shoving air through the head will cool the engine enough for prolonged use at low RPM without the fans. Manual only says not to let it idle for more than 5 minutes but they beat these things at Losail for days in sweltering heat without a problem…I guess we'll find out;

Cliff, where are you located?
post #26 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
I'd love to tell you but I'm still getting occasional death threats from another forum member…soooo The North Pole. No wait, Australia. Definitely China.
post #27 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Cliff, this is excellent information indeed, thank you for sharing it.

The runner is larger, although the intake port at the supercharger is of identical size between the two bikes, therefore the flow will be different, it would be worth testing the overall flow characteristics of the two runners.

I would think the larger surface filters also hurt the flow less than the smaller one in the H2.

Frio
Cliff Secord likes this.
post #28 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Cliff, this is excellent information indeed, thank you for sharing it.

The runner is larger, although the intake port at the supercharger is of identical size between the two bikes, therefore the flow will be different, it would be worth testing the overall flow characteristics of the two runners.

I would think the larger surface filters also hurt the flow less than the smaller one in the H2.

Frio
Yep. Straight from Kawasaki's literature on the R; in order to make 300hp the H2R needs a filter with a surface area of 13,000 mm2 to flow enough air.

When looking at the two together, the R's runner has a big gentle U shaped curve with no interruption to give the air the smoothest route of travel possible. The H2 has a 90 degree bend in it straight to the air filter and that whole housing thing wrecking shop. Looking at it the H2's filter location is like a dam in the middle of the Mississippi or the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose. Just the airflow disruption from all that stuff in the way alone has got to be half the problem. The impeller size is the same obviously - it just comes down to how much smooth, clean air you can put in front of it.
post #29 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd love to tell you but I'm still getting occasional death threats from another forum member…soooo The North Pole. No wait, Australia. Definitely China.
You need a refund from spy school if you think you blend in riding an H2R sporting a Rocketter helmet !
Cliff Secord likes this.
post #30 of 32 Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Too bad. Was kinda hoping you were near the middle of the west coast, USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page