45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fast Bike article testing air filters

The My 2015 issue has a test on page 76 where they compare the Sprint Filter, the MWR, K&N, Pipercross, DNA, & BMC. They tested them on a Superflow flow bench at the University of Wales. There were 3 types, at the top were the single layer polyester like the Sprint. Then the woven cotton filters and the worst were the oiled sponge filters. Hello operator, connect me with Sprint Filter.....stat!

Ninja H2 1000
Kawasaki 750 Turbo
CX500C
CX500T
CX650E
CX650T
Hawk
CB750 w/turbo
RG500
V-Max
Katana 1000
Ducati 749R
Screaming Eagle Road King
CBR600F3
Honda Metropolitan
& a dozen battery chargers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 05-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
I have never used any air filter but stock on my 10+ dirt and street bikes. It use to be so I didn't have to rejet carbs. Not sure what my reasoning is now. Probly cuz I'd rather not trade performance for protection. My filter was reached at 2100 miles. It wasn't TOO bad but was a little buggy... I live in the boonies
post #3 of 73 Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
For me that FAST BIKES air filter test fell short. It does seem to suggest polyester filters flow more and filter better than Gauze and even more so than foam.

BUT, why the heck didn't they test the stock filter and show where it rated in the rankings of all the filters tested?

That to me, not testing and showing how the stock filter ranked next to all the aftermarket filters ruined the entire test.

post #4 of 73 Old 05-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Agree, testing the stock filter should have been the first thing they did, and then move on to the others.

Having a baseline to go off of for comparison is key. People need to see the value and difference.
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #5 of 73 Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Check this out. This air filter test that showed how far superior the sprint filter was, has one more interesting twist.

This filter test covered 2 full pages in FAST BIKES magazine, pages 76-77.

I read both pages, sat the magazine down, and when I picked it up again later and turned the page, guess what was on the backside of page 77?

Yep a FULL page advertisement for Sprint Air Filters. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Those sprint filters might be as good as claimed, but as thick as they look I find it hard to believe they flow so much "more" air than either of the 2 brand of 'Race' filters, that are slightly even filters at all.

Lack of posting the Stock filter results and the surprisingly odd Full page Advertisement of the test winning Sprint filter on the very next page makes me doubt the validity of the entire test.
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #6 of 73 Old 05-07-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I agree with all of the above comments. I know a couple people in the magazine business and they will do anything possible to sell ads. If a product had good reviews, that is a natural to get someone to advertise with them. If anyone reads Race Engine Technology, whenever there is an engine story, you can count on ads from the camshaft, piston, and valve train suppliers to follow. I have had to deal with air filters for HVAC a lot over the years and they are very similar to our filters. There is a trend to go with these "V" shaped patterns so that instead of a single flat surface, the material is done in V shaped ridges and essentially doubles the filtering space. If there is anyway to increase the filtered area it makes sense that it will allow more air flow. Yes, I would have preferred a test with a comparison of the stock filter, but I am guessing the manufacturers have (hopefully) done their homework and have tested their own product against the stock filter. In reality they have probably tested all of their competitor's products and have tried to improve on them. If not, why go to the expense of developing a product if you will get shot down in tests like this.
ben1000z likes this.

Ninja H2 1000
Kawasaki 750 Turbo
CX500C
CX500T
CX650E
CX650T
Hawk
CB750 w/turbo
RG500
V-Max
Katana 1000
Ducati 749R
CBR600F3
Honda Metropolitan
post #7 of 73 Old 05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
The other thing is that the normal pressure drop across any decent air filter is a tiny change in air density, i.e. a minuscule change in mass air flow. The pressure drop across the filter could have a significant effect on carb jetting but EFI will just see the current air density and compensate. Bottom line is that any decent air filter will make little difference in power but there can sure be a big difference in filtering. There is usually little wrong with staying stock.
post #8 of 73 Old 05-08-2015, 11:35 AM

Found this picture on Sprints website, looks 100% identical to the one in the Fast Bike test. The difference is, on this graph the worst performing filter is actually labeled OEM Stock where on the Fast Bike graph it is labeled as the Pipe Cross filter. The also have some of the other filter names switched around in order of how they finished in the Fast Bike test, even though the graphs are both identical.

hmmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air_Filter_Elements_Flow_Bench_Analysis_all_performance_air_filters.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	3218  
post #9 of 73 Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
For comparison in the above chart ... Let's pretend for a moment that the dimensions of that filter ("frontal area") are akin to the H2. We don't have enough information to know if that's the case. If they had presented this chart properly and non-dimensionalized the flow rate (basically, correcting it for the "frontal area" of the filter in order to obtain what is properly called the "filtration velocity") we would have been able to figure this out properly, but in the absence of that ...

The H2 will draw approximately 200 litres per second of air at full load = 424 CFM.

If you cross that over into the chart above to try to back-calculate how much pressure drop there would be across the filter at that flow rate ... it's not even on the bottom of the chart.

2 inches of water gauge pressure across the filter (basically, the bottom of the chart ...) is 0.5% of atmospheric pressure. If you make the presumption that the engine's power output is in proportion to air density (which ought to be roughly true if all else were equal) then this is a rounding error, and the differences in pressure drop between filters become of no significance whatsoever in terms of power output. Too small to be of statistical significance if you did back-to-back testing.

Carbureted engines, where air filter pressure drop can affect the suction on the fuel jets and muck with the air/fuel ratio are another matter, but that's not what we are dealing with here.
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #10 of 73 Old 05-08-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I know they speak English in Canada, but GoFaster was way over my head with his answer. I am not nearly smart enough to talk theory, much less in these measurements. I will check to see if the bike runs better with or without an air filter, and then fine tune from there. If there is no difference then on to something else. If there is 5 hp difference, then I have to see if an aftermarket filter can improve on the stocker.

Ninja H2 1000
Kawasaki 750 Turbo
CX500C
CX500T
CX650E
CX650T
Hawk
CB750 w/turbo
RG500
V-Max
Katana 1000
Ducati 749R
CBR600F3
Honda Metropolitan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page