23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 137 Old 12-22-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gears

Is it safe, for road riding, to run stage 2 sc gears with no ic? I'm doing tt3 exhaust, sprint filter and Pcr flash. Toying with the idea of adding gears as I'm a big fella and need more power to move me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 Old 12-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax+h2 View Post
Is it safe, for road riding, to run stage 2 sc gears with no ic? I'm doing tt3 exhaust, sprint filter and Pcr flash. Toying with the idea of adding gears as I'm a big fella and need more power to move me
Not sure if that means you already rode the bike reflashed? If not I'd ride the bike reflashed before then also adding SC gears. You might find it's a handful.

If I was only doing just mile events where temps don't rise like long blasts on the street I'd consider it or even if it was a circuit track bike where after each 20min session I could stop and let the bike cool down. I'd definitely go w/ an intercooler, fuel pump & proper tune though. But I put on a lot of road miles and many of those are in summer temps. & long blasts at high mph. Right now my bike runs nice & cool.

There's a long history of doing reflashes with higher rev limits, currently own 2 bikes & 1 sports car with higher than factory rev limits. You couldn't count how many reflashes have been done reliably over the years this way & the H2 is better built for it than probably any other motor but H2 SC gears are more experimental.

Besides the fact I actually can & do use more peak horsepower you get w/ 1k more rpms on high mph straights especially in the higher gears but adding more power down lower just means even more finesse w/ the throttle on turns, its already a beast. It's not like I've mastered putting down 250rwhp w/ the bike leaned over, very few in the world have so don't a need for more performance in the lower revs, even on the straights where you can put the power down w/ Stage II the front comes up till 5th gear if you snap the throttle.

The results & tech look promising but beside inlet temps without an intercooler theres also the non OEM fitment issue that I'm going to wait to be resolved. I just can't have that in my mind while riding that the lower gear could be backing out, honestly it would drive me mad. For me it's not worth the risk, others differ, that's ok, I respect the opinions & moves of some people running gears & give them props for pushing boundaries but for now because of the way I use my H2, mostly hard street riding, couple of track days & because we don't have any long term usage of gears on the H2, I'm following Brocks lead on it. Just my honest & humble opinion.
rhody, 880turbo, Megaton and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sounds like good advice. Thanks

post #4 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
You can never have to much power. Suppose what v-max is probably thinking is get it all done at the same time. Looking at Ricky Gadsons strip down video it not to difficult. My view is in uk we don't get days that the weather is 30 degrees +. You never get chance here to,open anything up for much distance roads are shorter and busier. Can't see it causing issues of heating but it's expensive if you *uck the engine or supercharger so understand the cautious comments.

On a selfish point it would be interesting to see the figures as we know a base line of what PCR with reflashes can get. 243 bhp with T3 exhaust. 253 with T3 exhaust and filter.
post #5 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
To answer the Vmax's question, I don't think it's recommended to run Stage II SC gears without an intercooler. If you're drag racing and only doing a few runs and giving the bike a chance to cool down then it should be fine. If you're doing high speed highway runs for several miles then you'd be better off getting an intercooler. Riding around town makes no difference. It'd be a waste of money just to ride around town with a stage II SC gear setup.

Keep in mind that it's a very well known fact that a Flashed H2 spilled it's guts on a very fast highway run, and that was without SC gears.

I'm a big fella too, about 230lbs when I'm not training and believe me, a regular H2 with a flash is enough to shock you with a wheelie at 170mph. So, the responsible side of me wants to tell you to just enjoy the bike as is.

These things are no joke and we're waaaaaaay past the point of "Just because one can, doesn't mean he should". hahahahahahaha

Lastly, keep in mind that there are no TRUE long term tests. We're all rolling the dice when we mod these things. Even with a simple flash.
rhody likes this.
post #6 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes, it is risky but as nick said, in the U.K. Their is nowhere you can hold this bike open mile after mile, just bursts through the gears here and there.

When I say I'm big I mean, I would bet I'm by far the heaviest h2 owner. I used to train for strength competitions (strongman etc) until I was told I had a bad lung condition so now train for leisure but when I was ready to compete I weighed just over 27 stones (350lbs) now I'm around 24 1/2 stones.

On the plus side, my mass does help to get the bike away quickly, if I lye down on the tank it hovers but goes very well. Down side is up at the speed limiter, even with my zero gravity screen, aerodynamics are an issue.
post #7 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
**** we got some big H2 owners here. In complete contrast to Vmax I'm bettin I'm the lightest H2 owner on the forum weighting in at 147lbs (no gear). For the last 3yrs I've been training specifically to keep my weight under 150 for power-to-weight ratio on my zx10 superbike for racing, but I'm done with that bike now and focusing on the H2. power-to-weight is off the spectrum now

2016 Ninja H2 ľAkropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Velocity Stacks .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. SBS brake pads .. Lightech gas cap
post #8 of 137 Old 12-23-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Hey Racer172 on the track, and the street, with your setup,
Is your bike always staying cool?

Thanks
post #9 of 137 Old 12-26-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I was wondering if this thread could be used for guys posting their history with their gears mod.
That way it would all be on 1 thread ...
post #10 of 137 Old 12-26-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good idea, would answer original question as best it can be also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page