Woolich Racing Teaser :) - Page 4 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 05-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
pardon me for my ignorance , does getting this ecu tune mean that i wouldnt need a power commander ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fommen View Post
Choose one a nd try to read the ecu. If you choose wrong the software will tell you and you can try another model. Strange though the read serial function is grayed out. Good luck! I really like the software and it feels good to have full control over the ecu.
Thanks for the advice. I still couldn't get it working, when I try to read the ECU the dash just repeatedly lights up like a Christmas tree. Sent some support info to Woolich so we'll see.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
true the dash lights up when you read or write the ecu. Maybe you did the same mistake i did? There are two plugs which will fit with the woolich connector, one grey and one white i think. I plugged the wrong one at first and could'nt read the ecu, when i connected the other plug it worked fine. Don't remember which colour you should use but if you read the instructions from woolich there is a picture showing the colour on the connector you should use.

post #34 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
true the dash lights up when you read or write the ecu. Maybe you did the same mistake i did? There are two plugs which will fit with the woolich connector, one grey and one white i think. I plugged the wrong one at first and could'nt read the ecu, when i connected the other plug it worked fine. Don't remember which colour you should use but if you read the instructions from woolich there is a picture showing the colour on the connector you should use.
Hmm, I might investigate. The one I plugged it into was tucked back in the tail with a blanking cap on it.

When I try to read ECU all of the lights flash on and off repeatedly and it sounds like the ECU keeps resetting, and eventually the software gives me an error saying it can't connect.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post
pardon me for my ignorance , does getting this ecu tune mean that i wouldnt need a power commander ?

The PIG sellers will tell you that you still need the pig, because they want to sell you the pig.

However those experienced with the Woolich software will tell you that you don't need the pig.

I don't run the pig, I tuned my maps inside the ECU.
yavimaya likes this.
post #36 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM

both of the connectors are tucked back in the tail and both have a blanking cap, i did'nt even see the other one at first. The lights will flash on and off when you read/write the ecu so that's "normal".
post #37 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post
You don't need a pc if you can access the ecu. I've asked before why i would need a pc and the answer i got is that the software in the dynojets dyno can create maps for pc and they will be better than the one you can do by yourself using a program like woolich. Maybe that's true, the dyno does'nt only look at AFR numbers but also measures power so there is an advantage. But the dyno can never compensate exactly for ram air effects... I like being able to tune myself so i don't use a pc, just woolich, but each is their own.
yavimaya and selenap like this.
post #38 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
both of the connectors are tucked back in the tail and both have a blanking cap, i did'nt even see the other one at first. The lights will flash on and off when you read/write the ecu so that's "normal".
I didn't even see a second plug, but Woolich just sent me wire colors for the right plug. I won't be able to check until tonight but I can almost bet I just plugged it into the wrong one. Woops! User error. Thanks for the help!
post #39 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rodolforoad
When any of you are running a flash of the ECU would be nice if you would write what benefits obtained. I have mapped hayabusa with Woolich software with good results
SPRAT33 likes this.
post #40 of 40 Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You don't need a pc if you can access the ecu. I've asked before why i would need a pc and the answer i got is that the software in the dynojets dyno can create maps for pc and they will be better than the one you can do by yourself using a program like woolich. Maybe that's true, the dyno does'nt only look at AFR numbers but also measures power so there is an advantage. But the dyno can never compensate exactly for ram air effects... I like being able to tune myself so i don't use a pc, just woolich, but each is their own.
You have two options with the Woolich stuff. You don't have to use it solely for live road/street/track tuning. You can use it on the dyno just as similar to what tuning link conceptually does.

1) Run the USB box solely in engine data mode to get your readouts of TPS, RPM, IAP, gear position, coolant temp, wheel speed, etc. If you have the ZT3 wideband and the Log Box installed you'll also get your live AFR which is sampled 100x/sec. If you don't, then you'll have to rely on the dyno wideband O2 sniffer or something like a Powerdex. So you can set your load with the DJ software, use it's tach pickup to get your RPM and torque values along with HP readout on a DJ dyno. Do your loads and sweeps, make the needed adjustments in the factory fuel cell maps, make any timing, throttle, etc adjustments inside of the ECU and off you go. In addition to the data read out screen you can also pull up the fuel map and activate the fuel cell tracer and see where you are in the IAP and TPS maps. So you can really focus on those off-throttle transitions to smooth things out. Something a piggyback cannot properly do.

2) Use the Log Box Pro kit on the dyno and use it's logging abilities to data log all your loads/sweeps. Of course you'll have to make some manual adjustments to play with the air fuel first to see what your particular bike likes. But after you know that, you can use all the runs/logs you did on the dyno to have the software correct the fueling for you automatically based on the desired AFR tables you input. After that write the new values to the ECU, again using the same factory cells Kawi themselves uses, and you're golden. You can still utilize a DJ O2 sniffer or Powerdex to get a secondary AFR reading to make sure what the ZT3 kit tells you is valid as well as using the tach pickup to get your RPM and torque readings in addition to the HP readings from the DJ dyno. This is the way most shops who use our stuff on the H2 (and other bikes) are now going to because it makes life a lot easier and 10x faster and as we all know time is money.

The only difference between what a piggyback does and what a system like Woolich does is how they work.

The piggyback intercepts the injector pulse and then depending on the map values, it widens or shortens the injector pulse to add fuel (widening the pulse to keep the injector open longer) or remove fuel (shortening the pulse to close off the injector sooner). Same concept with the Woolich software except your editing the values directly at the source. Additionally you have deeper access to the system so you can do extra things like edit timing maps, throttle maps, rev limiters, turning off FI codes, stock O2 sensors, exhaust servo motors, injector balancing, etc., etc., etc. but without having to buy another new module every time you want to change something different outside the scope of a PCV (ignition module to adjust timing, SFM to adjust secondary injectors, etc). They're two very different tools to do the same job. Both can be used on the dyno to the same effect and tune for each individual cylinder if you so desired. ECU read write times are down to less than two minutes now so couple that with the ability to tune on the dyno, you can fully tune a bike on the dyno using the Log Box system in around 2 hours. It becomes more of a cooling issue at that point trying to keep the bike cool as heat soak will set in after a while if you just sit and beat on the bike on the dyno (especially the H2) and throw things off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page