LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick46 View Post
Not wishing to argue but yes I do change down without the clutch sometimes so yes I do know what it sounds like, and a big fat handfull between each downshift (like in the video at 1:10) requires that you disengage the clutch.

These things I know to be true from my own personal experience of riding a motorcycle.
No, it does not require that you disengage the clutch after a 'big fat handful'. All he's doing is unloading the transmission in spirited fashion so the gears can slip in and out easier. I tend do it that way too when there's an audience, I'm riding angry or I'm trying to get someone on a cellphone to hang up and drive.

Comparing your 'sometimes' vs my 100% of the time for 20 years - how sure are you that you're doing it right?

I think maybe the difference in perception here is that your style is more 'row, row, row your boat' and he's using the whammy bar and shredding. You know what I mean? It doesn't always sound like that of course - but occasionally when the spirit moves you....

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 02-20-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefun View Post
Hahahah yup years ago.....I want some auto blip down shift for sure! I could get up and change the channel on my TV but I'd rather use the remote
If I scoop gen 5 bet your ass I'll have auto blip. I rode 15 s1000rr with it and it's awesome.. Bang bang bang many are putting it on r1 too
post #23 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefun View Post
Hahahah yup years ago.....I want some auto blip down shift for sure! I could get up and change the channel on my TV but I'd rather use the remote
I thought of a better analogy; "sure, I could learn to play guitar, but I'd rather just play Guitar Hero."

post #24 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Secord View Post
No, it does not require that you disengage the clutch after a 'big fat handful'. All he's doing is unloading the transmission in spirited fashion so the gears can slip in and out easier. I tend do it that way too when there's an audience, I'm riding angry or I'm trying to get someone on a cellphone to hang up and drive.

Comparing your 'sometimes' vs my 100% of the time for 20 years - how sure are you that you're doing it right?

I think maybe the difference in perception here is that your style is more 'row, row, row your boat' and he's using the whammy bar and shredding. You know what I mean? It doesn't always sound like that of course - but occasionally when the spirit moves you....

Have you ever even ridden a motorcycle or have any idea how they work ?
post #25 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick46 View Post
Have you ever even ridden a motorcycle or have any idea how they work ?
Interesting. I was going to ask you the same thing.

Lets have a disintereted third party chime in and determine who is correct. I'll accept any judgement from a qualified arbiter.

Bah, you know what, scratch that. Lets just make a wager. $1000 cash says I slap a GoPro to my R and replicate that style and sound clutchless downshifting. Or, better yet, 650ib, Knolly (or anyone with a cam wants to hang) can be the chase bike to verify I never touch the lever. They can post the video on their own YT afterward just so I can't be accused of anything.

If we're gonna do this I expect you'll follow the standard rule of letting someone else hold the money? If Knolly or IB will do it, I trust them. We can wait until the day before to deposit the cash with whoever is going to hold it. (I'll give whoever acts as banker $200 or 10% of the total when I collect).

You in or out?

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 02-20-2016 at 08:48 PM.
post #26 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
I would never attempt a manually-throttle-blipped clutchless downshift on the entrance to a corner on a track. I use the clutch on downshifts - always - because the shift is much more reliable and predictable and it avoids any possibility of lurching forward, even momentarily, while in the midst of braking for a corner, and it avoids any possibility of upsetting the suspension. This would be doubly true when riding an unfamiliar and very powerful bike ...

For those reasons, I am pretty sure that test rider was downshifting using the clutch there. I sure would. (20+ years roadracing experience, my name is not Valentino Rossi but I do okay for myself on my vintage race bike)
post #27 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I would never attempt a manually-throttle-blipped clutchless downshift on the entrance to a corner on a track. I use the clutch on downshifts - always - because the shift is much more reliable and predictable and it avoids any possibility of lurching forward, even momentarily, while in the midst of braking for a corner, and it avoids any possibility of upsetting the suspension. This would be doubly true when riding an unfamiliar and very powerful bike ...

For those reasons, I am pretty sure that test rider was downshifting using the clutch there. I sure would. (20+ years roadracing experience, my name is not Valentino Rossi but I do okay for myself on my vintage race bike)
Agree to disagree, I would and do, all the time, at any speed. Maybe not so much on vintage bikes but the new slipper clutches are impossible to upset unless they break. (D*mn things work so well you can't even push start a 10R all the way back to '04 - it just won't lock up.) The dog ring transmission in the H2/R is specifically made for that type of use. I probably wouldn't push my luck full lean, but that guy in the video was still in the straight cutting speed - and if you're still downshifting in a turn, lets be honest, you already screwed up.

I assume people know this stuff but if you don't - don't take my word for it;

"A slipper clutch (also known as a slider clutch or back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you - everyone has their own comfort level, skill level, weapon of choice and style. I'm just saying that guy was doing something I do every time I ride. I know that sound like I do my own voice. Kawasaki was extremely picky about who they let ride the R. I assure you that guy wasn't doing novice overrev/lever downshift moves like that at Sepang on a 320hp race bike with a dog ring transmission and a slipper clutch. There's just no reason to. It'd be adding a whole extra step to the process, upset to the drive train and adding a bunch of unnecessary friction generated heat to the clutch on a system specifically designed for clutchless up/downshifts.
post #28 of 70 Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Does the H2R by default have clutchless downshifting (auto-throttle-blip) enabled?
post #29 of 70 Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

No idea who the rider is, it's the first video I found that shows typical clutch-lever usage on track. Clutchless upshifts, clutched downshifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW6hQlNW-44
post #30 of 70 Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thank you GoFaster...

That is a lovely video of a clutch being used correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page