Moderators - what is their responsibility? - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Moderators - what is their responsibility?

Moderation in moderation?

I watched ZX14.com go from a thriving, exciting, VERY eductional community... to a barren wasteland, due in part to the negative/nasty comments and atmosphere created by a few bad apples. They managed to run off some fantastic/passionate people. No valuable content, no reason to visit - it was a shame.

I also watched as advertisers pulled their dollars away from this toxic environment.

The folks running that show firmly and faithfully believed in the "moderation in moderation" philosophy.

My question: Does banning the few, so that the others can enjoy the site and not be afraid to engage... qualify as censorship?
Or, should we just accept that this is how it is, suck it up and tolerate it (or leave) if we don't like the childish and sometimes distasteful comments here?

Let me know your thoughts,

Brock
Brocks Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I hear what you're saying and I'd welcome input from YSR50 and Administrator - hence I reported your post to get their attention. I hate that some respected members have been driven away by the actions of some others. The internet seems to be a place for people to be misunderstood and misinterpreted.

Now, as someone on the other side of that coin ...

I have a real job to do. In fact, I just got back from today's list of customers to visit and I've still got a couple hours of work to do tonight. The result is that I am not here 24 hours a day 7 days a week ... FAR from it ... and the consequence is that I don't see everything. This is the first time I've logged on today. Too many other things to do. To help us out ... use that "report post" button. It still may take a few hours for someone to see it but the "reported post" messages will eventually get someone's attention. The headache is that those few hours may be what turns a situation from being able to be nipped in the bud, to a big mess with a lot of ticked off people. Unfortunately ... my real job takes priority.

Banning someone requires that they actually violate a rule in a demonstrable fashion. Plenty of people work the system and find out where that line is and stay juuuuust short of crossing it while ticking a whole lot of people off in the process. I know it has happened here. **** hath no fury like an internet forum member scorned ... Just handing out an infraction DOES lead to threatening private messages. Every. Single. Time. Sometimes worse. What it means is that I don't want to ban someone unless I can PROVE that they violated a rule. "Here is the offending post that you made, here's who you offended, here's the rule that you violated."

If the collective opinion of the forum is that a certain forum member ought to go away ... How do we do that? It's really hard to make it happen. A certain pain-in-the-tail forum member here went through at least three different login names. Banning IP addresses doesn't work.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

I just checked our "reported post" log. In the last six months it has only been averaging about one reported post a month and that includes the post that I reported to attract attention to this discussion.

Help us out. If there's deep doodoo flying, hit "report post" and get our attention. We do not and cannot review every post in every thread, so without our attention being drawn to it, it'll only be found by coincidental luck and often after it's too late!

post #4 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Like GoFaster has said, if there is an issue, please hit the report button. For the most part this is a small forum and members are well behaved, but if someone needs to be removed so be it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
post #5 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSR50 View Post
Like GoFaster has said, if there is an issue, please hit the report button. For the most part this is a small forum and members are well behaved, but if someone needs to be removed so be it.
Not sure what your idea of "well behaved is?": http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/attachm...o-img_0510.jpg

Brock
post #6 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Where is the post that links to that image?
post #7 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Not sure what your idea of "well behaved is?": http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/attachm...o-img_0510.jpg

Brock
As has been said above, we do not see all posts so if there is a problem, reporting it helps everyone.

The above image has been removed.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
post #8 of 27 Old 11-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
Like Brock said about ZX14.com the thing that originally attracted me here to NinjaH2.org was the sensible approach of the members and the technical aspect of many of the posts which gave me a chance to share data and experiences with like-minded riders across the world.

I'm a great believer in "don't feed the trolls" and I also recognise that what's ok for some is not ok for others, so it helps if you understand that but should you really have to grow a thick skin?

Quick action by moderators, when required, along with forum members having a general understanding of the basic rules is needed or the forum will die - and no it isn't censorship.

The other way is to have a "Block" button but if that's necessary the forum has already failed.

Last edited by BobC; 11-17-2016 at 09:50 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
...Banning someone requires that they actually violate a rule...
Are there clear definitions of these rules? I appreciate that a clearly vulgar and inappropriate image was removed, that's not the only one - just the easiest to recall from recent memory, and a sincere thank you to YSR50.

Who determines what is an "opinion" vs. defamation?

Brock
Brocks Performance
post #10 of 27 Old 11-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Must admit as a new member i'm amazed at some of the negativity, opinions are great as long as they are communicated in a respectful way... fully agree with questioning this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page