8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ninja H2 in MotoGP? (HA.)

Kawasaki would really like to be back in the GP paddock, if only the rules were different.

At least that's the official line from KRT boss Ichiro Yoda and one I would probably stand by too if my team had won 2 out the last 3 WSBK titles (should have been 3, but I digress).

Yoda feels that not only is the cost of competition too high for Kawasaki, the rules are prohibitive and in fact somewhat anathema to their goals on track

"The necessary investment would not allow us [to compete],

"In the end, you have to sell motorcycles, and other brands sell several million more than us. For them, MotoGP is an investment equivalent to one percent of their sales."

Which is a fair defence when you consider Honda Motor has a market cap of nearly 7 trillion vs the 764 billion of KHI.

"If we were to return, several things would have to change," he said. "At present, the rules are very restrictive. We could not compete with a production-derived motorcycle, for example.

"There are technological solutions that have been adopted by other manufacturers, such as seamless shift gearboxes, that we would never use on our road bikes. It's too expensive, it wouldn't be worth it.

"Of course, if Dorna should change its philosophy and make the rules genuinely open, allowing all manufacturers to experiment freely, maybe we could go back to MotoGP."

What's interesting however is that Yoda tabled the idea of Forced Induction bikes to Dorna, rights holder to both MotoGP and WSBK.

Speaking to RidersMag "Definitely not in the solution of the engine, since the turbo is not allowed by regulation. But H2R is a great project, in the materials and in the frame. In fact we have repeatedly asked Dorna to be able to introduce the H2R in the league and they were open to compromise. They said they will think. Maybe even in MotoGP. We'll see."
Nessuno, selenap, SPRAT33 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Garage
I think that WSB is nearer than MotoGP to the bikes we can buy and run on the road. As current world champions in WSB and Kawasaki's being the most popular make in Superbike and Production racing, I would say that Kawasaki are getting it right.

Producing something like the H2R/H2 "because we can" is brilliant marketing and hasn't exactly been a failure, has it!
post #3 of 11 Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think that WSB is nearer than MotoGP to the bikes we can buy and run on the road. As current world champions in WSB and Kawasaki's being the most popular make in Superbike and Production racing, I would say that Kawasaki are getting it right.

Producing something like the H2R/H2 "because we can" is brilliant marketing and hasn't exactly been a failure, has it!
They are indeed, especially as the other 3 have been neglecting WSBK during the 'dark' years. Although a Yamaha factory effort will be interesting to watch next season.

BUT

Where I find this fascinating is the story of KTM. They're returning with a production based engine as a Factory team for a season before they step back and only supply customer bikes with Factory support. Similar to their Moto3 game IMO.

They're also coming back with a trellis frame, laser robot welded all the good stuff. Small line production, not all dissimilar to what we saw for the H2R.

I think this is the angle Kawasaki may be interested in pursuing...

post #4 of 11 Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Garage
I still don't think it will happen. It would need a complete rewrite of the rule book or a separate race series.

The H2 engine is far too heavy and if the impossible were to happen I would expect a supercharged Moto GP bike to be limited to 500cc or similar.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I still don't think it will happen. It would need a complete rewrite of the rule book or a separate race series.

The H2 engine is far too heavy and if the impossible were to happen I would expect a supercharged Moto GP bike to be limited to 500cc or similar.
Agreed, I don't think it will happen either.

I was just musing that should Kawasaki want to come back, in my opinion they would be most interested in going the KTM-esqe route instead of a full on commitment like the other Japanese 3.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
There are many things to consider, tires (due to weight), brakes, track layouts (if gearing were raised) one could see 225+ or more on long straights, if certain tracks, like COTA for instance or Mugello added another 2000 feet to their longest straights, then it may be possible to reach these velocities. Fuel consumption would limit races to much shorter distances, and the bikes would need extensive wind tunnel testing. The list goes on and on.

To be honest I would like to see a special once a year motogp race with H2R's and current motogp bikes with all electronic aides turned off, and of course on the safest track on the schedule. That would be interesting. British SuperBike if I remember correctly did this a few years back and the riders readily adjusted. The thought of 24 H2R's on the same track going head to head would be a thrill for sure, and just for shits and giggles they could choose to run with all electronic aids off if they desired to. The rider with the best senses and very precise control of the throttle, brakes, tire mastery and body english would prevail I am sure. It is a pipe dream for sure, but it would be great to watch.

Rhody...
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2015, 06:51 AM

Garage
I think this guy would be interested.

James Hillier, who rode the H2R around the TT course this June and set the fastest ever recorded speed.

I was lucky enough to meet him at the GT Motorcycles open day and chat with him over lunch.
h2rcx and ben1000z like this.

Last edited by BobC; 01-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
James did a full tank of fuel in 20 minutes. Luckily my tank won't mind being remodeled !

Spoke to James's technician yesterday and got the sequence of what to do to fire it up again. Had the pleasure of studying a H2R at leisure. Still by far the most bonkers bike ever. Been to see my bike today, well enough to crouch down and inspect it a bit. Hope to get it on bench during xmas week when enough mates will be off work to help lift!

Heard a funny on the other night...

Several mates were leaving Le Mans,,,Over the years of going the road layouts have changed and instead of navigating roundabouts there are slip lanes that enable the fast flow of traffic heading north. One guy who thinks he can get the jump on the pack peels off too early,,,90 mph through a McDonalds drive through. Made funnier by the fact he is vegetarian. WTF's he doing? Oh dear.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2rcx View Post
Had the pleasure of studying a H2R at leisure.
Is that the one at Bournemouth Kawasaki?

I was over there in November... First time I'd seen the H2R in the flesh. They never brought any to New Zealand as far as I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H2R Bournemouth1.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	9194   Click image for larger version

Name:	H2R Bournemouth2.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	9202  
SilverbirdH2 likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2rcx View Post

Heard a funny on the other night...

Several mates were leaving Le Mans,,,Over the years of going the road layouts have changed and instead of navigating roundabouts there are slip lanes that enable the fast flow of traffic heading north. One guy who thinks he can get the jump on the pack peels off too early,,,90 mph through a McDonalds drive through. Made funnier by the fact he is vegetarian. WTF's he doing? Oh dear.
fastfood, duh...

That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."- Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page