36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unusual Tire Wear

So when I got back from my last track session I noticed a very strange tire wear on the rear. Tires are Dunlop GPA Pro medium compound. I sent these images to the Dunlop distributer where I bought them (this distributer supplies all the spec tires for MotoAmerica races). After a couple days he called me back and said that neither he nor Dunlop reps up the ranks have ever seen tire wear like this. They are speculating from the pics that the HP to the rear wheel was deforming or changing the contact patch to the pavement and resulted in parts of the tire not getting wear.. or at least that’s what little I got out of the explanation on the phone. They’ve asked me to ship the tire to Dunlop in Buffalo so they can cut into it for further examination. They are sending me a new tire + shipping label. I’m thinking this is probably a unique situation with this tire, cause I doubt anyone has put GPA Pros onto an H2R.

BTW the tires were new when I went to the track and I rode all sessions on TC1

2016 Ninja H2 –Akropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Velocity Stacks .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. SBS brake pads .. Lightech gas cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
That is very strange?
post #3 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Same didn't happen on both side? I would say it's something to do with the tc. If it happens on the next set it may be worth doing a couple of laps at 90% but with tc off. I got some odd patterns on my stock tyres after some moderate road riding but nothing that drastic, was obviously tc interference, it was on tc2
racer172 likes this.

post #4 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Tire deformed in the mold ? Like it was raised and then shallow ? Like humps up and down, so the humps were taking all the concrete and the valleys didnt touch ?

NOLA
post #5 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
Tire deformed in the mold ? Like it was raised and then shallow ? Like humps up and down, so the humps were taking all the concrete and the valleys didnt touch ? NOLA
no it wasn't a mold issue, the tire looked normal fresh, and I doubt it was a tire issue, more likely it was an issue with the amount of power delivered to the rear wheel deforming the contact patch to the surface. But like Vmax brought up it is strange that it wasn't on both sides.

2016 Ninja H2 –Akropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Velocity Stacks .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. SBS brake pads .. Lightech gas cap
post #6 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Garage
Strange it wasn't on both sides but based on the universal pattern around each sipe almost looks like when leaned on the edge of the tire the rubber was folding in at each sipe where there is essentially a weaker point/cut/less rubber, so not contacting the pavement w/ as much pressure.
post #7 of 89 Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Wow.. That looks really bad. I was hoping to throw on a set of Dunlop's this season but I might just stick with the OEM's. Did it cause any issues while you were out on the track?
post #8 of 89 Old 01-05-2017, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Doubt it's a hp issue seen lots tyres from bikes with LOTS more horsepower than a H2 with normal track wear. I would guess it to be suspension set up issue, faulty valving or electronic failure within the system.
I ran GPAs for years and were a reliable tyre, but another possibility is carcass is faulty as been said already...
Tyre manufacturers are always in denial about their product (if defective or fails) for obvious reasons (assuming the tyre is defective) and have seen similar responses in the past in which they supply another tyre to keep you "happy". I wouldn't trust them one bit. Had my own problems with manufacturers tyres and other bike suppliers and are always reluctant to be truthful or take accountability.
If nothing is resolved by the tyre experts I would be inclined to put another one on the bike and turn off t/c to eliminate that possibility, then start looking elsewhere... just a thought
Be interesting to see what it is

Last edited by Jeffro; 01-05-2017 at 04:18 AM.
post #9 of 89 Old 01-05-2017, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
if you lift the rear off the ground and have someone tray wriggle your tyre \ rim side to side does it move? it could be a defective rear bearing
Megaton likes this.
post #10 of 89 Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
That type of wear is usually associated with suspension set up and/or tyre pressures, however, were you feeling the TC biting more on a particular corner

With regard to it being one side only, doesn't matter, when you ride on a track, the corners/speed/lean angle/contact surface are inevitably different on left and right handers

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page