2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-11-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Evotech Tail Tidy destroys turn signals

Ever since I have put on the Evotech Tail Tidy, I have been chewing through turn signals. I've had to replace the left once twice, and today the right one died. A $125 OEM part, this starts to add up. All 3 times, I can hear something has come loose inside. I cracked the last two open and it is a resistor on the circuit board that holds the LEDs (both times). Somehow the design of the Evotech fender eliminator kit allows too much vibration from the chassis to come through, enough to weaken and eventually break the soldered connection of the resistor on the PCB.
It would be trivial to replace the resistor but unfortunately the turn signal is glued together. It is impossible to get to the circuit board without cracking open the housing.

I've ordered the new tail kit from Yoshimura, hopefully that one is better. If not, I'll just have to go back to the long OEM fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
very strange... I just purchased it and will install it in a few days... will try to pay attention.

The thing I see now, is the OEM fender will in any case INCREASE vibrations, because is extremelly rigid and is longer, so vibration is amplified... a shorter fender (and still rigid) will lower the vibration amplitud for sure...

I can not imagine how any fender (OEM or AM) can modify the frequency....
post #3 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I don't know the reason but the same is happened to me. Left blinker broke with something dangling inside. I replaced both blinkers with rizoma parts and no more issues.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
I have only done around 800 miles since fitting mine and no problems as yet , I live up a bumpy lane and have to use a few miles of country roads before I get to smoother A roads .
Keeping the standard indicators was important to me as to my eye they look good so hopefully I won't have the problems you have experienced .
post #5 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
In Virginia, turn signals are not a requirement to pass inspection. (Hand signals are the replacement)

Here is what I use, $39.99 shipped, off of eBay:

They also offer a model for $10 more, that uses small, aftermarket turn signals, and includes a light for the license plate.

Shane

Last edited by Warp12; 06-12-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have only a couple hundred miles on mine but now I'm concerned, honestly I didn't mind the diving board stock fender too much for some reason..
post #7 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepusher View Post
I have only a couple hundred miles on mine but now I'm concerned, honestly I didn't mind the diving board stock fender too much for some reason..
I loved the 'diving board stock fender " but my guide dog said it had to go .
Warp12 and SPRAT33 like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Also got evotech, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion the tail tidy is causing this problem? Have you put your original tail piece back on for a few miles to test? Why only evotech and not others? I got the evotech because it appears much better quality than others. I have no problem yet but I have only done 60 miles so my input at this time is irrelevant
post #9 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I think it is probably some kind of resonance, the metal arm on the kit has some natural frequency that could match one from the engine at highway speeds or something like that.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
7000 miles w/ the Evotech tail tidy, haven't had an issue w/ turn signals and I live in NY & often travel around/through the city. Not sure how there would be more vibration vs oem but obviously something is wrong, good luck sorting it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page