AIR IS POWER - DNA Air Filter for the H2 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
My issues with k&n on my Porsche were because it's an oiled filter. The oil finds its way on to the maf sensor and quickly causes malfunction. It can be cleaned with an electrical cleaner but very quickly permanently damaged the maf requiring a £600 replacement each time so, to have option of oil free, then I'm on it even though I know the h2 does not have the same issue as my Porsche I still would rather not have that oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
@Jeffro

I am not sure if I am as passionate as I am just following the leader on it. The majority of guys on the Ducati boards, and myself use the Sprint 08 on their 1199,1299's and the 16 on the track bikes. Its a really widely used filter in Moto GP. Does that mean that they just pay the most to be a sponsor, maybe. But im hard pressed to think guys at the highest levels of competition, looking for every last HP, would go with an inferior filter regardless of sponsorship. I used it on my other bike and had zero issues, everybody who used it found performance gains (Over stock filter). On the other side. I have a oil impregnated filter on my supercharged truck and it works for me. The cleaning and oiling does have its drawbacks, but thats all that's available for my application. In the overall I will go with the one that a ton of racers use and I have previous empirical data from.

Look at number 11.
Sprint Filter - The Best Air Filter - info@sprintfilter.com

Again, both will do a way better job over the OEM cotton one. and some vendors are WAY different than others.

NOLA
Ok mate fair comments. I not only want the best performing filter in regards to hp but also to do the best job at filtration. It's always tough to know what's best in both departments because of what you say in regards to paying the most and being prominent, but this doesn't mean it does the best job both ways. The way I look at it is in MotoGP there would definitely be a bias towards hp rather than filtration for obvious reasons, so it makes it hard to choose. Thankyou again for that input
Jeffro
post #13 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
You could always look at it like this....if the micron sized dirty particles made it past the filter and got into the impeller blades, they are spinning at the speed of sound at full throttle and would play slice and dice on the particles before they even got into the motor....Its not like its a 69 Boss 302 and sucking straight crap into the 650 Holley dual feed double pump and filling the combustion chamber.....at least we have a Veg-O-Matic to slice and dice the particles up before the motor

Ok...maybe not.

NOLA
Jeffro likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon0721 View Post
DNA is an oil type filter, it does mean the cotton layers are soaked with oil. Sprint filter is a non-oil type, since it's made of polyester and doesn't require oil. For me performance wise they're both great, the major difference is in cleaning. With DNA you have to wash the filter to get rid of all the dirt, let it air dry, and then re-apply the oil layer to trap the dirt again. With sprint, all you have to do is blow it with compressed air and brush off all the dirt. No need to wash and no need to oil the surface. Regard the OEM filter, it's simply a paper filter you have to replace when dirty, and it's very restrictive too, because has around 40% less flowing area compared to DNA or Sprint. Alternative choices could be BMC (same oil style like DNA) or K&N, oiled filter too but I don't like a lot, not because of the quality, but because has a restricted flowing surface similar to OEM.
Appreciate the information Simon0721
Regards
Jeffro
Simon0721 likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-29-2017, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have the K&N in mine along with the Brocks stage 2 package. Wondering if I should get either the Sprint or the DNA filter for better performance? Not to worried about the oil on the filter but mainly the difference in the size of those 2 filters in regard to how much more air they flow compared the K&N and or stock air filter. Leaning towards the Sprint race filter. I only ride the H2 on sunny days and only about 500 miles a year.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
I've gone through a couple of OEM filters so have received them new in the package, they're oiled as well. Believe Kawi calls it a 'wet paper filter'.

Running DNA & w/ the reflash the bike seems to really like the additional airflow, less soot at the muffler tip as well w/ the reflash & DNA compared to the OEM filter.
selenap likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Correction to my previous post

I thought I had the DNA filter in, but when I removed & cleaned it before my last trackday I noticed it's not, it's a Sprint filter, the one Brock's recommends, and it's a dry filter.
Here's the link if you want to see the specs:

Brocks Performance: Sprint Filter Information Page

and here's pics of mine:

2016 Ninja H2 –Akropovic Exhaust .. Stage III gears .. Velocity Stacks .. H2R Fuel Pump .. DynoJet PCV .. DNA race filter .. FlashTune .. DynoTuned .. BST wheels .. Yosh fender eliminator.. SBS brake pads .. Lightech gas cap
post #18 of 21 Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer172 View Post
I thought I had the DNA filter in, but when I removed & cleaned it before my last trackday I noticed it's not, it's a Sprint filter, the one Brock's recommends, and it's a dry filter.
Here's the link if you want to see the specs:

Brocks Performance: Sprint Filter Information Page

and here's pics of mine:

Yes, it's a clearly a Sprint filter and it's also the P16 model, a filter that theoretically is only recommended for race use and not for the streets.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
I just got the p08. Hope it does the job
Jeffro likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Garage
Simon0721 beat me to it, by the color of the filter that's the P16.

I've been running DNA's filter & they're supposed to last a very long time but since I've already cleaned it a number of times & I need to take the bike apart to fit some new parts anyway decided to order a new DNA from Brocks. I ordered it on Thursday, it was shipped the same day & I received it today (Tuesday), pretty darn fast process, nice job as usual w/ Brocks.

Anyway, was just reading some interesting info off the back of box about how the filter oil creates a static charge w/ the cotton media filtering dust as small as 5 microns. Believe the Sprint filters are 80 microns.

The DNA might be the best bet/compromise for street riding/higher air flow vs filtering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja H2 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page