Ninja H2 banner

Gears

50K views 152 replies 20 participants last post by  Fastbear 
#1 ·
Is it safe, for road riding, to run stage 2 sc gears with no ic? I'm doing tt3 exhaust, sprint filter and Pcr flash. Toying with the idea of adding gears as I'm a big fella and need more power to move me:)

#2 ·
Not sure if that means you already rode the bike reflashed? If not I'd ride the bike reflashed before then also adding SC gears. You might find it's a handful.

If I was only doing just mile events where temps don't rise like long blasts on the street I'd consider it or even if it was a circuit track bike where after each 20min session I could stop and let the bike cool down. I'd definitely go w/ an intercooler, fuel pump & proper tune though. But I put on a lot of road miles and many of those are in summer temps. & long blasts at high mph. Right now my bike runs nice & cool.

There's a long history of doing reflashes with higher rev limits, currently own 2 bikes & 1 sports car with higher than factory rev limits. You couldn't count how many reflashes have been done reliably over the years this way & the H2 is better built for it than probably any other motor but H2 SC gears are more experimental.

Besides the fact I actually can & do use more peak horsepower you get w/ 1k more rpms on high mph straights especially in the higher gears but adding more power down lower just means even more finesse w/ the throttle on turns, its already a beast. It's not like I've mastered putting down 250rwhp w/ the bike leaned over, very few in the world have so don't a need for more performance in the lower revs, even on the straights where you can put the power down w/ Stage II the front comes up till 5th gear if you snap the throttle.

The results & tech look promising but beside inlet temps without an intercooler theres also the non OEM fitment issue that I'm going to wait to be resolved. I just can't have that in my mind while riding that the lower gear could be backing out, honestly it would drive me mad. For me it's not worth the risk, others differ, that's ok, I respect the opinions & moves of some people running gears & give them props for pushing boundaries but for now because of the way I use my H2, mostly hard street riding, couple of track days & because we don't have any long term usage of gears on the H2, I'm following Brocks lead on it. Just my honest & humble opinion.

#4 ·
You can never have to much power. Suppose what v-max is probably thinking is get it all done at the same time. Looking at Ricky Gadsons strip down video it not to difficult. My view is in uk we don't get days that the weather is 30 degrees +. You never get chance here to,open anything up for much distance roads are shorter and busier. Can't see it causing issues of heating but it's expensive if you *uck the engine or supercharger so understand the cautious comments.

On a selfish point it would be interesting to see the figures as we know a base line of what PCR with reflashes can get. 243 bhp with T3 exhaust. 253 with T3 exhaust and filter.

#5 ·
To answer the Vmax's question, I don't think it's recommended to run Stage II SC gears without an intercooler. If you're drag racing and only doing a few runs and giving the bike a chance to cool down then it should be fine. If you're doing high speed highway runs for several miles then you'd be better off getting an intercooler. Riding around town makes no difference. It'd be a waste of money just to ride around town with a stage II SC gear setup.

Keep in mind that it's a very well known fact that a Flashed H2 spilled it's guts on a very fast highway run, and that was without SC gears.

I'm a big fella too, about 230lbs when I'm not training and believe me, a regular H2 with a flash is enough to shock you with a wheelie at 170mph. So, the responsible side of me wants to tell you to just enjoy the bike as is.

These things are no joke and we're waaaaaaay past the point of "Just because one can, doesn't mean he should". hahahahahahaha

Lastly, keep in mind that there are no TRUE long term tests. We're all rolling the dice when we mod these things. Even with a simple flash.

#6 ·
Yes, it is risky but as nick said, in the U.K. Their is nowhere you can hold this bike open mile after mile, just bursts through the gears here and there.

When I say I'm big I mean, I would bet I'm by far the heaviest h2 owner. I used to train for strength competitions (strongman etc) until I was told I had a bad lung condition so now train for leisure but when I was ready to compete I weighed just over 27 stones (350lbs) now I'm around 24 1/2 stones.

On the plus side, my mass does help to get the bike away quickly, if I lye down on the tank it hovers but goes very well. Down side is up at the speed limiter, even with my zero gravity screen, aerodynamics are an issue.

#7 ·
**** we got some big H2 owners here. In complete contrast to Vmax I'm bettin I'm the lightest H2 owner on the forum weighting in at 147lbs (no gear). For the last 3yrs I've been training specifically to keep my weight under 150 for power-to-weight ratio on my zx10 superbike for racing, but I'm done with that bike now and focusing on the H2. power-to-weight is off the spectrum now :eek:

#11 ·
Hey Racer172 on the track, and the street, with your setup,
Is your bike always staying cool? Thanks
Yes, so far. I've been careful not to keep it up in the high RPMs for extended periods. Usually doesn't go above 200f. At one point on the track a couple weeks ago I was out there for 20+ min. pushing hard and it climbed to 220f so I took 1 cool-down lap and boost temp came down. 230-240f is the danger zone for meltdown. I will be installing the intercooler soon.

#12 ·
So, I noticed, bear racing do a stage 1 gear which is a small increase in boost and just changes the top gear. Might do this with the flash, filter and exhaust for this season and then go further, if necessary, this time next year. Any thoughts/experience with bear racing products?

#17 · (Edited)
The information about rider weights is interesting. I'm around 14 stone, or 90 kilo, plus a bit when kitted up. My race leathers etc probably add another stone.

The H2 accelerates so strongly that rider weight has a lesser effect than on many other bikes. Look at it this way, if you can't get onto full throttle without it wheelying then rider weight is not a factor.

My H2 needs to be in fifth gear before I can get anywhere near wide open throttle, even then it needs care. Believe me, when doing a standing-mile top speed run and it's still trying to pick the front up at over 180 mph you have enough power.

By far the biggest limitation to a high top speed on the H2 is it's poor aerodynamics.

I have Don's flash 1 which is the early version and it still has the 13,000 rev limit. Since my bike's peak is at 12,000 it's geared accordingly. However, since I have already set the UK records for the Stock class I am considering the supercharger gears as a way to be competitive in the Modified Stock class - but I will probably need the later ecu flash and I assume it will need a lot more fuel. Does anyone know where the limit is with the standard fuel pump and injectors?

#18 ·
The information about rider weights is interesting. I'm around 14 stone, or 90 kilo, plus a bit when kitted up. My race leathers etc probably add another stone.

The H2 accelerates so strongly that rider weight has a lesser effect than on many other bikes. Look at it this way, if you can't get onto full throttle without it wheelying then rider weight is not a factor.

My H2 needs to be in fifth gear before I can get anywhere near wide open throttle, even then it needs care. Believe me, when doing a standing-mile top speed run and it's still trying to pick the front up at over 180 mph you have enough power.

By far the biggest limitation to a high top speed on the H2 is it's poor aerodynamics.

I have Don's flash 1 which is the early version and it still has the 13,000 rev limit. Since my bike's peak is at 12,000 it's geared accordingly. However, since I have already set the UK records for the Stock class I am considering the supercharger gears as a way to be competitive in the Modified Stock class - but I will probably need the later ecu flash and I assume it will need a lot more fuel. Does anyone know where the limit is with the standard fuel pump and injectors?
To answer your last question, I'm running the Stage II SC gears with only the lower injectors spraying more fuel with the PCV. I've had no issues with fuel starvation relating to fuel pump limitations. I used the dyno as my testing ground. I believe they say you should upgrade the fuel pump when you go stage III. I get 66-75 miles on a tank now with the Stage 2 depending on how hard I'm thrashing it. Definitely a guzzler for sure, but I've had no starvation issues.

#20 ·
Heat is an issue for H2's in general.

Here are my thoughts/opinions on the Stage 1 and 2 in bullet point format:

• Highway droning at a steady pace - Heat is not an issue
  • Track Day sessions of 15 minutes - Heat is not an issue
  • Drag Racing at the strip - Heat is not an issue
  • A Single Top Speed Run - Heat is not an issue
  • Moderate RPM Canyon runs - Heat is not an issue

• Dyno Sessions. Bike needs to cool down periodically - Heat is an issue
  • Fast Highway runs at redline for 30+ miles - Heat is an issue
  • Hard riding in the dead of summer - Heat is an issue
This is just off the top of my head based on my personal experience. This list could obviously grow down the road.

#22 ·
Turbo329, who tuned your bike? I'm in the uk and thinking of using a company called Pcr as they are local to me and have done a few h2's with good results. They have not done one with gears yet and are a little apprehensive. I believe they use ftecu but not 100% on that. They do however set up the bike on a dyno and have a very good reputation. What should I look out for? Also, who did you buy your gears off? Thanks for the help and advice.

Bobc, I'm probably the heaviest person on a h2. I find I can really get on the throttle early as I can manoeuvre my huge mass around well, I'm very flexible, so this helps with wheel spin/wheelies. Obviously the down side is the bike will ultimately be slower carrying more weight and I do have problems at high speed tucking in:(

#23 ·
Turbo329, who tuned your bike? I'm in the uk and thinking of using a company called Pcr as they are local to me and have done a few h2's with good results. They have not done one with gears yet and are a little apprehensive. I believe they use ftecu but not 100% on that. They do however set up the bike on a dyno and have a very good reputation. What should I look out for? Also, who did you buy your gears off? Thanks for the help and advice.

Bobc, I'm probably the heaviest person on a h2. I find I can really get on the throttle early as I can manoeuvre my huge mass around well, I'm very flexible, so this helps with wheel spin/wheelies. Obviously the down side is the bike will ultimately be slower carrying more weight and I do have problems at high speed tucking in:(
Vmax,

I tuned my bike on the dyno with the help of my friend who runs a dyno tuning center. I started with the Flashtune 2016 ECU File which derestricts the ECU, makes fueling changes, but NO TIMING changes.

Then I did a custom map with those settings with the Brocks Alien Head Slip On.

Once I threw the Stage II gears on, I was given 2 baseline PCV maps by another forum member and I used those as a starting point for my most recent custom maps that I did.

Now I'll be heading back with the Vandemon full system to complete another Custom map.

I have maps for the following settings:
  • FTECU 2016 Flash, Brocks Alien Head Slip On, Rev Limiter at 13,500rpm - AFR at 12.5 ***CUSTOM MAP***
  • FTECU 2016 Flash, Brocks Alien Head Slip On, Rev Limiter at 13,500rpm - SC Gears Stage 2 - AFR at 12.2 - BASELINE MAP
  • FTECU 2016 Flash, Brocks Alien Head Slip On, Rev Limiter at 13,500rpm - SC Gears Stage 2 - AFR at 12.8 - BASELINE MAP
  • FTECU 2016 Flash, Brocks Alien Head Slip On, Rev Limiter at 13,500rpm - SC Gears Stage 2 - AFR at 12.4 ***CUSTOM MAP***
None of my maps require adjustment to the Secondary Injectors.

#25 ·
The PCV is tuned at the dyno.

No flash file will get you the perfect AFR setup. It'll just get you in the ballpark.

There are two ways to go about tuning. You can adjust the fueling with the Flash software or you can use a PCV.

Let your tuner decide the method that he prefers.

#26 ·
Thank you. It'll likely be a couple months by the time it's done but I'll post results. I'm tempted to fit exhaust and gears myself but have been told the exhaust can be difficult and may need 2 sets of gaskets to seal. Also, I'm a little concerned about gears coming loose. Any tips?

#31 ·
Not been out apart from a mild day last week doing Santa xmas run. But was just a slow ride although on way did get the tc coming on. Roads are to greasy, damp even on the milder days. Roll on spring. I waiting for my carbon nose and nostrils to fit so that should keep me busy. When it warms up will meet up at quatt.

#36 ·
I think your talking about 2 very different types of heat
Cooling system will get more thermal load as you increase HP
And Inlet Air Temp which increases as psi rises and not generally affected by cooling system temp or vise versa

Usually stop go traffic is the worst case scenario for cooling system temp, high speed runs have high speed air and lots of it cooling the radiator

quick search for easy to understand temp rise /psi came up with this
Heat Made By The Supercharger
You could fiddle the numbers a bit as a reasonable guess of the compressor effiancy of the H2 , try 78% at 18 psi standard SC gears then try 72-75 % at 25 psi stg 2 gears and drop a % or so if your spinning the motor beyond std rev limiter

#38 ·
With the stage one set up I had read it only made about two more pounds of boost. I don't think two more pounds of boost will create any significant heating issues. Or that's what I'm hoping lol. I really want to add the stage one set up without having to send my ECU back for a reflash to change the timing.

#40 ·
I would definitely take her back to my dyno guy to be sure e tune is spot on. I'm considering doing the full TI system Turbo has and then also add the PVC Autotunner. I have one my Super Duke 1290 and my sons ZX636. They wok great.....just set the air ratios and your all set....But I always like to be sure to have her on the dyno to be absolutely positive :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.